European Air Transport Leipzig
as a maintenance organisation
European Air Transport Leipzig GmbH, often shortened to EAT Leipzig or EAT-LEJ, is a German cargo airline with its head office and main hub on the grounds of Leipzig/Halle Airport in Schkeuditz. It is wholly owned by Deutsche Post and operates the group's DHL-branded parcel and express services. It also provides ad hoc charter services including livestock transport.
The company in its current form dates from a merger agreement of 10 February 2010, which involved European Air Transport N.V. Brussels. That company was incorporated by the European Air Transport Leipzig GmbH and merged with it. European Air Transport Leipzig employs around 450 pilots and 480 technical personnel. Newly hired pilots are employed by either one of the subcontractors (ACL / DHL UK) or EAT Gmbh with a Leipzig-based contract. The airline also operates a number of routes for British Airways, Iberia, Finnair and Amazon.
European Air Transport operates services to Europe, Middle East and Africa as part of the DHL Aviation network. Besides over 75 smaller "air gateways", the major operational bases of DHL Aviation in Europe are:
|France||Paris||Charles de Gaulle Airport|
|Italy||Bergamo||Orio al Serio International Airport|
|Milan||Milan Malpensa Airport|
|Netherlands||Amsterdam||Amsterdam Airport Schiphol|
|Spain||Madrid||Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport|
|United Kingdom||East Midlands||East Midlands Airport|
As of August 2020, the European Air Transport Leipzig fleet consists of the following aircraft:
|Airbus A330-200F||3||—||Operated for DHL Aviation|
Accidents and incidents
- On 22 November 2003, an Airbus A300 owned by European Air Transport was struck on the left wing tip by a surface-to-air missile shortly after takeoff from Baghdad, Iraq. The crew returned to Baghdad and made an injury-free landing of the crippled aircraft.
- "IATA - Airline and Airport Code Search". iata.org. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- Unternehmensregister (german), entry of 21 |December 2009, made public on 23 December 2009
- "Beteiligungsliste/Participation list" (PDF). Jahresabschluss (HGB)/Annual Financial Statements (HGB). Deutsche Post AG. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 December 2008. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- Unternehmensregister (german), entry of 26 March 2010, made public on 31 March 2010
- DHL's European Air Transport (EAT) airline under new license. Press Release, 31 March 2010
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 July 2012. Retrieved 24 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Global Airline Guide 2019 (Part One)". Airliner World (October 2019): 14.
Media related to European Air Transport Leipzig at Wikimedia Commons