Eunice de Souza
Eunice de Souza
|Born||Eunice de Souza|
Early life and education
Eunice de Souza was born and grew up in Pune, in a Goan Catholic family. She studied English literature with an MA from the Marquette University in Wisconsin, and a PhD from the University of Mumbai. She taught English at St. Xavier's College, Mumbai, and was Head of the Department until her recent retirement. She was involved in the well known literary festival Ithaka organized at the college.
She hints at an ancestral Portuguese conversion in the poem de Souza Prabhu:
- No, I'm not going to
- delve deep down and discover
- I'm really de Souza Prabhu
- even if Prabhu was no fool
- and got the best of both worlds.
- (Catholic Brahmin!
- I can hear his fat chuckle still.)
Aside from poetry and fiction,Eunice de Souza has edited numerous anthologies and collections and wrote a weekly column for the Mumbai Mirror. Her poetry is also included in Anthology of Contemporary Indian Poetry ( United States ).
She died on July 29, 2017.
- Fix. (1979)
- Women in Dutch Painting. (1988)
- Ways of Belonging. (1990)
- Selected and New Poems. (1994)
- Learn from the Almond Leaf (Poetrywala, 2016)
- Nine Indian Women Poets: An Anthology. (OUP, 2001) ISBN 978-0-19-565847-7
- 101 Folktales From India. (2004)
- Purdah: An Anthology. (OUP, 2004) ISBN 0-19-566661-5
- Women's Voices: Selections from Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century Indian Writing in English. (OUP, 2004) ISBN 978-0-19-566785-1 review
- Early Indian Poetry in English: An Anthology 1829-1947. (OUP, 2005) ISBN 978-0-19-567724-9 review
- The Satthianadhan Family Album. (Sahitya Akademi, 2005) review
- These My Words: The Penguin Book of Indian Poetry (Co-edited with Melanie Silgardo, Penguin 2012)
- "EUNICE DE SOUZA". arlindo-correia.com. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 September 2009. Retrieved 24 September 2008.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Arvind K Mehrotra, ed. (1993). The Oxford India Anthology of Twelve Modern Indian Poets. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-562867-5.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)p. 119
- "Anthology of Contemporary Indian Poetry". BigBridge.Org. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
https://web.archive.org/web/20070122144810/http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/lr/2002/06/02/stories/2002060200180300.htm. Archived from the original on 22 January 2007. Missing or empty
- http://www.ndtv.com/ent/bookextracts.asp?id=29&slug=Dangerlok. Missing or empty