||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
|Origin||Parkhead, Glasgow, Scotland|
|Associated acts||The Vaselines
The Famous Monsters
Future Pilot A.K.A.
The Reindeer Section
Eugene Kelly formed The Vaselines in Glasgow, Scotland in 1986 with Frances McKee and was a member until 1989 when the band split up the week their first and only full length album, Dum-Dum, was released. Kurt Cobain of Nirvana was a big fan of the band, covering three of their songs. Molly's Lips and Son Of A Gun were included on their album, Incesticide. Nirvana also covered The Vaselines song Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam on their album, MTV Unplugged in New York.
In 1990, Kelly formed Captain America but was forced to change the name after an objection from Marvel Comics. The band then became known as Eugenius. He has had a number of collaborations with Evan Dando of The Lemonheads and in 2003 Eugene released a solo album, Man Alive.
In the summer of 2006, Eugene Kelly and Frances McKee took to the stage together for the first time since 1990 to perform a set of The Vaselines songs, as part of a joint tour to promote their individual solo albums. This led to The Vaselines reforming (minus the old rhythm section) on the April 24, 2008 for a charity show for the Malawi Orphan Support group at Glasgow's MONO venue.
Since 2008, The Vaselines have continued to perform around the world, with members of Belle & Sebastian supporting their live set. On May 5, 2009, Sub Pop released Enter the Vaselines. A deluxe-edition reissue of the 1992 Sub Pop release, it includes remastered versions of the band’s two EPs, album, as well as demos and live recordings from 1986 and 1988.
- with The Pastels
- The Vaselines
- Son of a Gun EP (1987 53rd & 3rd)
- Dying for It EP (1988 53rd & 3rd)
- Dum-Dum (1989 Rough Trade)
- The Vaselines / Beat Happening (1991 K Records - recorded live in London June 16, 1988)
- The Way of the Vaselines: A Complete History (1992 Sub Pop)
- All the Stuff and More... (1992 Avalanche)
- Enter the Vaselines (2009 Sub Pop)
- Sex with an X (2010 Sub Pop)
- V for Vaselines (2014 Rosary Music)
- with the BMX Bandits
- Star Wars (1991 Vinyl Japan)
- Captain America
- Wow! / Bed-In / Wannabee / God Bless Les Paul EP (1991 Paperhouse Records)
- Flame On EP (1992 Paperhouse Records)
- Oomalama (1992 Fire/Atlantic)
- It Ain't Rocket Science, It's Eugenius (1992 Fire Records)
- Easter Bunny EP (1993 Creation Records)
- Caesar's Vein EP (1993 Creation Records)
- Mary Queen of Scots (1994 Creation Records)
- Womb Boy Returns EP (1996 Human Condition Records)
- Oomalama/Tireless Wireless re-issue (2003 Fire Records)
- The Famous Monsters
- In The Summertime EP (1995 Fire Records)
- with Future Pilot A.K.A.
- Tiny Waves, Mighty Sea (2001 Geographic) (lead vocals on "Beat of a Drum")
- Glasgow EP (Rugger Bugger Discs)
- Astro Chimp
- Draggin' / She's My Summer Girl single (1996 Shoeshine Records)
- The Reindeer Section
- Son of Evil Reindeer (2002 Bright Star Recordings)
- Man Alive (2003 Sympathy)
- Older Faster EP (2003 Geographic)