Eugene in 2011 Metrocity fashion show
March 3, 1981
Seoul, South Korea
|Agent||C9 Entertainment, GG Entertainment|
|Spouse(s)||Ki Tae-young (m. 2011)|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Yu-jin|
Kim Yoo-jin (born March 3, 1981), professionally known as Eugene, is a South Korean singer, actress and presenter. She was a member of K-pop girl group S.E.S.. She has currently released two solo albums and has gone on to star in TV dramas and movies and work as an MC in various shows and programs.
Eugene was born in Seoul, South Korea, but spent her childhood in Guam after moving there after elementary school. She attended Agueda I. Johnston Middle School from October 1992 until June 1995, John F. Kennedy High School from June until September 1997. She returned to Korea with her mother and younger sister some time in high school, and eventually graduated from Korea Kent Foreign School, Seoul in June 1999.
Eugene made her debuted with S.E.S. in 1997. S.E.S enjoyed tremendous success, becoming the top-selling K-pop girl group to date. The group broke up at the end of 2002 after Bada and Eugene parted ways from SM Entertainment, while Shoo stayed with SM Entertainment until 2006.
After S.E.S. broke up in late 2002, Kim starred in four Korean dramas: Loving You, Save The Last Dance for Me, Wonderful Life, and I Really, Really Like You. She also appeared in commercials and advertisements, and released two solo albums. My True Style, her first album, sold nearly 65,000 records and had one hit ballad, "The Best". Her second album 810303 sold a disappointing 19,000 copies. Although sales were low, the single "Windy" was successful.
Eugene made her theater debut in the musical adaptation of the film Innocent Steps, and her film debut in Unstoppable Marriage. After taking on the lead roles in the dramas One Mom and Three Dads, and Creating Destiny, Eugene starred in the television series King of Baking, Kim Takgu.
In 2007 Eugene took over from Lee Hyori as one of the co-hosts of the variety show Happy Together Friends, until the show was overhauled for a third season. After the success of her previous program Eugene's Makeup Diary, cable style network O'live again chose her as the host of new show Get It Beauty which began airing in July 2010.
In 2012 she became the host of season 3 of MBC's revamped flagship amateur singing competition show The Great Birth. Her next leading role was in the 2013 weekend family drama A Hundred Year Legacy, which reached ratings of over 30 percent.
On May 11, 2011, Eugene announced she will be married to Ki Tae-young, her leading man in the 2009 TV series Creating Destiny. They released their prenuptial pictorials a week before the actual wedding. Their wedding was held at the Seoul Central Church in Anyang, Gyeonggi-do, on July 23, 2011. They were the first couple featured on Super Couple Diary, a reality show filming the daily married life of celebrity couples. Eugene gave birth to their first child, a daughter named Ro-hee in April 2015.
After the sinking of the MV Sewol, fans of Eugene began to doubt her belief in the Salvation sect. She explained she is not believer of the Evangelical Baptist Church, but in the Korean Christianity Baptist Church which separated from Evangelical Baptist Church 32 years ago.
- My True Style... (2003)
- 810303 (2004)
- Save the Last Dance for Me (2004); Track 5: "My Dream"
- I Really Really Like You (2006); Track 7: "Really Really Like You (Rock version)"
- Romantic Island (2008)
- Track 1: "Romantic Christmas" (duet with Lee Sun-kyun)
- Track 10: "Travel Memories"
|2007||Unstoppable Marriage||Park Eun-ho|
|2008||Heartbreak Library||Jo Eun-soo|
|Romantic Island||Yoo Ga-young|
|2002||Loving You||Jin Da-rae||KBS2|
|2004||Save the Last Dance for Me||Ji Eun-soo||SBS|
|2005||Wonderful Life||Jung Se-jin||MBC|
|2006||I Really Really Like You||Yeo Bong-soon||MBC|
|2008||One Mom and Three Dads||Song Na-young||KBS2|
|2009||Creating Destiny||Han Sang-eun||MBC|
|2010||King of Baking, Kim Takgu||Shin Yoo-kyung||KBS2|
|2011||Drama Special "Princess Hwapyung's Weight Loss"||Princess Hwapyung||KBS2|
|2012||Ohlala Couple||Min-young (cameo, ep 2)||KBS2|
|2013||A Hundred Year Legacy||Min Chae-won||MBC|
|2014||Can We Love?||Yoon Jung-wan||JTBC|
|2015||All About My Mom||Lee Jin-ae||KBS2|
|2016||The Return of Superman||KBS||Ep 114 - Present|
- 2002 SBS Saturday is Coming
- 2003 KBS Nam Hui-seok and Eugene's Love Story
- 2005 KBS Happy Together Friends
- 2009 O'live TV Living Beauty - Eugene's Makeup Diary, Season 1
- 2009 O'live TV Living Beauty - Eugene's Makeup Diary, Season 2
- 2012 OnStyle Super Couple Diary
- 2012 MBC The Great Birth - Season 3
- 2010-2014 O'live TV Get It Beauty
- 2009 Eugene's Beauty Secrets
- 2011 Eugene's Get It Beauty
- 1999 Korea Best Dresser Awards: Best Dressed, Female Singer category
- 2002 KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award (Loving You)
- 2004 Korea Visual Arts Festival: Photogenic Award, Singer category
- 2004 SBS Drama Awards: New Star Award (Save the Last Dance for Me)
- 2005 Mnet KM Music Festival: PD's Choice Special Award
- 2010 KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama (King of Baking, Kim Takgu)
- 2011 KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actress in a One-Act Drama/Special (Princess Hwapyung's Weight Loss)
- 2015 KBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama (All About My Mom)
- 차연 기자 (2 August 2009). "유진 "괌 치킨집 화재났었다" 어머니에 눈물고백". Newsen.
