Eugene H. Merrill (academic)
Eugene Haines Merrill (born September 12, 1934) is an Old Testament scholar who has served as a distinguished professor of Old Testament studies at Dallas Theological Seminary and 2010 president of the Evangelical Theological Society.
Early life, family, and education
Merrill was born in Anson, Maine. He attended Bob Jones University, where he earned his B.A. (1957), M.A. in Bible (1960), and Ph.D. in Old Testament interpretation (1963). He married Janet (née Hippensteel) in December 1960. After moving to New York for his wife to complete her doctorate, Merrill earned an M.A. in Jewish Studies at New York University (1970), and his M.Phil. (1976) and Ph.D. (1985) in Middle East languages and culture at Columbia University. He also completed post-doctoral research (1989–1990) at Tyndale House in Cambridge.
Merrill taught at Bob Jones University from 1963 until 1966, then at Berkshire Christian College from 1968 until 1975. He joined the faculty of Dallas Theological Seminary in 1975, where he remains active in teaching and writing. He is a member of the American Oriental Society, the Near East Archaeological Society, the Society of Biblical Literature, and as of 2010[update] serves as president of the Evangelical Theological Society.
Merrill has published seven books, contributed to several other collaborative projects, served as a translator in three biblical text projects, and written nearly 200 scholarly articles, mostly for Bibliotheca Sacra. Significant titles include:
- Qumran and Predestination: A Theological Study of the Thanksgiving Hymns (1975)
- The Accession Year and Davidic Chronology (1986)
- Genesis Debate (1986)
- 1, 2 Chronicles: Bible Study Commentary (1988)
- Israel's Apostasy and Restoration (1988)
- Royal Priesthood: An Old Testament Messianic Motif (1991)
- An Historical Survey of the Old Testament (1991)
- A Biblical Theology of the Old Testament (1991)
- Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi: An Exegetical Commentary (1994)
- Deuteronomy (1994)
- The Old Testament Explorer: Discovering the Essence, Background, and Meaning of Every Book in the Old Testament (2001)
- Die Geschichte Israels: Ein Königreich Von Priestern (2001)
- The Bible Knowledge Key Word Study: Genesis--Deuteronomy (2003)
- Everlasting Dominion: A Theology of the Old Testament (2006)
- Kingdom of Priests: A History of Old Testament Israel (2008)
- Grisanti, Michael A (2003). David M. Howard, ed. Giving the sense: understanding and using Old Testament historical texts. Kregel Academic. pp. 457–459. ISBN 0-8254-2892-0.
- "Eugene H. Merrill Faculty Page". Dallas Theological Seminary.
- "Eugene Merrill, At-Large Member". The Evangelical Theological Society.