European Confederation of Conservator-Restorers' Organisations
|Focus||Conservation-restoration of cultural heritage|
|Headquarters||70 Rue Coudenberg, BE-1000 Brussels, Belgium|
|Susan Corr (President)|
The European Confederation of Conservator-Restorers' Organisations (ECCO or E.C.C.O.) is a European non-governmental professional organisation aimed at safeguarding cultural heritage through the use of conservation-restoration techniques.
Organisation and objectives
E.C.C.O. was established in 1991 by 14 European conservator-restorers' organisations. As of 2018 it represents close to 6,000 professionals within 22 European countries and 25 members organisations, including one international body (International Association of Book and Papers Conservators – IADA). E.C.C.O. represents the field of preservation of cultural heritage, both movable and immovable, with the mission:
- to organize, develop and promote, on a practical, scientific and cultural level, the profession of the Conservator-Restorer
- to set standards and regulate practice at European level and enhance communication between and mobility of professionals
- to strengthen the role and responsibilities of the Conservator-Restorer in relation to others in safeguarding cultural heritage.
E.C.C.O. was founded on 14 October 1991 as European federation of restorers’ associations, with the aim of working together to develop a common European project for professional recognition of the conservator-restorers’ profession. New associations have joined as the European Union has expanded. E.C.C.O. has established principles and encouraged regulation to control access to the profession of the Conservator-Restorer, by working on professional standards and publishing guidelines for education and practice.
Projects in which E.C.C.O. has participated include APEL (1998–2001), CON.B.E.FOR (1999–2001), and FULCO (1998), resulting in the Document of Vienna. E.C.C.O. was also involved in the production of the Document of Pavia (1997), the Namur Declaration (2015), and the Declaration of Berlin (2016). E.C.C.O. has produced various professional guidelines:
- I The Profession (2002)
- II Code of Ethics (2003)
- III Education and Training (2004)
- Competences for Access to the Conservation-Restoration Profession (2011)
Since the end of 2014, E.C.C.O. has followed a new strategic plan and its proposed implementation. Since April 2015, E.C.C.O. has been granted observer status to the plenary sessions of the Council of Europe Steering Committee on Landscape, Heritage and Culture (CDCPP). Several projects are running concerning the legal situation of Cultural Heritage and Conservator-Restorers throughout Europe, working towards mutual recognition of the members of E.C.C.O.’s member organizations in Europe. The international network in the field of cultural heritage and conservation-restoration is being extended and intensified working with ICCROM, ENCoRE, ICOMOS, Europa Nostra, IIC, ICOM-CC, and other organisations. As a member, E.C.C.O. is also involved in the activities of the network in the European Heritage Alliance 3.3. Since 2017, E.C.C.O. has participated in the European Commission project Voices of Culture – Skills, Training and Knowledge Transfer: Traditional and Emerging Heritage – Structured Dialogue. In November 2016, the E.C.C.O. 20th Anniversary Barcelona book was published.
Presidents of E.C.C.O.
The following have been presidents of E.C.C.O.:
- Mogens Koch (1991–1992)
- Ulrich Schiessl (1993–1994)
- Pierre Masson (1995–1997)
- Stéfan Pennec (1998–2000)
- Gerlinde Tauschnig (2001–2002)
- Ylva Player Dahnsjö (2003–2004)
- Michael van Gompen (2005)
- Monica Martelli Castaldi (2006–2012)
- Susan Corr (2013 – present)
- List of cultural conservation-restoration organizations
- List of dates in the history of conservation and restoration
- "European Confederation of Conservator-restorers' Organisations (ECCO)". www.buildingconservation.com. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "The European Confederation of Conservator-Restorers' Organisations (E.C.C.O.)". www.eesc.europa.eu. European Economic and Social Committee (EESC). Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "Members". ECCO.
- "IADA: International Association of Book and Papers Conservators". Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "History". ECCO.
- "Activities". ECCO.
- Martelli Castaldi, Monica; Aguilella Cueco, David; Hutchings, Jeremy; E.C.C.O. "A European Recommendation for the Conservation-Restoration of cultural heritage". CeROArt: Conservation, Exposition, Restauration D'Objets D'Art.
- "Comparative research CON.BE.FOR Conservator¬Restorers of Cultural Heritage in Europe: education centers and institutes" (PDF). ECCO.
- "Document of Vienna". www.encore-edu.org.
- "Document of Pavia" (PDF). ECCO. 1997.
- "Namur Declaration" (PDF) (in French). ECCO. 2015.
- "Declaration of Berlin" (PDF). ECCO. 2016.
- Šubic Prislan, Jana (2016). "Društvo restavratorjev Slovenije – aktiven član Evropske konfederacije konservatorsko-restavratorskih organizacij E.C.C.O. (European Confederation of Conservator-Restorers' Organisations)". ARGO – Journal of the Slovene Museums. Ljubljana. 59 (2): 110–113. ISSN 0570-8869.
- "The Profession" (PDF). E.C.C.O. Professional Guidelines (I). ECCO. 2002.
- "Code of Ethics" (PDF). E.C.C.O. Professional Guidelines (II). ECCO. 2003.
- "Education" (PDF). E.C.C.O. Professional Guidelines (III). ECCO. 2004.
- "Competences for Access to the Conservation-Restoration Profession" (PDF). ECCO. 2011.
- Hutchings, Jeremy; Corr, Susan (April 2012). "A framework for access to the conservation–restoration profession via the mapping of its specialist competencies". Higher Education. 63 (4): 439–454. doi:10.1007/s10734-011-9450-y.
- Hutchings, Jeremy. "Educating the Conservator-Restorer: Evaluating education delivery in terms of the new E.C.C.O. Competence Framework for access to the Profession – The Oslo University case study". icom-cc-publications-online.org.
- "Strategic Goals" (PDF). ECCO. January 2015.
- Galán Pérez, Ana (2017). "La Conservación-Restauración en el marco profesional Europeo: La Reunión de Nájera para el desarrollo Español del Plan Estratégico de E.C.C.O.-Confederación Europea de Organizaciones de Conservadores-Restauradores". Ge-conservación. 1 (12). GE-International Institute For Conservation.
- "Strategic Implementation" (PDF). ECCO. January 2015.
- "Steering Committee for Culture, Heritage and Landscape (CDCPP)". Council of Europe. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "ICOM-CC – Conservation Committee for Conservation". International Council of Museums. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "European Heritage Alliance 3.3". europeanheritagealliance.eu. European Union. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "E.C.C.O. 20th Anniversary Barcelona 2011" (PDF). Brussels: E.C.C.O. 2016. ISBN 978-92-990072-7-3. Retrieved 21 January 2018.