|Other EOC Games|
Jeux olympiques (French)
The European Games is an international multi-sport event in the Olympic tradition contested by athletes from European nations. The Games were envisioned and are to be governed by the European Olympic Committees (EOC), which announced their launch at its 41st General Assembly in Rome, on 8 December 2012. The 2015 European Games, the first edition of the event, took place in Baku, Azerbaijan in June 2015, and further editions are planned every four years thereafter. The 2019 edition is scheduled for Minsk, Belarus, having previously been awarded to the Netherlands, and Russia.
The European Games are the final continental Games to be initiated, after the Asian Games, Pan American Games, Pacific Games and African Games. As of 2015, every continent will have a continental games in the Olympic tradition.
The European Games are not related to the European Championships, an event organised by individual European sports federations, bringing together the individual European Championships of Athletics, Swimming, Artistic Gymnastics, Cycling, Rowing, Golf and Triathlon under a single 'brand' on a four-yearly cycle beginning in 2018, and broadcast by agreement with the EBU.
List of European Games
|Edition||Year||Host City||Host Nation||Start Date||End Date||Nations||Competitors||Sports||Events||Top Placed Team|
|I||2015||Baku||Azerbaijan||12 June||28 June||50||5,898||20||253||Russia (RUS)|
|II||2019||Minsk||Belarus||21 June||30 June||16|
The Games have been criticised for being an unnecessary addition to the sporting calendar and for the lack of high quality in totem events such as athletics and swimming. The first edition of the Games has received criticism from organisations such as Sport for Rights calling for athletes to speak out against human rights violations in Azerbaijan. Many regime opponents were jailed in the run-up to the Games.
The figures in each cell indicate the number of events for each sport contested at the respective Games.
- Olympic Games
- European Youth Olympic Festival
- Pan American Games
- Asian Games
- African Games
- World Games
- Pacific Games
- European Sports Championships
- Commonwealth Games
- "EOC LAUNCHES EUROPEAN GAMES". eurolympic.org. 8 December 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Although the Pacific Games takes in all of Oceania/Australasia, the two largest countries in the region, Australia and New Zealand, did not participate because of the danger they would, though their wealth and size relative to other members, excessively dominate the event. They were however provisionally admitted to the Games in 4 sports in which other nations were consistently competitive - rugby sevens, weightlifting, sailing and taekwondo - in 2014.
- "Baku 2015 at a glance". baku2015.org. 1 June 2015. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Scotland to host 2018 European Sports Championships
- "Baku reminds us our top athletes are overgrown infants". Guardian. Retrieved 14 June 2015.