Life and work
Trubowitz, who was born in 1951, received his doctorate in 1977 under the supervision of Henry McKean at the New York University (The inverse problem for periodic potentials). Since 1983, he is a full professor of mathematics at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. As of 2016, he has retired from his position at ETH.
Trubowitz studies scattering theory (some with Percy Deift, and inverse scattering theory), integrable systems and their connection to algebraic geometry, mathematical theory of Fermi liquids in the statistical mechanics.
In 1994 he was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Zurich (A rigorous (renormalization group) analysis of superconducting systems).
- with Deift: Inverse scattering on the line, Communications in pure and applied Mathematics, Bd.32, 1979, S. 121-251
- with Joel Feldman, Horst Knörrer: Riemann Surfaces of Infinite Genus, AMS (American Mathematical Society) 2003
- with Feldman, Knörrer: Fermionic functional integrals and the renormalization group, AMS 2002
- with D. Gieseker, Knörrer: Geometry of algebraic Fermi curves, Academic Press 1992
- with Jürgen Pöschel: Inverse spectral theory, Academic Press 1987
The original article was a translation of the corresponding German article.