Suárez with the Detroit Tigers
Cincinnati Reds – No. 7
July 18, 1991 |
Puerto Ordaz, Bolívar, Venezuela
|June 4, 2014 for the Detroit Tigers|
(through July 1, 2015)
|Runs batted in||33|
Suárez originally signed with the Detroit Tigers as an amateur free agent on October 9, 2008. He played for the Venezuelan Summer League Tigers in 2009 and 2010. He played for the Gulf Coast Tigers of the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League and the Connecticut Tigers of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League in 2011 and the West Michigan Whitecaps of the Class A Midwest League in 2012. With the Whitecaps, he had a .288 batting average and 21 stolen bases in 135 games. He started the 2013 season with the Lakeland Flying Tigers of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League and was promoted to the Erie SeaWolves of the Class AA Eastern League during the season. He was added to the Tigers' 40-man roster on November 20, 2013.
Suarez began the 2014 season with Erie, and was promoted to the Toledo Mud Hens of the Class AAA International League in May. Suárez was brought up to Detroit for the first time on June 4, and entered that night's game in the seventh inning. In his first at-bat, he reached base via a fielder's choice. On June 7, Suarez made his first major league start in a game against the Boston Red Sox, and recorded his first hit, a solo home run. He finished his rookie season with a .242 batting average in 85 games.
On December 11, 2014, the Tigers traded Suárez and Jonathon Crawford to the Cincinnati Reds for Alfredo Simón. On June 11, 2015 he became the Reds' regular starting shortstop after Zack Cozart's season ending injury.
- Jones, Emily (July 25, 2012). "Whitecaps shortstop becoming top Tigers prospect". Mlive.com. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Lowe, John (March 8, 2013). "Tigers' Eugenio Suarez leaves big impression on Jim Leyland with his glovework". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Martin, Jim (May 5, 2013). "Suarez makes impact for Erie SeaWolves". Goerie.com. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Tigers purchase contracts of seven players". Detroit.tigers.mlb.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Lowe, John (May 22, 2014). "SS help in the future? Detroit Tigers promote Eugenio Suarez to Toledo". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Detroit Tigers infield prospect Eugenio Suarez promoted from Double-A Erie to Triple-A Toledo".
- "Tigers call up Suarez to boost shortstop spot". MLB.com. June 4, 2014.
- Iott, Christ (June 7, 2014). "Shortstop Eugenio Suarez hits solo home run for Detroit Tigers in first major league start". Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "Tigers obtain Alfredo Simon from Reds". USA Today. Associated Press. December 11, 2014. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- Beck, Jason (December 11, 2014). "In separate deals, Tigers land Cespedes, Simon". MLB.com. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- Fay, John (June 12, 2015). "Reds will miss more than Zack Cozart's glove, bat". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)