|Industry||Financial services, Electronic funds transfer, Retail|
|Michael J. Brown|
(Chairman, CEO, and President)
Kevin J. Caponecchi
(Executive Vice President and CEO, epay, Software and EFT Asia Pacific Division)
Rick L. Weller
(Executive Vice President and CFO)
Juan C. Bianchi
(Executive Vice President and CEO, Money Transfer Segment)
(Executive Vice President and CEO, EFT Europe, Middle East and Africa Division)
Martin L. Brückner
|Revenue||$2.487 billion (2020)|
|$46.6 million (2020)|
|-$3.4 million (2020)|
|Total assets||$4.927 billion (2020)|
|Total equity||$1.446 billion (2020)|
Number of employees
Euronet Worldwide is an American-headquartered worldwide provider of electronic payment services with headquarters in Leawood, Kansas. It offers automated teller machines (ATM), point of sale (POS) services, credit/debit card services, currency exchange and other electronic financial services and payments software. Among others, it provides the prepaid subsidiaries Transact, PaySpot, e-pay, Movilcarga, TeleRecarga and ATX.
As of 2019, Euronet services 50,000 ATMs and 330,000 EFT point-of-sale terminals across 170 countries.
The company was founded in 1994 by brothers-in-law Dan Henry and Mike Brown and headquartered in Leawood, Kansas. In 1998, Euronet purchased ARKSYS, a computer software company that specialized in electronic payment and transaction delivery systems. On January 23, 2002, Euronet Worldwide announced the formation of a joint venture with Hong Kong-based First Mobile Group Holdings Limited.
In April 2014, Walmart started offering a store-to-store money transfer service, partnering with Euronet's subsidiary Ria Money Transfer. Walmart2Walmart allows shoppers to transfer money to and from 4,000 Walmart stores in the U.S. In 2016, the program was expanded into the global money transfer service market with Walmart2World.
In June 2015, subsidiary Ria Money Transfer entered the Middle East remittance market with the buyout of money transfer provider, IME. In February 2020, Ria opened its first retail store in Singapore, allowing customers to transfer money at foreign exchange rates. In May 2020, Ria announced an expansion of their money transfer mobile app to European customers. In July 2020, OXXO, the largest chain of convenience stores in Latin America, partnered with Euronet’s Ria Money Transfer to begin offering money transferring services within their stores. 
In December 2018, Euronet signed an agreement with Mozambique to provide software for the nation's financial system. Under the agreement, Euronet supports transaction processing services, connections to major card associations, ATM and Point of Sale device driving, card issuing, mobile recharge, bill payments, and digital wallets, among other services.
Euronet launched REN Foundation, a program that allows payment processors to add updated payment technology without having to replace existing hardware and software. The program allows banks and other payment service providers to adopt new technologies as they become available. The country of Mozambique switched its entire payment systems to run on Euronet’s REN Foundation program.
In January 2020, Euronet partnered with Standard Chartered to allow international ATM users to pay in their own currency rather than the local currency using a dynamic currency conversion (DCC) service. The ATM service will be provided in countries across Asia Pacific and the Middle East. That same month, Euronet began offering a recurring billing service to allow monthly payments for AppleCare products. Euronet also entered an agreement with AMBER Alert Europe in January 2020 to publish active missing child alerts on ATM screens. The next month, Euronet partnered with Amazon India to provide add-on payment services to Amazon’s mobile wallet platform.
In December 2020, Euronet purchased 700 non-branch ATMs from the Bank of Ireland.
- e-pay, Ltd., February 2003, an electronic payments processor of prepaid mobile airtime top-up services in the U.K. and Australia. This added a prepaid processing division to Euronet that grew with the September 2003 purchase of Austin International Marketing and Investments, Inc. (AIM), a U.S. based company, and the acquisition of the German company transact Elektronische Zahlungssysteme GmbH in November 2003.
- Ria Money Transfer, 2007, a global money transfer company with a network of agents and company-owned stores in North America, the Caribbean, Europe and Asia. In June 2015, Ria entered the Middle East remittance market with the buyout of money transfer provider, IME.
