European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats
|Formation||11 April 2017|
|Type||Hybrid threats think tank|
The European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats (Hybrid CoE; Finnish: Euroopan hybridiuhkien torjunnan osaamiskeskus) is an intergovernmental think tank based in Helsinki, Finland, focusing on responses to hybrid threats under the auspices of the European Union (EU) and NATO.
Hybrid CoE is described as an in-house think tank that conducts training courses, hosts workshops to policymakers and practitioners, and produces white papers on hybrid threats, such as weaknesses in an electrical grid or possible exploitation of vaguely written legislation. The Centre was formally established on 11 April 2017 under Finnish law with a memorandum of understanding between eight European states and the United States and in alignment with EU and NATO decisions. Three more European states signed the memorandum later. The Centre was inaugurated on 3 October 2017 and allotted a budget of 1.5 million euros. It is located in the Sörnäinen neighbourhood of Helsinki and was manned by fifteen persons in 2018 with international expert networks to support them.
- Standish, Reid (2018-01-18). "Inside a European Center to Combat Russia's Hybrid Warfare". Foreign Policy. Archived from the original on 2018-01-23. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
Located in an unassuming office building filled with boardrooms, lecture halls, and projectors in the Finnish capital, a new entity under the joint auspices of the European Union and NATO was founded with a herculean mission. [...] In this vein, the hybrid center is more of an in-house think tank than a task force dedicated to debunking propaganda or tracking hackers in cyberspace.
- Lähteenmäki, Pekka (2017-11-19). "Sörnäisiin syntyi hybridiuhkien osaamiskeskus – "Pitää katsoa Venäjän yli"" [A centre of excellence on hybrid threats emerged in Sörnäinen – "We have to look beyond Russia"]. Talouselämä (in Finnish). Archived from the original on 2018-01-23. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- "Laki Euroopan hybridiuhkien torjunnan osaamiskeskuksesta 417/2017" [Act on the European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats 417/2017]. www.finlex.fi (in Finnish). 2017-06-28. Archived from the original on 2018-01-24. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- Standish, Reid (2017-10-03). "Finland opens a new center to fight 'hybrid threats' from Russia and beyond". Public Radio International. Archived from the original on 2018-01-23. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- Official website
- Memorandum of Understanding on the European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats