Eugène Schneider II
Eugène Schneider II
Charles Prosper Eugène Schneider
October 29, 1868
|Died||November 17, 1942 (aged 74)|
|Spouse(s)||Antoinette de Rafélis de Saint-Sauveur|
|Relatives||Eugène Schneider (paternal grandfather)|
Adolphe Schneider (paternal granduncle)
Pierre de Cossé Brissac, 12th Duke of Brissac (son-in-law)
Elvire de Brissac (granddaughter)
Charles Prosper Eugène Schneider, also known as Eugène Schneider II (French: Eugène II Schneider; October 29, 1868 – November 17, 1942), was a French industrialist, head of Schneider-Creusot and other works in France, politician and inventor. In 1923, he was awarded the John Fritz Medal.
Schneider was born on October 29, 1868, in Le Creusot, rural France. His father, Henri Schneider, was a businessman and politician. His paternal grandfather, Eugène Schneider, was the co-founder of Schneider-Creusot with his grand-uncle Adolphe Schneider in 1836. He grew up at the Château de la Verrerie in Le Creusot.
He served on the boards of directors of the Crédit Lyonnais, Chemins de fer de Paris à Lyon et à la Méditerranée, the Société Métallurgique de Normandie and the Banque de l'Union Parisienne. He also served as the chairman of the Union européenne industrielle et financière.
He joined the Popular Liberal Action, a center-right political party. He served as a member of the French Chamber of Deputies for them from 1889 to 1910. He also served as the Mayor of Le Creusot from 1896 to 1900.
He married Antoinette de Rafélis de Saint-Sauveur, an heiress to the Château d'Apremont-sur-Allier. They had three sons, Charles, Henri-Paul and Jean, and a daughter, Marie-Zélie, also known as May, who became the Duchess of Brissac by marriage.
- C.P.E. Schneider. "Patent US713691 - Recoil apparatus for guns." 1901.
- C.P.E. Schneider. "Patent US716114 - Apparatus for sighting guns," 1902.
- C.P.E. Schneider. "Patent US800021 - Apparatus for loading ordnance," 1905.
- C.P.E. Schneider. "Patente US896669 - Breech-operating mechanism for ordnance," 1907.
- C.P.E. Schneider. "Patent US946402 - Sighting apparatus for guns," 1910.
- Mechanical World and Engineering Record. Vol. 70. 1921. p. 54
- Iron and Coal Trades Review. Vol. 103. 1921. p. 20
- De Ingenieur, Vol. 37. 1922. p. 532
- Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 1922. p. 492.
- National Assembly: Eugène Schneider
- Notice biographique: Eugène Schneider (1868-1942), Revue de Métallurgie, n. 5, May 1943, pp. 156-160
- Jean-Louis Beaucarnot, Nos familles dans la grande guerre, Paris: JC Lattès, 2013 
- Eugène Schneider (1868-1942), Bibliothèque nationale de France
- Le Creusot: La statue d'Eugène II Schneider, Bvd Henri-Paul Schneider