|Euchroma gigantea - Ceiba Borer|
- Euchroma gigantea gigantea (Linnaeus, 1758)
- Euchroma gigantea goliath (Laporte & Gory, 1836)
- Euchroma gigantea harperi Sharp, 1881
- Euchroma gigantea inca Obenberger, 1928
- Euchroma gigantea peruana Obenberger, 1928
Euchroma gigantea is one of the largest of the buprestid beetles (hence the Latin name "gigantea" of the species), reaching a length of about 50–80 millimetres (2.0–3.1 in).
The body of E. gigantea is robust and elongated and the elytra have a wrinkled surface and a metallic green colour with reddish or purplish tinges. The pronotum has a dark spot on each side.  The larvae reach a length of about 12–15 centimetres (4.7–5.9 in). The elytra of newly emerged adults have a coating of a yellowish, waxy powder. As the beetle ages this powder wear off. 
The males apparently attract the females by a clicking sound produced by the elytra.  This species usually mates in August.  The larvae are miners of fallen timber, while adults are usually found walking around on the trunks of trees.
Larva feed on decaying timber, especially of the Bombacaceae family (kapok or ceiba trees, mainly Ceiba pentandra , Bombacopsis spp., Ochroma spp. and Pseudobombax spp.), but also of Araucaria angustifolia and Ficus species. 
Distribution and habitat
This species is native to Central and South America (Mexico, Panama, Ecuador, Cuba, Peru, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina). It lives in warm Amazon regions up to elevations of 1,200 metres (3,900 ft) above sea level. 
Euchroma gigantea from Brazil, mounted specimen at National Museum (Prague)
- Bellamy, C. L. (2010). "Genus Euchroma". A Checklist of World Buprestoidea. Retrieved 21 Jun 2011.
- Hogue, C.L. (1993) Latin American Insects and Entomology. University of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles, California
- Moura, R.C., Melo, N.F. and Souza, M.J. (2008) High levels of chromosomal differentiation in Euchroma gigantea L. 1735 (Coleoptera, Buprestidae). Genetics and Molecular Biology, 31(2): 431-437
- Euchroma gigantea at Arkive.org
- Entomologi Italiani
- M. Louise Nichols - - The Spermatogenesis of Euchroma Gigantea
|This Buprestidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|