This article relies excessively on references to primary sources. (October 2017)
|Begins||24 August 2022|
|Ends||28 August 2022|
|Coordinates||53°33′42.47″N 9°59′9.36″E / 53.5617972°N 9.9859333°ECoordinates: 53°33′42.47″N 9°59′9.36″E / 53.5617972°N 9.9859333°E|
|Inaugurated||30 June 1995|
|Attendance||3495 (Eurofurence 26)|
|Organised by||Eurofurence e.V.|
Eurofurence (commonly abbreviated EF) is a furry convention held in changing places in Europe every year (in Berlin, Germany since 2014 and will remain there for the time being). It was originally started in 1995 as a private gathering by nineteen European furry fans who met on the Internet. Attendance has been steadily rising since then, to 3,495 at Eurofurence 26 (held in 2022), making it the largest furry convention outside the United States. The name of the convention derives from its American back-then-counterpart ConFurence, emphasising the European nature of the gathering.
Since the year 2000, Eurofurence is no longer organized by individual persons but rather by the German Verein Eurofurence e.V., which serves as an administrative body for the convention.
Contrary to most American furry conventions, Eurofurence traditionally took place at youth hostels. In 2007, Eurofurence was first held at a hotel (the Hotel Ringberg in Suhl).
Eurofurence by year
Below is a table of statistics regarding each year Eurofurence has been held. Since 1999 (possibly except for 6 and 9), the convention has had at least one guest of honour yearly. Since 2002, the convention has had a "theme" every year, with T-shirt designs and venue "dressing" to reflect the theme.
|Convention||Dates||Location||Attendance||Theme||Guest(s) of Honour|
|Eurofurence 1||30 June–3 July 1995||Kaiser-Wilhelm-Koog, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany||19||N/A||N/A|
|Eurofurence 2||18–22 July 1996||Linköping, Östergötland, Sweden||35|
|Eurofurence 3||21–24 August 1997||Bodstedt, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany||59|
|Eurofurence 4||1–5 August 1998||Heeze, North Brabant, Netherlands||94|
|Eurofurence 5||22–25 July 1999||Berlin, Germany||112||Lisanne Norman, author of the Sholan Alliance series of books|
|Eurofurence 6||10–13 August 2000||Göttingen, Lower Saxony, Germany||160||Unknown|
|Eurofurence 7||22–25 July 2001||Kirchen (Sieg), Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany||230||Lisanne Norman; Lee "Chairo" Strom, Fursuiter, Puppeteer, and member of the Further Confusion organising team since 2003; Mark Merlino, co-founder of ConFurence, the original Furry Convention|
|Eurofurence 8||15–18 August 2002||Oberbernhards, Hesse, Germany||260||The F.I.A. (Furry Intelligence Agency)||Dr Samuel "Uncle Kage" Conway, Chairman of Anthrocon|
|Eurofurence 9||21–24 August 2003||Samopše, Středočeský kraj, Czech Republic||165||Cunning Little Vixens||Dr Samuel "Uncle Kage" Conway, Chairman of Anthrocon|
|Eurofurence 10[a]||26–29 August 2004||Olpe, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany||295||EFX : The Movie||Timothy Albee, Creator of Kaze: Ghost Warrior|
|Eurofurence XI||21–24 July 2005||Nürnberg, Bavaria, Germany||380||Songs of the Old Ages||Heather Alexander, Celtic Folk/World Rock Musician|
|Eurofurence 12||23–27 August 2006||405||The Hounds of Blackwhite Castle||Dark Natasha, furry artist, winner of Best Anthropomorphic Published Illustration at the Ursa Major Awards in 2002|
|Eurofurence 13||5–9 September 2007||Suhl, Thuringia, Germany||585||The Unlucky Thirteen||Lance Ikegawa, costume designer and Steve Gallacci, Creator of Albedo.[b] Alexander James Adams appeared as musical guest.|
|Eurofurence 14||27–31 August 2008||777||From Dusk till Dawn||Watts Martin, writer and fanzine editor/publisher, and Steve Gallacci.|
|Eurofurence 15||26–30 August 2009||955||1001 Arabian Nights||Jimmy Chin, furry artist and fursuiter|
|Eurofurence 16||1–5 September 2010||Magdeburg, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany||973||Serengeti||Stan Sakai, comic author, creator of Usagi Yojimbo|
|Eurofurence 17||17–21 August 2011||1,066||Kung Fur Hustle||Jim Martin, a distinguished Puppeteer|
|Eurofurence 18||29 August–2 September 2012||1,278||Animalia Romana||Peter S. Beagle, novel and fantasy fiction author, creator of The Last Unicorn|
|Eurofurence 19||21–25 August 2013||1,376||Aloha Hawaii!||Warrick Brownlow-Pike, Andy Heath and Iestyn Evans from the BBC comedy "Mongrels"|
|Eurofurence 20||20–24 August 2014||Berlin, Germany||2,015||CSI Berlin||Kyell Gold, Ursula Vernon, Sofawolf Press and Sardyuon|
|Eurofurence 21||19–23 August 2015||2,095||Greenhouse World||Rhubarb the Bear and Cosmik|
