Eugene in 2011 Metrocity fashion show
March 3, 1981
|Education||Korea Kent Foreign School|
|Spouse(s)||Ki Tae-young (m. 2011)|
|Children||Kim Ro-hee (b. 2015)|
Kim Ro-rin (b. 2018)
|Revised Romanization||Gim Yu-jin|
Kim Yoo-jin (born March 3, 1981), known professionally as Eugene, is a South Korean actress and singer. She is best known as a member of South Korean girl group S.E.S..
She has released two solo albums as soloist and currently pursues her career as an actress for various TV dramas and movies and also works as an MC in various shows and programs.
Eugene was born in Seoul, South Korea. With the suggestion of her grandfather, who settled down in Guam, her family immigrated to Guam after she finished the first semester of 5th grade elementary school. She attended Agueda I. Johnston Middle School from October 1992 until June 1995, and John F. Kennedy High School from June until September 1997. She returned to Korea with her mother and younger sister to finish high school, and eventually graduated from Korea Kent Foreign School, Seoul in June 1999. At high school, more than 80% of her subjects were A credits. In elementary school, only 23 out of 24 subjects were awarded. In middle school, almost all her subjects were excellent.
Eugene made her debut with S.E.S. in 1997. S.E.S enjoyed tremendous success, becoming the top-selling K-pop girl group to date. The group broke up at the end of 2002 after Bada and Eugene parted ways from SM Entertainment, while Shoo stayed with SM Entertainment until 2006.
On May 28, 2016, Eugene with S.E.S. members Bada and Shoo attended a charity event, Green Heart Bazaar. In October 2016, Eugene along with Bada and Shoo re-formed S.E.S. to celebrate their 20th anniversary since the debut of the group. They started their project of the 20th anniversary debut with released digital single "Love[Story]", a remake of their 1999 single "Love", through S.M. Entertainment's digital project SM Station on November 28 and its music video released on December 29.
In early December 2016, they aired their ten episode reality show "Remember, I'm Your S.E.S.", which broadcast through mobile app Oksusu. To accompany their 20th anniversary debut, they held a concert "Remember, the Day", on December 30 and 31 at Sejong University's Daeyang Hall in Seoul.
On January 2, the special album of their 20th anniversary debut Remember was released. The album contains of double lead singles, "Remember" were digitally released on January 1 and "Paradise" were released along with the album on January 2.They held a fanmeet as their last project of 20th anniversary debut called "I Will Be There, Waiting For You" on March 1, 2017.
After S.E.S. broke up in late 2002, Kim starred in four Korean dramas: Loving You, Save The Last Dance for Me, Wonderful Life, and Love Truly. She also appeared in commercials and advertisements, and released two solo albums. My True Style, her first album, sold nearly 65,000 records and had one hit ballad, "The Best". Her second album 810303 sold a disappointing 19,000 copies. Although sales were low, the single "Windy" was successful.
Eugene made her theater debut in the musical adaptation of the film Innocent Steps, and her film debut in Unstoppable Marriage. After taking on the lead roles in the dramas One Mom and Three Dads, and Creating Destiny, Eugene then starred in the television series King of Baking, Kim Takgu, which was a huge hit and earned "national drama" status.
In 2007 Eugene took over from Lee Hyori as one of the co-hosts of the variety show Happy Together Friends, until the show was overhauled for a third season. After the success of her previous program Eugene's Makeup Diary, cable style network O'live again chose her as the host of new show Get It Beauty which began airing in July 2010.
In 2012 she became the host of season 3 of MBC's revamped flagship amateur singing competition show The Great Birth. Her next leading role was in the 2013 weekend family drama A Hundred Year Legacy, which reached ratings of over 30 percent. She then starred in two more family dramas, Can We Fall in Love, Again? and All About My Mom.
