This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Founded||2002 Euler Hermes|
|Clarisse Kopff, chairman of Euler Hermes Board of Management|
|Products||Credit insurance, Reinsurance, Trade debt collection, Bonding and Fidelity|
|Revenue||€ 2,7 billion (2018) |
Number of employees
|+5800 (2018) |
|Divisions||Euler Hermes Americas; Euler Hermes Asia-Pacific; Euler Hermes Germany-Austria-Switzerland; Euler Hermes France; Euler Hermes Mediaterranean countries, Solunion|
A subsidiary of Allianz SE, Euler Hermes is rated AA by Standard & Poor's. The Group posted a consolidated turnover of €2,7 billion in 2018. Euler Hermes employs +5,800 employees in over 50 countries and insured global business transactions for €962 billion in exposure at the end of 2018.
Activities of Euler Hermes
Euler Hermes issues a varied range of bonds on behalf of its clients around the world.
Euler Hermes handles 380,000 debt collection files in more than 130 countries.
Economic Research at Euler Hermes, is a department entirely dedicated to economic research. It analyzes economic and sector trends, country risks and corporate insolvencies worldwide. The Euler Hermes’ Chief Economist is Ludovic Subran. Economic Research publicly broadcasts through Euler Hermes’ website several publications sharing their latest views and forecasts on topics such as the new trends in international trade, emerging trade risks and business opportunities.
Euler Hermes provides guarantees or insurance on accounts receivable arising from the sales of commercial goods and services on credit terms of e.g. 30-day, 60-day time scales or more especially for export companies (as an alternative to making the foreign purchaser obtain a letter of credit), sometimes on longer time scales; it manages guarantees for exports by corporations globally; and also provides other international support for exporters. It distributes its products and services through a network of direct agents, insurance brokers, and banks and tracks companies in markets representing 92% of the world's GDP.
The Hermes Kreditversicherungsbank was founded by Wilhelm Kißkalt and Emil Herzfelder, on October 7 1917, and was the first German credit insurance specialized company to be present in all the credit insurance areas: creditor, bond and fidelity insurance. Two months later, on December 18, 1917, Hermes was allowed by the German imperial supervisory authority for private insurance.
Both believed that credit insurance services had to be offered independently from traditional insurance services, because credit insurance services brought answers to specific needs. Dr. Emil Herzfelder was the first member of Hermes’ Management Board.
On February 19, 1918, the company was registered in the Berlin trade registry.
In 1926, the German Ministry of Economy entered into an agreement for export credit insurances with Hermes and Frankfurter Allgemeinen Versicherungs-AG, also called the FAVAG. Both companies were supposed to issue credit insurance contracts for export transactions with private sector companies, with the German Reich acting as a reinsurer and assuming 100% of the political and catastrophic risk.
The historical background
1929 financial crisis & the FAVAG collapse
The FAVAG was part of it, and collapsed the same year, mainly due to the substantial losses from the acquisition of financial guarantees. This allowed Hermes to take over all of the export credit insurance contracts it had underwritten. FAVAG was, at this time, the second-largest composite insurance company behind Allianz and its collapse had far-reaching impacts on credit insurance in Germany.
Following the Depression years from 1929 to 1932, Hermes experienced a period of development with rising premium income and modest profits.
The insights into the causes of FAVAG's collapse also convinced the Reich's insurance supervisory authority that the significant risks inherent in the credit insurance business could threaten an insurer's ability to perform on its property and casualty insurance contracts. Starting in 1930, the supervisory authority therefore began to authorize only specialized companies with adequate minimum capital to offer credit insurance.
During WWII, the government assigned Hermes new missions. The company insured importers against the political risks arising from the war as well as other risks in the export business as guarantees of the German Reich.
This almost led Hermes to bankruptcy, but the military governments then intervened and ordered that no court could initiate a proceeding against an insurance company of the claims involved contracts reinsured by the German Reich and claims losses resulting from the war.
Birth of Euler Hermes
Euler Hermes is therefore the result of different evolutions the SFAC and Hermes knew during the 20th century. Euler Hermes then decided to, first of all, develop on an international level and, secondly, to simplify the group's structure.
2004 : A strong international development
From 2004, Euler Hermes begins an international expansion phase, and settled in Asia, Middle East (UAE, Kuwait, Sultanate of Oman, Qatar) and Latin America. The World Agency, which is Euler Hermes’ solution[buzzword] for multinational companies is created at that moment. In 2013, Solunion, a joint venture between Euler Hermes & MAPFRE, is made in Spain and Latin America. Euler Hermes also increased interest equity in ICIC (the Israeli credit insurance specialist) to 50% this year.
2010-2012 : Group structure simplification movement
3 projects were launched during this period:
- One Euler Hermes: simplification of the Group's structures and clarification of its governance.
- Excellence: Increase in productivity and flexibility of the cost base through worldwide streamlining of operations.
- Blue Europe: merging within the legal entity Euler Hermes Europe SA of 12 insurance branches (from Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Slovakia, Sweden, United Kingdom)
The Group's economic organization is based on six geographic regions: France (Headquarters) - Germany, Austria and Switzerland - Northern Europe - Mediterranean countries, Middle East and Africa - Americas - Asia Pacific.