- Pure Commerce, 2013, giving it access to a suite of SaaS based applications.
- HiFX, May 2014, a UK-based international payments provider giving it access to cross border payment business in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. This acquisition allowed Euronet to offer international payment services between accounts for high-income individuals and small-to-medium-sized businesses.
- xe.com, July 2015, a provider of digital foreign exchange rate information, bringing Euronet a large internet presence and users familiar with foreign currency.
- Innova, April 2018, which would allow Euronet to provide value-added tax refunds to its customers.
- Dolphin Debit, April 2020, a U.S. based ATM outsourcing company. Euronet operates ATM outsourcing services worldwide, but the 2020 acquisition allows the company to expand its outsourcing services to the U.S. for the first time.
In 2018, the Danish Consumer Council warned against using the ATMs due to high fees. "The fee is the same as if you withdraw in an ATM that is physically located abroad." Euronet states the fee is due to Danish banks not cooperating with Euronet to offer Dankort, the national debit card of Denmark, in the machine.
In January 2019, the municipality of Amsterdam announced its plans to prevent new Euronet ATMs from opening in shop facades, as Euronet "charges a hefty fee per cash withdrawal and uses unfavorable exchange rates."
The Czech Ministry of Finance drew attention of dynamic currency conversion to the European Union. The EU responded by adopting a new EU Regulation, according to which ATMs will have to show customers the exchange rate as well as the deviation from the exchange rate set by the European Central Bank. It entered into force in April 2020. Advocates for dynamic currency conversion argue that fees, in general, offer visibility of the total costs at the point of transaction.
In 2019, Euronet faced criticism from the city of Prague, where it had installed hundreds of ATMs, several of which have been illegally installed into the facades of historical buildings and heritage sites without permission, in some cases irreversibly damaging the buildings. One particular example is the cubist Kiosk at Vrchlického sady, which has been judged by UNESCO to have been damaged beyond repair by the installation of a Euronet ATM.
- The EFT processing segment provides outsourcing and network services to financial institutions and mobile phone companies. This segment provided these services using a network of ATMs and POS terminals in Europe, Asia, and the Middle-East.
- The prepaid processing - ePay division distributes prepaid mobile airtime, and other prepaid products and collections services for various prepaid products, cards, and services. This segment operates in a network of locations in the United States, Europe, Africa, Asia Pacific, and the Middle-East. It also provides prepaid long-distance calling card plans, prepaid internet plans, prepaid debit cards, and prepaid gift cards, as well as prepaid mobile content, such as ring tones and games.
- The money transfer segment provides global money transfer and bill payment services primarily in North America, the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia-Pacific.
- "Euronet CEO Brown, Dunns receive UMKC Bloch School awards"., Retrieved on February 27, 2020
- "Brown becomes Euronet president; Caponecchi takes new title"., Retrieved on February 27, 2020
- "Juan C. Bianchi". Wall Street Journal Markets. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- "Nikos Fountas"., Retrieved on February 27, 2020
- "Euronet Worldwide 2020 Financial Results"., Retrieved on March 3, 2020
- "EEFT - Profile, Euronet Worldwide, Inc". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 14 December 2020.
- "Industry Comparables and Peers". epay-asia.com. Retrieved April 30, 2019.
- "High Profile: For Tony Warren, personal touch is fundamental". Arkansas Online. 2020-05-24. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- Euronet to Expand Business and Product Line by Acquiring ARKSYS, Euronet - Press Release Archived 2006-03-17 at the Wayback Machine, Retrieved on May 14, 2008
- "Euronet Forms Asian Joint Venture with First Mobile Group".
- "Walmart Will Enter Cash Wiring Business". The New York Times. 18 April 2014.
- "Walmart Unveils Walmart-2-Walmart Money Transfer Service". PYMNTS. 17 April 2014.
- "Walmart Launches Money Transfer Service Between Stores, Competing With Western Union". Forbes. 17 April 2014.