- 이소담 기자 (26 April 2013). "유진 "괌에서 이수만 만나 5개월만에 SES 데뷔" 캐스팅 비화 공개". 티브이데일리.
- Suh, Jung-bo (31 December 2004). "Singer and Actress Eugene's Wishes for the Year of the Rooster". The Dong-a Ilbo.
- Cho, Chung-un (30 March 2007). "Pop star Eugene makes debut on musical stage". The Korea Herald.
- "Unstoppable Marriage review - I wish Eugene was my wife". The Korea Society. 24 August 2007.
- "Eugene to Play Second Mother Role". KBS Global. 27 March 2008.
- "Eugene Finds Life Abroad Reflected in New Drama". The Chosun Ilbo. 2 October 2010.
- Han, Sang-hee (12 July 2010). "Can Eugene add something new to beauty scene?". The Korea Times.
- "Eugene’s Beauty Secret book". Jazzholic. 10 December 2009.
- "Eugene's Get It Beauty". HanBooks. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Ho, Stewart (20 September 2012). "Eugene to Serve as MC of The Great Birth's Third Season". enewsWorld.
- Sunwoo, Carla (21 September 2012). "Eugene to host Great Rebirth". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "An interview with Eugene, singer-turned-actress". The Dong-a Ilbo. 28 June 2013.
- Jang, Seo-yoon (8 July 2013). "INTERVIEW: Actress Eugene". 10Asia.
- "Eugene And Kim Tae-young To Get Married". KBS World. 11 May 2011.
- Park, Min-young (12 May 2011). "S.E.S.'s Eugene to wed in July". The Korea Herald.
- "Yoo Jin and Ki Tae Young: 'We Wed in July'". KBS Global. 12 May 2011.
- "Yoo Jin and Ki Tae Young: 'We Will Live Happily Ever After'". KBS Global. 24 May 2011.
- "Former members of S.E.S, Baby V.O.X and T.T.Ma reunite for Eugene's marriage". Allkpop. 11 July 2011.
- "Eugene and Ki Tae Young Share Wedding Invitation Card". Soompi. 13 July 2011.
- "Eugene & Ki Tae Young reveal their wedding photos". Allkpop. 18 July 2011.
- "July Bride Eugene Sheds Tears During Wedding Photoshoot?". Soompi. 20 July 2011.
- "Ki Tae Young and Eugene get married!". Allkpop. 23 July 2011.
- Hicap, Jonathan M. (25 July 2011). "Monique Lhuillier designs elegant wedding dress of Korean star Eugene". Manila Bulletin.
- Sunwoo, Carla (14 March 2012). "Newly wed singer Eugene reveals her love nest". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (27 March 2012). "Eugene and Ki Tae Young to Appear as First Couple on Super Couple Diary". enewsWorld.
- Jin, Min-ji (13 April 2015). "S.E.S' Eugene has a baby girl". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "유진, 교회 대한예수교침례회 적극 해명 "뿌리가 같아 오해 생긴 것"". News 1 (in Korean). 8 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eugene.|
- Eugene on Twitter (Korean)
- Eugene on Cyworld
- Eugene at GG Entertainment (Korean)
- Eugene at HanCinema
- Eugene at the Internet Movie Database
- Goddess of Beauty Kim Eugene at Daum Cafe (Korean)
- BYMOMO (Korean)