Established in 1990, the Australian Museum Eureka Prizes reward excellence across the categories of research & innovation, leadership, science engagement and school science. Through a unique partnership with Australia’s leading scientific institutions, universities, state and federal government and corporations, the Eureka Prizes raise the profile of science in the community by celebrating outstanding achievements in Australian science.
Each prize is judged by a panel of eminent and qualified individuals, whose contribution of expertise and time helps support the credibility of the Eureka Prizes. In 2019, 17 prizes and $170,000 in prize money will be awarded.
Research and Innovation
- Environmental Research, sponsored by the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage
- Excellence in Data Science, sponsored by the University of Technology Sydney
- Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research, sponsored by The University of New South Wales
- Infectious Diseases Research, sponsored by the Australian Infectious Diseases Research Centre at the University of Queensland
- Innovative Use of Technology, sponsored by the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
- Outstanding Early Career Researcher, sponsored by Macquarie University
- Outstanding Science in Safeguarding Australia, sponsored by Defence Science and Technology Organisation
- Scientific Research, sponsored by the University of New South Wales
- Emerging Leader in Science, sponsored by 3M
- Leadership in Innovation and Science, sponsored by CSIRO
- Outstanding Mentor of Young Researchers, sponsored by University of Technology, Sydney
- Innovation in Citizen Science, sponsored by the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- Long-Form Science Journalism, made possible due to a contribution by the Finkel Foundation.
- Promoting Understanding of Science, sponsored by Celestino
- Science Journalism, sponsored by the Australian Museum
- STEM Inclusion, sponsored by the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- Sleek Geeks Science Eureka Prize - sponsored by the University of Sydney Faculty of Science