On May 11, 2011, Eugene announced she will be married to Ki Tae-young, her leading man in the 2009 TV series Creating Destiny. Their wedding was held at the Seoul Central Church in Anyang, Gyeonggi-do, on July 23, 2011. They were the first couple featured on Super Couple Diary, a reality show filming the daily married life of celebrity couples. Eugene gave birth to their first child, a daughter named Ro-hee in April 2015. She also gave birth to another girl, Ro-rin, on 18 August 2018. After the sinking of the MV Sewol, fans of Eugene began to doubt her belief in the Salvation sect of Evangelical Baptism. She explained she is not a believer of the Evangelical Baptist Church, but in the Korean Christianity Baptist Church which separated from the Evangelical Baptist Church 32 years ago.
|Title||Album details||Peak positions|
|My True Style...||—|
|"—" denotes release did not chart.|
|"Narration" (with Park Yong-ha)||2002||—||Loving You OST|
|"Love Montage" (with Park Yong-ha)||—|
|"Salang...geu Cheosneukkim" (사랑...그 첫느낌) (with Park Yong-ha)||—|
|"Dalaeui Tema (Chorus Ver.)" (다래의 테마)||—|
|"My Dream"||2004||—||Save the Last Dance for Me OST|
|"Like Candy" (캔디처럼)||2006||—||I Really Really Like You OST|
|"I like you" (좋아해) (duet with Mr. Burn)||—|
|"Jeongseon Arirang" (정선 아리랑)||—|
|"Romantic Christmas" (로맨틱 크리스마스) (duet with Lee Sun-kyun)||2008||—||Romantic Island Christmas story OST|
|"Plastic syndrome" (플라스틱 신드롬)||—||Romantic Island OST|
|"Travel Memories" (추억여행)||—|
|"—" denotes release did not chart.|
Participation in Albums
|"Shout to the Lord" (내 구주 예수님)||2001||—||The Gift|
|"Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer"||2004||—||Christmas With Pfull|
|"—" denotes release did not chart.|
|2007||Unstoppable Marriage||Park Eun-ho|
|2008||Heartbreak Library||Jo Eun-soo|
|Romantic Island||Yoo Ga-young|
|2019||Dentiste "If You Love" (mini movie)|
|2002||Loving You||Jin Da-rae||KBS2|
|2004||Save the Last Dance for Me||Ji Eun-soo||SBS|
|2005||Wonderful Life||Jung Se-jin||MBC|
|2006||I Really Really Like You||Yeo Bong-soon||MBC|
|2008||One Mom and Three Dads||Song Na-young||KBS2|
|2009||Creating Destiny||Han Sang-eun||MBC|
|2010||King of Baking, Kim Takgu||Shin Yoo-kyung||KBS2|
|2011||Drama Special "Princess Hwapyung's Weight Loss"||Princess Hwapyung||KBS2|
|2012||Ohlala Couple||Min-young (cameo, ep 2)||KBS2|
|2013||A Hundred Year Legacy||Min Chae-won||MBC|
|2014||Can We Fall in Love, Again?||Yoon Jung-wan||JTBC|
|2015||All About My Mom||Lee Jin-ae||KBS2|
|2016||The Return of Superman||KBS||Ep 114 - Ep 210|
|2002||SBS Saturday is Coming|
|2003||KBS Nam Hui-seok and Eugene's Love Story|
|2005||KBS Happy Together Friends|
|2009||O'live TV Living Beauty - Eugene's Makeup Diary, Season 1|
|2012||OnStyle Super Couple Diary|
|2012||MBC The Great Birth - Season 3|
|2010-2014||O'live TV Get It Beauty|
- 2009 Eugene's Beauty Secrets
- 2011 Eugene's Get It Beauty
|1999||Korea Best Dresser Awards: Best Dressed, Female Singer category|
|2002||KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award (Loving You)|
|2004||Korea Visual Arts Festival: Photogenic Award, Singer category|
|2004||SBS Drama Awards: New Star Award (Save the Last Dance for Me)|
|2005||Mnet KM Music Festival: PD's Choice Special Award|
|2010||KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama (King of Baking, Kim Takgu)|
|2011||KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actress in a One-Act Drama/Special (Princess Hwapyung's Weight Loss)|
|2015||KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama (All About My Mom)|
- 차연 기자 (2 August 2009). "유진 "괌 치킨집 화재났었다" 어머니에 눈물고백" (in Korean). Newsen.
- 이소담 기자 (26 April 2013). "유진 "괌에서 이수만 만나 5개월만에 SES 데뷔" 캐스팅 비화 공개" (in Korean). 티브이데일리.