- "Walmart Generates an Estimated $1 Billion in Total Savings For Consumers Through Branded Money Transfer Services". Corporate - US. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Euronet Ria Enters Middle East, Malaysia with IME Buyout". Nasdaq. 23 June 2015.
- "Euronet Arm Opens Store in Singapore for Easy Remittance". Zacks Investment Research. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- "Ria announces new app for European market". FXcompared. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- "OXXO will carry out an allied money transfer with Ria Money Transfer". Opportimes (in Spanish). 2020-07-14. Retrieved 2020-10-07.
- "Euronet software will run the financial system in Mozambique". Bizjournals. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Euronet to provide cloud-based DCC to Standard Chartered across 1000 ATMs in 14 countries". Finextra Research. 2020-01-08. Retrieved 2020-04-09.
- "Euronet's Unit Launches Monthly Billing Service for AppleCare". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "Euronet Worldwide to publish missing children alerts on ATM screens". Finextra Research. 2020-01-13. Retrieved 2020-04-20.
- "Euronet, Amazon sign deal in India, which has 400M customers". Kansas City Business Journal. Retrieved 2020-05-20.
- "Euronet to offer transaction processing services to Amazon India". Cards International. 7 February 2020. Retrieved 2020-05-20.
- "epay to manage transactions between Microsoft and retailers for Xbox-related subscriptions". thepaypers.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- Brennan, Joe. "Bank of Ireland sells 700 ATMs to Euronet for €20m". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2021-02-04.
- "Euronet expands prepaid business with acquisition of UK processor". www.atmmarketplace.com. 18 February 2003. Retrieved 14 December 2020.
- "FORM 10-K". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- "UPDATE 1-Euronet to acquire RIA Envia for $490 mln". Rueters. January 20, 2007.
- Ashley Armstrong (March 11, 2014). "Money transfer company HiFX sold for £145m". The Telegraph.
- "MEDICI | Money Transfer Specialist HiFX Acquired by Euronet Worldwide Inc. for $242 Mn". MEDICI. Retrieved 2020-02-11.
- "OzForex undeterred after missing out on xe.com buy". Sydney Morning Herald. November 10, 2015.
- "Euronet acquires international currency exchange specialist XE". atm marketplace. July 13, 2015.
- "Euronet acquisition adds tax refunds for travelers to its offerings". Kansas City Business Journal. 25 April 2018.
- "Euronet Worldwide Expands in U.S. With Acquisition". Ingram's. 28 April 2020. Retrieved 2020-05-12.
- "Euronet enters U.S. ATM market with acquisition". Kansas City Business Journal. Retrieved 2020-05-12.
- Iversen, Nikolaj (2018-10-26). "Forbrugerrådet advarer: Pas på denne nye type hæveautomat". www.bt.dk (in Danish). Retrieved 2021-01-23.
- Ritzau (2017-09-21). "Forbrugerrådet advarer mod gebyrer i nye hæveautomater". jv.dk (in Danish). Retrieved 2021-01-23.
- Pieters, Janene (2019-01-24). "Amsterdam to halt increasing number of ATMs aimed at tourists". NL Times. NL Times. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "Ministerstvo financí varuje před využíváním služby DCC". Ministerstvo financí České republiky (in Czech). Retrieved 2021-01-23.
- Regulation (EU) 2019/518 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 March 2019 amending Regulation (EC) No 924/2009 as regards certain charges on cross-border payments in the Union and currency conversion charges (Text with EEA relevance.), 2019-03-29, retrieved 2021-01-23
- "Bankomaty matou turisty, konverze je často připraví o desítky eur". iDNES.cz. 2019-12-13. Retrieved 2021-01-23.
- "Benefits of DCC". DCC Forum. Retrieved 11 September 2021.
- Rubeš, Janek; Mikulka, Honza; Burýšek, Jiří (26 February 2019). "Americká společnost nenávratně poničila jedinečnou pražskou památku. Bankomat chtěli dát i do synagogy". www.seznamzpravy.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 14 December 2020.