The Group is present throughout the world via insurance companies, service companies and/or branches. Euler Hermes has a database with proprietary information on more than 40 million companies worldwide, and provides coverage on shipments to 200 countries around the globe.
This region includes all the direct insurance and reinsurance activities carried out in the United States, Brazil and Canada, as well as related collection revenues.
Asia & Pacific
This region has all the direct insurance and reinsurance activities realized by subsidiaries based in Asia (China, Indonesia, Japan, India, Singapore, Macau, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand).
In 1927, Société Française d’Assurance Crédit (SFAC) is founded by diver's large insurance societies, including Assurances Générales (a precursor of AGF). Euler Hermes is born from the merge between SFAC and Hermes in Germany.
Germany - Austria - Switzerland
This region combines the direct insurance and assumed business realized by the German enterprises in Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
Mediterranean countries, Middle East & Africa
This region includes the direct insurance and assumed business in Italy, Greece, Morocco, Turkey, Tunisia, the Gulf Countries and South Africa. Since 2013, the region does not cover the activity of Spain as the entity was given up to Solunion, the joint enterprise with MAPFRE.
This region combines direct insurance and assumed business in Northern European countries and in Eastern Europe, including United Kingdom, Ireland, Russia, Poland, Nordics and other countries.
The Israeli Credit Insurance Company (ICIC) is the leading credit insurer in Israel. Credit insurer Euler Hermes has raised its stake in Israeli counterpart ICIC to 50%, from 33% in 2007.
COSEC is the leading Insurer in Portugal for credit and insurance. The Portuguese commercial bank BPI and Euler Hermes share COSEC into equal parts.
CPPIC EULER HERMES
In 2017, Euler Hermes and China Pacific Property Insurance Company have launched a distribution joint venture in Asia. The joint venture will be headquartered in Shanghai.
Following the completion of the simplified tender offer opened from April 9 to April 20, 2018, Allianz reached 94.91 percent of the share capital and theoretical voting rights of Euler Hermes. The legal conditions were met on April 27 and Allianz implemented a squeeze-out on the remaining shares of Euler Hermes it did not hold yet, followed by the delisting from Euronext Paris on the very same day.
|(in €millions)||2009||2010||2011 IAS 19 proforma||2012 IAS 19 proforma||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018|
|Net combined ratio||104.7%||68.7%||69.8%||74.6%||75.3%||75.4%||80.1%||79.8%||80.5%||77.9%|
Board of management
- Clarisse Kopff, CEO and Chairperson of the Board of Management
- Fabrice Desnos, Member of Board of Management in charge of Credit Intelligence, Reinsurance and Surety
- Florence Lecoutre, Member of Board of Management in charge of Transformation, Human Resources, Communication & ESG.
- Anil Berry, Member of Board of Management in charge of Market Management, Commercial and Distribution
- Loeiz Limon-Duparcmeur, Group Chief Financial Officer - Group CFO - Member of Board of Management in charge of Finance and Tax.
- Michael Eitelwein, Group Chief Operating Officer - Member of Board of Management in charge of Operations and IT .
- "Financial information | Euler Hermes". www.eulerhermes.com. Retrieved Sep 24, 2020.
- "RatingsDirect : Research Update : Euler Hermes Group Core Subsidiaries Affirmed At 'AA-' On Improved Enterprise Risk Management; Outlook Stable" (PDF). Eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Euler Hermes : nomme Ludovic Subran Chef Economiste". Retrieved Sep 24, 2020.
- "Euler Hermes : 2013 Registration Document" (PDF). Allianz.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "The Insurance Industryand the Economies of Central and Eastern Europe,1918-1945" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-06-20.
- "Euler Hermes increases shareholding in Israeli Credit insurer". Retrieved Sep 24, 2020.
- "裕利安怡中国|贸易信用保险". eulerhermescn.com. Retrieved Sep 24, 2020.
- "Euler Hermes Indonesia". www.eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "取引信用保険 | ユーラーヘルメス". www.eulerhermes.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Euler Hermes India". www.eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Euler Hermes Singapore". www.eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Euler Hermes Malaysia". www.eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Euler Hermes Thailand". www.eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Euler Hermes Hong Kong". www.eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "裕利安宜台灣". www.eulerhermes.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "율러허미스코리아". www.eulerhermes.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Euler Hermes Australia". www.eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Euler Hermes New Zealand". www.eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "🥇 Мировой лидер страхования дебиторской задолженности".
- "Solunion official launch; Euler Hermes, MAPFRE trade credit insurance joint venture". Retrieved Sep 24, 2020.
- "Solunion launches in Dominican Republic". Global Trade Review (GTR). Jan 16, 2017. Retrieved Sep 24, 2020.
- "Shipping and maritime intelligence - Lloyd's List Intelligence". www.lloydslistintelligence.com. Retrieved Sep 24, 2020.
- "COSEC | www.eca-watch.org". www.eca-watch.org. Retrieved Sep 24, 2020.
- "Euler Hermes launches JV with CPIC". Retrieved Sep 24, 2020.
- "2015 Registration Document" (PDF). Eulerhermes.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Euler Hermes Board of Management". Euler Hermes. Retrieved 2021-08-17.
- Gangcuangco, Terry. "Euler Hermes group CFO to switch – replacement named". Insurance Business. Retrieved 2020-03-05.
Media related to Euler Hermes at Wikimedia Commons