European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes
The European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI) is the professional body for development studies and area studies in Europe. It has about 300 members in 27 countries.
Every three years, EADI holds a general conference, in cooperation with one of the member institutes.
The mission of EADI is to promote quality in research and education, scientific cooperation and the dissemination of development research to the public. EADI aims to further contacts between researchers, development agencies, politicians, individual stakeholders, and national and international organisations in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America. EADI communicates and disseminates research results and training opportunities to such constituencies as: government and non-government development agencies, international development organisations, and the wider media and policy-makers.
The association receives funding from various sources including membership fees and core funding from the Germany's Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.
International Accreditation Council (IAC/EADI)
As part of the quality insurance work, an accreditation programme for Master courses was set up by EADI, named “International Accreditation Council” (IAC/EADI). The council is a member of INQAAHE (International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education).
EADI was founded 1975 in Linz. It was originally based in Vienna, before moving to Tilburg (1982) and Geneva (1988). Since 2000, the secretariat is located in Bonn, hosted by the following three institutions:
- German Development Institute (DIE)
- Capacity Building International (InWEnt)
- Centre for Development Research (ZEF).
- Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS)
- International Institute of Social Studies (ISS)
- as of 2010, see EADI Annual Report 2010 (PDF; 4,0 MB), page 26.
- http://www.palgrave-journals.com/ejdr/index.html European Journal of Development at Palgrave
- About EADI
- EADI Annual Report 2010 (PDF; 4,0 MB), page 27.
- Tribe, Michael (2009) A Short History of the Development Studies Association Archived September 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.eadi.org/navigation/about-eadi.html EADI - the European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes: Home page