||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Product type||Pet food|
Eukanuba ("You-Ka-Noo-Bah") is a brand name of dog food and cat food, owned and manufactured by Mars, Inc, who also makes Pedigree Petfoods. Procter and Gamble sold Eukanuba in July, 2014. The company produces 17 different types for dogs, based on age, breed, and performance area, as well as 13 formulas for cats, including kitten, adult maintenance, hairball, sensitive stomach and weight control, indoor and outdoor, and mature.
In 1969, Paul Iams wanted to find a name to differentiate the new formula from other Iams products. Iams chose to name this new formula "Eukanuba", a term originated by jazz era personality Hoagy Carmichael, meaning "the tops" or "something supreme".
The Eukanuba manufacturing plant at Leipsic, Ohio is P&G's largest dog food plant. Metal detectors are used to detect foreign objects that may have fallen in. Bags are marked by numbers to indicate the day and the hour the food was made by using the DD/MM/YYYY format, so that the bags can be traced in case of a recall.
The ingredients in Eukanuba products contain both animal and animal by-products, a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. Most of the ingredients come from the United States, but a limited amount of nutritional supplements are imported from countries such as China.
Eukanuba is the primary sponsor of the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship one of the largest dog shows in the United States. The event takes place annually in December and hosts more than 3,000 dogs and handlers, with competitions in agility, obedience, dock-jumping, breed-specific, and best in show.
Eukanuba is also a sponsor of the Teva Mountain Games.
- "Who We Are". Eukanuba
- "Eukanuba Products". National Pet Pharmacy
- "Eukanuba History". Dog Food Coupon
- "Eukanuba History". Eukanuba
- "Behind the Paw: The Leipsic Manufacturing Plant". DogKnobit
- "Eukanuba Dry Dog Food". DogFoodAdvisor
- "FAQ Answer". EukanubaFAQ
- "AKC/Eukanuba National Championship". Pawntion
- "AKC/Eukanuba National Championship". My Pet News
- "AKC/Eukanuba National Championship". Huron Valley Travel
- "Eukanuba World Challenge". Morris Animal Foundation
- "Eukanuba World Challenge". KTLA
- "Eukanuba and Teva Mountain Games Sponsorship". Teva Mountain Games