|Eurofurence 22||17–21 August 2016||2,573||Back to the 80s||Dorothy Hearst, Author of The Wolf Chronicles book trilogy|
|Eurofurence 23||16–20 August 2017||2,853||Ancient Egypt||Pepper Coyote (Musician) and Clockwork Creature (costume and design studio)|
|Eurofurence 24||22–26 August 2018||2,911||Aviators - Conquer the Sky||Joaquin Baldwin (Animator, photographer)|
|Eurofurence 25||14–18 August 2019||3,414||Fractures in Time||Claudya 'AlectorFencer' Schmidt, Author of Myre|
|Eurofurence 26||24–28 August 2022
(Originally 19–23 August 2020)
|3,495||Welcome to Tortuga||Fox Amoore and JoJoe|
|Eurofurence 27||3-7 September 2023||Hamburg, Germany||N/A||Black Magic||TBA|
- Pawpet show - Furry handpuppet story with custom plot, music and effects
- Enter the Arena - Fursuit dance contest
- Big Blue Dance - Disco with live DJ, light effects and live mixed background animations
- Group Photo
- Fursuit parade
- Art Auction - Bidding for art
- Dealers' Den - Possibility to sell/buy merchandise and art
- DDR Tournament
- ^ "Eurofurence Archive". Eurofurence. Archived from the original on 20 July 2022. Retrieved 15 May 2022.
- ^ Staff writer (23 August 1997). "Internet-Fans treffen sich in Bodstedt". Ostsee-Zeitung (in German).
- ^ Frank Hommel (8 September 2007). "Mit 'nem Tiger im Fahrstuhl". Freies Wort (in German). p. 2. Archived from the original on 28 February 2009.
- ^ Heike Hüchtemann (8 September 2007). "Rollenspiele abseits des wirklichen Lebens". Freies Wort (in German). p. 13. Archived from the original on 7 July 2009.
- ^ Staff writer (8 September 2007). "Eine Welt für sich". Thüringer Allgemeine (in German).
- ^ Conference Guests Archived 8 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine page (2007).
- ^ Conference Guests Archived 14 September 2016 at the Wayback Machine page (2008).
- ^ Guest of Honor Archived 26 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine (2012).
- ^ Guests of Honor Archived 13 September 2016 at the Wayback Machine (2013)
- ^ "Eurofurence 20 - Crime Scene Berlin - Aug. 20. - 24., 2014". www.eurofurence.org. Archived from the original on 14 September 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Guests of Honor". www.eurofurence.org. Archived from the original on 13 September 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Eurofurence 21 - Greenhouse World (Aug. 19 - 23, 2015)". www.eurofurence.org. Archived from the original on 14 September 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Our Guests of Honor - Eurofurence 21". www.eurofurence.org. Archived from the original on 14 September 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Eurofurence 22 - Back to the 80s". www.eurofurence.org. Archived from the original on 14 September 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Guests of Honor - Eurofurence 22". www.eurofurence.org. Archived from the original on 7 October 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Eurofurence 23 - Ancient Egypt". www.eurofurence.org. Archived from the original on 30 June 2017. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Guests of Honor - Eurofurence 23". www.eurofurence.org. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Eurofurence 24 »Aviators - Conquer the Sky!«". Eurofurence 24 - Aviators - Conquer the Sky!. Archived from the original on 17 May 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Guest of Honor: Joaquin Baldwin". Eurofurence 24 - Aviators - Conquer the Sky!. Archived from the original on 8 March 2023. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "Welcome". Eurofurence 25 - Fractures In Time. Archived from the original on 2 September 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- ^ "EF25 Hella Lots to Talk About!". Eurofurence 25 Schedule. Archived from the original on 8 March 2023. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- ^ @Eurofurence (30 April 2020). "Friends, it is with deep regret that we must announce the cancellation of Eurofurence for 2020. We did not come to this decision lightly: the safety of our attendees, staff, hotel personnel and many others is paramount..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ "Welcome". Eurofurence 26 - Welcome to Tortuga. Archived from the original on 24 August 2019. Retrieved 24 August 2019.
- ^ "Guests of Honor". Eurofurence 26 - Welcome to Tortuga - On the High Seas. Archived from the original on 15 December 2022. Retrieved 15 December 2022.
- ^ "Eurofurence 27: Home". Eurofurence 27 - Black Magic. Archived from the original on 15 December 2022. Retrieved 15 December 2022.