European Academy of Music Theatre
|Established||26 May 1992|
|Board of Directors||Dominique Meyer (President)|
Kasper Holten (Vicepresident)
The European Academy of Music Theatre (German: Europäische Musiktheater-Akademie, abbreviated EMA) is a Vienna based, non-profit institute which seeks to promote not only a pan-European but also international network for those active in the theory and praxis of Music Theatre. The organisation frequently holds symposia at various European cities and publishes their proceedings. The Academy cultivates and optimises the collaboration of professional activities throughout Europe and beyond.
On 26 May 1992 the European Academy of Music Theatre was founded in Prague's Ständetheater by the Research Institute for Music Theatre Thurnau (Germany), Vanemuine Theatre, Tartu (Estonia), Academy of Sciences, Prague (Czech Republic) and the Department for Theatre, Film and Media Studies, University of Vienna (Austria).
During its period of gestation the Academy's main task was to provide support and knowledge to partners from Eastern Europe. After the completion of numerous projects and collaborations, the EMA increasingly positioned itself as a dialogue board for those professionally active in Music Theatre. This is achieved by establishing contacts between scientific researchers and those involved in music theatre affiliated domains. At its regular symposia EMA provides its members and associates a high-profile forum for exchanging experience and knowledge as well as for presenting latest developments in research, documentation and music theatre.
Since 1992 the European Academy of Music Theatre held fourteen symposia in different European countries, e.g. Russia, Portugal, France and Switzerland. Some of the analysed subjects have been organising and managing opera houses, historiography, as well as aspects of contemporary staging concepts.
At the 2011 general meeting Dominique Meyer and Kasper Holten have been appointed President and Vice President, respectively, and British musicologist John Deathridge has been elected new Member of the Board.
At the 2013 general meeting in London the director of De Vlaamse Opera (Antwerp), Aviel Cahn, has been elected new Member of the Board.
At the 2015 general meeting, held in Vienna, English composer Thomas Adès, Maltese Tenor Joseph Calleja, and Italian musicologist Alessandro Di Profio have been elected into the Board of Directors.
Writings of the European Academy of Music Theatre
- Vol. 10: „Poetischer Ausdruck der Seele“: Die Kunst, Verdi zu singen, ISBN 978-3940768605
- Vol. 9: Opera Staging. Erzählweisen, ISBN 978-3940768476
- Vol. 8: Richard Wagners Der Ring des Nibelungen: Europäische Traditionen und Paradigmen, ISBN 978-3-940768-16-2
- Vol. 7: L’Europe Baroque. Oper im 17. und 18. Jahrhundert. L’opéra aux XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles, ISBN 978-3-940768-17-9
- Vol. 6: Kinderoper. Ästhetische Herausforderung und pädagogische Verpflichtung, ISBN 3-932581-64-4
- Vol. 5: Repertoire und Spielplangestaltung, ISBN 978-3-85145-060-6
- Vol. 4: Musiktheater-Management III: Musiktheater und Recht, ISBN 3-9803671-2-6
- Vol. 3: Musiktheater-Management II: Musiktheater-Marketing, ISBN 3-9803671-1-8
- Vol. 2: Musiktheater-Management I: Betriebsformen, Personal- & Finanzmanagement, Planung & Kontrolle, ISBN 3-9803671-0-X
- Vol. 1: Musiktheater: Um welchen Preis?, ohne ISBN
In cooperation with European Forum Alpbach:
- Teure Kunstform Oper? Musiktheater im neuen Jahrtausend. Strategien und Konzepte, ISBN 978-3-7065-4299-9
To emphasise each symposium's key aspect, the EMA co-operates with select organisations. Thus conferences with renowned partners such as the Vienna State Opera, the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées in Paris and the Teatro Nacional de São Carlos in Lisbon as well as the European Forum Alpbach and the University of Zurich could be held.
- "New Board elected: Meyer (P), Holten (VP); Deathridge, Schade new Members", European Academy of Music Theatre, 7 December 2011
- "New board elected: Thomas Adès, Joseph Calleja and Alessandro Di Profio new members" European Academy of Music Theatre, 10 October 2015
- Simone Young new Member of the Board, 16 March 2016; Retrieved 16 March 2016
- "Partners" European Academy of Music Theatre, 20 October 2015