Eugene Burger (2003)
|Born||June 1, 1939|
|Died||August 8, 2017 (aged 78)|
Eugene Burger (June 1, 1939 – August 8, 2017) was an American magician. He was born in 1939 and was based in Chicago, Illinois. He was reputed for his close-up skills and his work in mentalism and bizarre magic.
Burger was also a philosopher and a historian of religion. He had degrees in philosophy and earned a Bachelor of Divinity degree in 1964 from Yale University and taught university courses in comparative religion and philosophy.
He was the author of books on the presentation of close up magic and was featured on several instructional DVDs and videos for magicians. He produced an audio program called Growing in the Art of Magic.
Eugene died of cancer in Chicago on August 8, 2017. He was 78.
Books and DVDs
- "Secrets and Mysteries for the Close-Up Entertainer" (1982)
- Intimate Power (1983)
- The Experience of Magic (1989)
- Strange Ceremonies (1991)
- Spirit Theater (1986)
- The Performance of Close-Up Magic (1987)
- Meaning and Magic (expanded)
- Mastering the Art of Magic
- Mystery School (2003) with Jeff McBride
- Eugene Goes Bizarre
- Real Magic
- Gourmet Closeup Magic
- Eugene Burger's Magical Voyages
- Eugene Burger Presents Exploring Magical Presentation
- A Magical Vision (Documentary on Eugene Burger, written and directed by Michael Caplan)
Notable appearances in print
In 1982, Burger was featured on the cover of The Linking Ring magazine.
In 2012, the Fédération Internationale des Sociétés Magiques (FISM) presented him with a special award for Magic Theory.
- Jones, Chris. "Remembering Eugene Burger, a Chicago magician who knew magic is life". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- Sommer, Timothy. "Magic, Meaning and Transformation at YDS". Yale Divinity School News. Archived from the original on 1 February 2013. Retrieved 24 November 2010.
- "Eugene Burger, 78". Classic Images (509): 38. November 2017.
- The Century Profiles. (1999, July). MAGIC Magazine, 8(11).
- Parallelus (19 July 2012). "Bye, bye Blackpool - FISM 2012 draws to a close - FISM". fism.org. Retrieved 27 August 2017.