- 홍보실장 심재철 (January 2001). "고대 홍보실장의 유진 자기소개서&입학관련" (in Korean). 고려대학교 자유게시판.[permanent dead link]
- ""데뷔 20주년, 완전체 컴백"…S.E.S, 재결합 선언". Dispatch (in Korean). October 3, 2016. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- ""원조 요정의 귀환"…S.E.S., 오늘(27일) 밤 'Love [story]' 공개". HEI (in Korean). November 28, 2016. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- SMTOWN (2016-12-29), [STATION] S.E.S._Love [story]_Music Video, retrieved 2017-01-02
- "S.E.S., 데뷔 20주년 기념 프로젝트 'REMEMBER' 시동! 28일 0시 음원 발매". 서울경제 (in Korean). November 23, 2016. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "[2017 가요②] S.E.S부터 악동뮤지션까지… 레전드vs루키website=Tenasia" (in Korean). December 30, 2016. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- "Remember - S.E.S. 20th Anniversary Special Album". www.melon.com. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "[단독] S.e.s, 오늘(1일) 20주년 팬미팅 '재결성 후 첫 만남'".
- Suh, Jung-bo (31 December 2004). "Singer and Actress Eugene's Wishes for the Year of the Rooster". The Dong-a Ilbo.
- Hwang, You-mee (10 August 2006). "Actresses venture to show their other side on TV". The Korea Herald.
- Cho, Chung-un (30 March 2007). "Pop star Eugene makes debut on musical stage". The Korea Herald.
- "Unstoppable Marriage review - I wish Eugene was my wife". The Korea Society. 24 August 2007.
- "Eugene to Play Second Mother Role". KBS Global. 27 March 2008.
- "Eugene Finds Life Abroad Reflected in New Drama". The Chosun Ilbo. 2 October 2010.
- ""Bread, Love and Dreams" set to rise in Asians' hearts". 10Asia. 2 September 2010.
- Han, Sang-hee (12 July 2010). "Can Eugene add something new to beauty scene?". The Korea Times.
- "Eugene's Beauty Secret book". Jazzholic. 10 December 2009.
- "Eugene's Get It Beauty". HanBooks. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Ho, Stewart (20 September 2012). "Eugene to Serve as MC of The Great Birth's Third Season". enewsWorld.
- Sunwoo, Carla (21 September 2012). "Eugene to host Great Rebirth". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 19 January 2013.
- "An interview with Eugene, singer-turned-actress". The Dong-a Ilbo. 28 June 2013.
- Jang, Seo-yoon (8 July 2013). "INTERVIEW: Actress Eugene". 10Asia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014.
- "Eugene asks, 'Can We Love'?". Korea JoongAng Daily. 17 December 2013.
- "Eugene starts filming her first drama post pregnancy : "a mixture of a pinch of nervousness and anticipation"". Hacinema. 24 July 2015.
- "Eugene And Kim Tae-young To Get Married". KBS World. 11 May 2011.
- Park, Min-young (12 May 2011). "S.E.S.'s Eugene to wed in July". The Korea Herald.
- "Yoo Jin and Ki Tae Young: 'We Wed in July'". KBS Global. 12 May 2011.
- "Yoo Jin and Ki Tae Young: 'We Will Live Happily Ever After'". KBS Global. 24 May 2011.
- "Eugene of SES to Tie the Knot". The Chosun Ilbo. 12 May 2011.
- Hicap, Jonathan M. (25 July 2011). "Monique Lhuillier designs elegant wedding dress of Korean star Eugene" Archived 2012-09-15 at the Wayback Machine. Manila Bulletin.
- Sunwoo, Carla (14 March 2012). "Newly wed singer Eugene reveals her love nest" Archived 2012-06-19 at the Wayback Machine. Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (27 March 2012). "Eugene and Ki Tae Young to Appear as First Couple on Super Couple Diary". enewsWorld.
- Jin, Min-ji (13 April 2015). "S.E.S' Eugene has a baby girl". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "Ki Tae Young And Eugene Welcome Birth Of Their Second Daughter". Soompi. 23 August 2018. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- Yoo Soo-kyung (23 August 2018). "[단독] 유진, 지난주 둘째 딸 출산..."현재 산후조리 중"". NAVER (in Korean). Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "유진, 교회 대한예수교침례회 적극 해명 "뿌리가 같아 오해 생긴 것"". News 1 (in Korean). 8 May 2014.
- "Gaon Album Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart.
- "Gaon Digital Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart.
- "Ki Tae-young and Eugene to appear on 'The Return of Superman'". Kpop Herald. 10 December 2015.
- Cho, Bum-ja (3 January 2011). "Jang Hyuk scores top prize at KBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2014-09-06.
- Hong, Lucia (2 January 2012). "Shin Ha-kyun scores top prize at 2011 KBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eugene.|