European College of Neuropsychopharmacology
|Type||Non-Profit Scientific Organization|
|Celso Arango, Spain|
|Celso Arango (president)|
Guy Goodwin (Past-President)
Gitte Moos Knudsen (president-elect)
Laurence Lanfumey (Vice-President)
Martien Kas (secretary)
Eduard Vieta (treasurer)
The European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP) is a pan-European, non-profit scientific association that serves as a platform to exchange and promote research in the field of neuropsychopharmacology. The ECNP “is committed to ensuring that advances in the understanding of brain function and human behaviour are translated into better treatments and enhanced public health”. The ECNP organizes a number of activities to achieve this aim, such as a yearly congress, schools, workshops, seminars and supported talks.
In 1984 representatives of neuropsychopharmacological societies from across Europe suggested there might be room for a European structure. A meeting to discuss this plan further was held in Copenhagen in May 1985. It was decided that a European College of Neuropsychopharmacology would be founded. A Working Group was formed to plan of the association’s inaugural scientific congress. This congress was held in Brussels in 1987. Around 500 people attended.
The Working Group consisted of:
- Carlos Ballús, Spain
- Per Bech, Denmark
- Giovanni Cassano, Italy
- Alexandra Delini-Stula, Switzerland
- Markus Gastpar, Switzerland
- Carl-Gerhard Gottfries, Sweden
- Lars F. Gram, Denmark
- Max Hamilton, United Kingdom
- Paul Kielholz, Switzerland
- Julien Mendlewicz, Belgium
- Giorgio Racagni, Italy
- Eckart Ruther, Germany
- Michael Trimble, United Kingdom
- Willem Verhoeven, Netherlands
- Jennifer Wakelin, Netherlands
- Édouard Zarifian, France
The ECNP’s executive organ is the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee consists of six officers (the president, vice- president, president-elect, past-president, secretary and treasurer) and a maximum of six councillors. The Executive Committee has a three year term.
The 2013-2016 Executive Committee consists of:
Celso Arango, Spain, president
Guy Goodwin, United Kingdom, Past-President
Gitte Moos Knudsen, Denmark, president-elect
Joseph Zohar, Israel, past-president
Laurence Lanfumey, France, Vice-President
Eduard Vieta, Spain, treasurer Martien Kas, The Netherlands, Secretary
Alexander Schubert, The Netherlands
Past presidents are:
Joseph Zohar, Israel (2010-2013)
David Nutt, United Kingdom (2007-2010)
Julien Mendlewicz, Belgium (2004-2007)
Yves Lecrubier, France (2002-2004)
Jan M. van Ree, Netherlands (1998-2002)
Manfred Ackenheil, Germany (1995-1998)
Stuart A. Montgomery, United Kingdom (1992-1995)
Salomon Z. Langer, France (1989-1992)
Carl-Gerhard Gottfries, Sweden (1987-1989)
- Award Committee
- The Award Committee reviews award applications. The terms and criteria for awards are set by the Executive Committee.
- Communication Committee
- The Communication Committee is concerned with scientific publications, including European Neuropsychopharmacology and ECNP Matters.
- Consultation Meeting Committee
- The Consultation Meeting Committee is concerned with the programme of the annual Consultation Meeting.
- Educational Committee
- The Educational Committee is concerned with training activities and educational programs, especially for junior scientists.
- Certificate Committee
- The Certificate Committee oversees the curriculum of the ECNP Certificate. It reviews applications, assigns mentors, evaluates the quality of submitted projects, and advises the Educational Committee on whether the requisite standard has been met. The committee is responsible for setting and maintaining the Certificate’s standard.
- Junior Members Advisory Panel
- The Junior Members Advisory Panel advises the Executive Committee on programmes and activities to support and encourage junior scientists.
- Membership Committee
- The Membership Committee reviews applications for ECNP membership.
- School Committee
- The School Committee designs the curricula of the ECNP Schools, reviews applications and selects participants.
- Workshop Committee
- The Workshop Committee co-ordinates the organisation of the ECNP Workshop.
Committees independent from the Executive committee are:
- ECNP Review Board
- Nominating Committee
- The Nominating Committee nominates candidates for the future Executive Committee.
- Scientific Programme Committee (ECNP Congress)
- This committee is responsible for the scientific programme of the ECNP Congress. Its goal is to protect and promote the congress’s scientific quality.
- Scientific Advisory Panels
- ECNP Congress
- The ECNP Congress is an annual meeting on applied neuroscience and mental disorders. The meeting is intended for medical researchers in neuropsychopharmacology, psychiatry and neurology, clinicians and practitioners, neuroscientists, and public health professionals.
- ECNP School
- The ECNP has two schools for junior scientists annually:
- The ECNP School of Neuropsychopharmacology
- The ECNP School of Child and Adolescent Neuropsychopharmacology
- The ECNP Schools are a week of intensive training for young clinicians.
- ECNP Workshop
- The ECNP organizes an annual three-day workshop for 100 junior scientists in Europe.
- ECNP Seminar
- The ECNP Seminars are two-day meetings, held in different European countries, focused on research training for junior psychiatrists who have limited access to international meetings.
- Neuropsychopharmacology Award
- This award recognizes innovative and distinguished research achievements in neuropsychopharmacology and closely related disciplines. It is awarded once a year, with the research focus alternating between basic science and clinical research.
- Poster Award
- The Poster Award is awarded to the best posters at the ECNP Congress.
- Travel Award
- The Travel Award is awarded to the best abstracts by junior scientists sent in for the ECNP Congress.
The ECNP publishes European Neuropsychopharmacology, which is a monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal. Michael Davidson is the Editor-in-Chief.
Alliance for Biomedical Research in Europe
European Brain Council (EBC) (founder member)
Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS) (founder member)
International Union of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology (IUPHAR)
- "Our aims and objectives". www.ecnp.eu. 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- ECNP (2012). ECNP 25: 25 years of the Science and Treatment of Disorders of the Brain.
- "Past Executive Committees". www.ecnp.eu. 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Executive Committee". www.ecnp.eu. 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Executive Committee". www.ecnp.eu. 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Past Executive Committees". www.ecnp.eu. 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Committees". www.ecnp.eu. 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.