Eugene W. Shellworth
Eugene W. Shellworth
|Mayor of Boise, Idaho|
May 1961 – January 1966
|Preceded by||Robert L. Day|
|Succeeded by||Jay S. Amyx|
|Born||April 2, 1912|
|Died||July 2, 1997 (aged 85)|
|Alma mater||U.S. Naval Academy, 1935|
Eugene Whitney Shellworth (April 2, 1912 – July 2, 1997) was the mayor of Boise, Idaho, from 1961 to 1966. Elected in May 1961 and re-elected in November 1963, he lost a runoff election to Jay Amyx in late 1965, and then worked in banking; he had previous business experience in lumber and heavy equipment sales.
Shellworth was a 1935 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. He played on the football team until a knee injury ended his playing career in his sophomore year. Shellworth served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.
Shellworth married Martha Buckley (1915–2005) of Tacoma, Washington in 1937, and they settled in Boise following the war. Their daughter Sandy (b. 1944) is a former World Cup alpine ski racer and a 1968 Olympian.
His father, Harry Shellworth (1877–1973), was a page during the first state legislature following statehood in 1890, and later worked in the forest products industry.
Shellworth and his parents are buried in Morris Hill Cemetery in Boise.
- "1935 Lucky Bag yearbook". U.S. Naval Academy. p. 227. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "All Boise candidates fail to get majority in election". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Associated Press. November 4, 1965. p. 12.
- "Former Boise mayor takes bank position". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Associated Press. February 7, 1966. p. 3.
- "Martha Buckley Shellworth". U.S. Naval Academy Alumni Association News. June 2005. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "Former page recalls early days in Idaho legislature". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Associated Press. January 7, 1965. p. 5.
- "Eugene Whitney Shellworth". Find a Grave.com. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- City of Boise – Mayors of Boise, Past and Present
- Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series – Corrected List of Mayors, 1867–1996
- Boise Arts and History – Timeline – Mayors
Robert L. Day
| Mayor of Boise, Idaho
Jay S. Amyx
|This article about a mayor in Idaho is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|