Lunar Orbiter 4 image (band at top and streaks in upper left are blemishes on original image)
|Colongitude||334° at sunrise|
Euctemon is a lunar impact crater that is located in the northern part of the Moon, along the northwest rim of the crater Baillaud. To the southwest of Euctemon is the large walled plain Meton, and to the north-northeast lies the crater De Sitter. Due to its location, Euctemon appears foreshortened when viewed from the Earth.
The interior floor of this crater has been resurfaced some time following the original formation, leaving a nearly level, featureless plain surrounded by the worn outer rim. This floor is marked only by a number of tiny craterlets, and the small crater Euctemon K near the southwest inner wall. A small crater has cut through the western rim, and has joined with the main crater by a gap in its eastern rim. The two craters now share a common floor. Just to the north is another small crater, Euctemon H, that now forms a wide cleft through the rim. Along the ridge that separates Euctemon from Baillaud is perched the small crater Euctemon N.
By convention these features are identified on lunar maps by placing the letter on the side of the crater midpoint that is closest to Euctemon.
|C||76.2° N||38.9° E||20 km|
|D||77.1° N||39.2° E||20 km|
|H||76.3° N||26.6° E||16 km|
|K||75.9° N||28.4° E||7 km|
|N||75.5° N||33.1° E||8 km|
- Andersson, L. E.; Whitaker, E. A. (1982). NASA Catalogue of Lunar Nomenclature. NASA RP-1097.
- Blue, Jennifer (July 25, 2007). "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature". USGS. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
- Bussey, B.; Spudis, P. (2004). The Clementine Atlas of the Moon. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-81528-4.
- Cocks, Elijah E.; Cocks, Josiah C. (1995). Who's Who on the Moon: A Biographical Dictionary of Lunar Nomenclature. Tudor Publishers. ISBN 978-0-936389-27-1.
- McDowell, Jonathan (July 15, 2007). "Lunar Nomenclature". Jonathan's Space Report. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Menzel, D. H.; Minnaert, M.; Levin, B.; Dollfus, A.; Bell, B. (1971). "Report on Lunar Nomenclature by the Working Group of Commission 17 of the IAU". Space Science Reviews. 12 (2): 136–186. Bibcode:1971SSRv...12..136M. doi:10.1007/BF00171763.
- Moore, Patrick (2001). On the Moon. Sterling Publishing Co. ISBN 978-0-304-35469-6.
- Price, Fred W. (1988). The Moon Observer's Handbook. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-33500-3.
- Rükl, Antonín (1990). Atlas of the Moon. Kalmbach Books. ISBN 978-0-913135-17-4.
- Webb, Rev. T. W. (1962). Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes (6th revised ed.). Dover. ISBN 978-0-486-20917-3.
- Whitaker, Ewen A. (1999). Mapping and Naming the Moon. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-62248-6.
- Wlasuk, Peter T. (2000). Observing the Moon. Springer. ISBN 978-1-85233-193-1.