Evgeny Markovich Shvidler
23 March 1964
Ufa, USSR (now Russia)
|Alma mater||Gubkin Institute of Petrochemicals and Natural Gas|
|Net worth||US$1.5 billion (November 2019)|
|Parent(s)||Mark Iosifovich Shvidler|
Evgeny Markovich Shvidler (Russian: Евгений Маркович Швидлер, born 23 March 1964), also Eugene Shvidler, is a Russian-American billionaire oil businessman. Although not often referred to as one of that country's prominent business oligarchs, as he became a US citizen in 1994, he nevertheless made his fortune during the privatization of Russian industry, and maintains a close connection to fellow oligarch Roman Abramovich and his circle.
Shvidler was born in Ufa, Russia, into the prominent Jewish family of Soviet geologist Mark Iosifovich Shvidler. He received a degree in mathematics from the Gubkin Institute of Petrochemicals and Natural Gas and an MBA from Fordham University.
Early in his career he worked for Deloitte & Touche in New York and became a U.S. citizen. He later returned to Russia, where he teamed up with Roman Abramovich to start the oil trading outfit Runicom S.A. In 1995, the men partnered to gain control of oil giant Sibneft "in an auction that some experts," according to the Irish Independent, "suspect of having been rigged"; Shvidler joined Sibneft initially as senior Vice President and served as company president from 1998 until October 2005, when Russian state energy company Gazprom acquired Sibneft. For most of his tenure, Sibneft was Russia's fastest growing oil company in terms of production, and its most profitable in terms of earnings per barrel.
- "Forbes profile: Evgeny (Eugene) Shvidler". Forbes. Retrieved 10 November 2019.
- "Швидлер Евгений Маркович". izrus.co.il. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "Corrections by Eugene Shvidler". ICorrect. 11 March 2011. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Михаил КОЗЫРЕВ, Николай БОРИСОВ, "ГРУППА ТОВАРИЩЕЙ", Russian Forbes Русский Forbes, April 2007 (retrieved 24 December 2013)
- Jewish Telegraph Agency: "At least 139 of the Forbes 400 are Jewish" By Jacob Berkman 5 October 2009
- "Eugene Shvidler Net Worth - biography, quotes, wiki, assets, cars, homes and more". Bornrich.com. 29 September 2011. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- Kennedy, Dominic. Chelsea owner admits billions in bribes", Irish Independent, 5 July 2008, accessed 27 December 2013.
- Stocks. "Stocks - Bloomberg". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- 2006-2017 ПАО «Газпром нефть». "ПАО «Газпром нефть» - официальный сайт компании". Gazprom-neft.ru. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "Evgeny (Eugene) Shvidler". www.forbes.com. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- The Guardian: "Eugene Shvidler, Russian billionaire, on his French vineyard" by Elizabeth Day 10 October 2009
- Day, Elizabeth (11 October 2009). "Eugene Shvidler - Russian billionaire". The Guardian. London.