European Data Protection Board
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The European Data Protection Board (EDPB) is an independent European body whose purpose is to ensure consistent application of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and to promote cooperation among the EU’s data protection authorities. On 25 May 2018, the EDPB replaced the Article 29 Working Party.
The EDPB remit includes:
- issuing guidelines, recommendations and identifying best practices related to the interpretation and application of the GDPR,
- advising the European Commission on matters related to the protection of personal data in the European Economic Area (EEA),
- adopting opinions to ensure the consistency of application of the GDPR by the national supervisory authorities, in particular on decisions having cross-border effects,
- acting as a dispute resolution body in case of dispute between the national authorities cooperating on enforcement in the context of cross-border cases,
- encouraging the development of codes of conduct and establishing certification mechanisms in the field of data protection,
- promoting cooperation and effective exchange of information and good practices among national supervisory authorities.
The European Data Protection Board is represented by its Chair who is elected from the members of the Board by simple majority for a five-year term, renewable once. The same election procedure and term of office apply to the two deputy chairs.
Currently, the Chairmanship of the Board is held by:
- Andrea Jelinek, Chair,
- Ventsislav Karadjov, Deputy Chair
- Aleid Wolfsen, Deputy Chair
The Board is composed of representatives of the 27 EU and 3 EEA EFTA national data protection authorities and the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS).
- Smith, John (January 10, 2018). "Article 29 Working Party". European Data Protection Board - European Data Protection Board.
- "Art. 70 GDPR, Tasks of the Board".
- Smith, John (January 10, 2018). "About EDPB". European Data Protection Board - European Data Protection Board.
- "European Data Protection Supervisor". European Data Protection Supervisor - European Data Protection Supervisor.