|Meaning||Born of the Yew (Tree)|
|Region of origin||Scotland|
|Related names||Ewan, Ewen, Eoghan, Iwan, Owen|
|Look up Ewan in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Euan is a Scottish, male given name, most common throughout the United Kingdom and Canada, due to the influence of Scots in both nations. It is a derivative of the Pictish name, Vuen (or 'Wen'), which is the Pictish British cognate of Eoghan in Gaelic. It is also, less commonly, a surname.
The name Euan comes from Greek and Hebrew: "Iōannēs" (Ἰωάννης)(New Testament in Greek: St.John's Gospel Ευαγγέλιο του Αγίου Ιωάννη)which in turn comes from the Hebrew "Yochanan", God is gracious. The English equivalent of the name is "John", but the Scottish "Euan" is very close in sound to the original Greek. It is also said to mean "born of the yew (tree)" and is also associated loosely with the Scottish god of the glen. In Gaelic etymology, Euan implies a plethoric (red-faced) individual.
Owain is the predominant Welsh spelling of the name (or Owen when Anglicized), but Iwan and Iuan are also found, as they are in Cornish. Ouen can be considered the French or Breton spelling of the name.
People with the given name
In the arts and media
- Euan Heng (born 1945), Scottish painter
- Euan Kerr, editor of The Beano
- Euan Lloyd (1923–2016), British film producer
- Euan MacLeod (born 1956), New Zealand painter
- Euan Morton (born 1977), Scottish singer and actor
- Euan Uglow (1932–2000), English painter
- Euan Aitken (born 1995), Australian rugby league footballer
- Euan Burton (born 1979), British judoka
- Euan Byers (born 1974), Scottish curler
- Euan Dale (born 1985), Scottish swimmer
- Euan Henderson (born 1967), Scottish snooker player
- Euan McLean (born 1986), Scottish footballer
- Euan Norris (born 1977), Scottish football referee
- Euan Murray (born 1980), Scottish rugby union footballer
- Euan Geddes, 3rd Baron Geddes (born 1937), peer and politician
- Euan Howard, 4th Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal (born 1923), British politician
- Euan McLeod, member of the Scottish Labour Party
- Euan Robson (born 1954), Scottish Liberal Democrats politician
- Euan Wallace (1892–1941), British Conservative politician
In other fields
- Euan Abercrombie, minor character from the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
- Euan Pierce, the lead character from the TV series Off Centre
- From Pictland to Alba: 789-1070, Alex Woolf, Edinburgh University Press, 2007
- Ó Corráin, Donnchadh agus Maguire, Fidelma. Irish Names (1981, 1990). 87-88.
- "Latin Word Lookup". www.archives.nd.edu.
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|