Eunice de Souza
|Euinice de Souza|
Early life and education
Eunice de Souza was born and grew up in Pune, in a Goan Catholic family. She studied English literature with an MA from the Marquette University in Wisconsin, and a PhD from the University of Mumbai. She taught English at St. Xavier's College, Mumbai, and was Head of the Department until her recent retirement. She was involved in the well known literary festival Ithaka organized at the college.
She hints at an ancestral Portuguese conversion in the poem de Souza Prabhu:
- No, I'm not going to
- delve deep down and discover
- I'm really de Souza Prabhu
- even if Prabhu was no fool
- and got the best of both worlds.
- (Catholic Brahmin!
- I can hear his fat chuckle still.)
Aside from poetry and fiction,Eunice de Souza has edited numerous anthologies and collections and writes a weekly column for the Mumbai Mirror. Her poetry is also included in Anthology of Contemporary Indian Poetry ( United States ). She currently lives in Mumbai.
- Fix. (1979)
- Women in Dutch Painting. (1988)
- Ways of Belonging. (1990)
- Selected and New Poems. (1994)
- Conversations with Indian Poets. (OUP, 2001) ISBN 978-0-19-564782-2
- Nine Indian Women Poets: An Anthology. (OUP, 2001) ISBN 978-0-19-565847-7
- 101 Folktales From India. (2004)
- Purdah: An Anthology. (OUP, 2004) ISBN 0-19-566661-5
- Women's Voices: Selections from Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century Indian Writing in English. (OUP, 2004) ISBN 978-0-19-566785-1 review
- Early Indian Poetry in English: An Anthology 1829-1947. (OUP, 2005) ISBN 978-0-19-567724-9 review
- The Satthianadhan Family Album. (Sahitya Akademi, 2005) review
- Eunice De Souza (Arlindo Correia's Home Page) Accessed: 20 January 2007.
- Arvind K Mehrotra, ed. (1993). The Oxford India Anthology of Twelve Modern Indian Poets. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-562867-5.p. 119
- "Anthology of Contemporary Indian Poetry". BigBridge.Org. Retrieved 9 June 2016.