European Graduate School
|Type||Graduate School; Private; Non-for-profit|
|President||Hubertus von Amelunxen|
|Dean||Margo Fuchs Knill (AHS), Stephen K. Levine (AHS), Christopher Fynsk (PACT)|
|Location||Leuk-Stadt, Switzerland (Administrative Office); Saas-Fee, Switzerland; Valletta, Malta|
The European Graduate School / EGS is a cross-disciplinary institution of higher education awarding Masters and Doctoral degrees within its two divisions: Arts, Health and Society (AHS), and Philosophy, Art and Critical Thought (PACT).
The Arts, Health, and Society Division was established in Saas-Fee, Switzerland in 1994. EGS has been compared to Black Mountain College, and referred to as the “White Mountain Graduate School”, in the past.
In 2015, the Media and Communications division was renamed the division of Philosophy, Art and Critical Thought (PACT).
The European Graduate School is a privately funded international graduate school founded by the non-profit European Foundation of Interdisciplinary Studies. It is governed by a presidential board that includes a representative of the Swiss Canton du Valais (FR) / Kanton Wallis (DE).
EGS is accredited by the State and Canton du Valais (FR) / Kanton Wallis (DE), and in 2015 became an EU accredited Institution of Higher Education, accredited by the National Commission for Further and Higher Education, Malta.
Division of Philosophy, Art & Critical Thought
The division of Philosophy, Art & Critical Thought focuses on socio-political, philosophical, and artistic inquiry.
Studies involve two years of coursework, including rigorous online writing requirements based on a structured reading list, and two three-week summer seminars in Switzerland, during which students are evaluated for their active participation in nine hours of seminars and lectures each day with visiting professors, philosophers, filmmakers, and artists and spend their final three years writing a thesis or dissertation, followed by a traditional oral defense.
There is an international summer school, the European Graduate School... What is interesting with this school is the selection of lecturers – there are well-known philosophers and artists from the whole world, including filmmakers Peter Greenaway and Volker Schlöndorff, theorists Donna Haraway and Sandy Stone, and philosophers Giorgio Agamben, Alain Badiou and I. We three are friends. We meet there each year, are engaged for three weeks.
Slavoj Žižek also described the rigor and prestige of EGS as an academic institution during an interview in 2006:
EGS is not only a place to create an interaction between students, but gives them freedom. Not freedom to do nothing, but precisely freedom to work in this creative inter-space. Also, the way the talks are done, we do very serious theoretical work here. I like how the school approaches me. You know, I had to be there for exams for the students so I thought how should I terrorize them, I told them: "You ask yourself a question and then you answer it". Ah, but you know, they didn’t have any excuses. They couldn’t have said: "Ah, sorry, I could not answer you." They had to be at their best. No excuses. We are challenged to do so. So, it’s wonderful to see how somebody like Badiou comes; it’s like work in progress that you can see. It’s really serious work. It’s enough mixing between students and professors as equals so that you can get real productive exchange, not just ritualistic questions, answers and so on. I think this is what accounts for the growing success of EGS. It’s simply a negative proof of the failure of today’s academia.
EGS has established curricular cooperation with:
- Beit Berl Academic College. Doar Beit Berl, (Israel)
- Clemson University, College of Architecture, Arts, Humanities. Clemson, South Carolina.
- 17, Instituto de Estudios Críticos. Mexico
- Internationale Hochschule für künstlerische Therapien und Kreativpädagogik, Calw, Germany.
Renowned faculty members and lecturers
- Jean Baudrillard, French Philosopher.
- Philippe Beck, French Poet and Theorist.
- Benjamin H. Bratton, American Theorist.
- Judith Butler, American Philosopher.
- Eduardo Cadava, American Philosopher.
- Simon Critchley, American Philosopher and Writer.
- Anne Dufourmantelle, French Psychoanalyst & Philosopher.
- Elie During, French Philosopher.
- Bracha L. Ettinger, Israeli Artist & Theorist.
- Peter Greenaway, British Filmmaker.
- Boris Groys, German Philosopher.
- Werner Hamacher, German Literary Critic.
- Michael Hardt, American Philosopher.
- Chris Kraus, American Writer.
- Sylvère Lotringer, French Cultural Theorist & Philosopher.
- Catherine Malabou, French Philosopher.
- Elissa Marder, American Philosopher.
- Carl Mitcham, American Philosopher.
- Jean-Luc Nancy, French Philosopher.
- Avital Ronell, American Philosopher.
- Volker Schlöndorff, German Filmmaker.
- Paul Virilio, French Cultural Theorist.
- Siegfried Zielinski, German Media Theorist & Philosopher.
- Slavoj Zizek, Slovenian Writer and Philosopher.
- Art history
- Continental philosophy
- Critical theory
- Film studies
- Frankfurt School
- Index of continental philosophy articles
- Media studies
- New media
- Phenomenology (philosophy)
Notes and references
- Atkins, Sally (2005). "Artists in Community: The Black Mountain College and the White Mountain Graduate School.". POIESES: A Journal of the Arts and Communications 7: 108–124.
- Canton Du Valais |Kanton Wallis Department of Education. Listing of universities and research institutions Accessed: May 5, 2010.
- Kanton Wallis. Präsidium des Staatsrates. Staatskanzlei. Auszug aus dem Protokoll der Sitzungen des Staatsrates. February 28, 2007.
- Art & Education Summer residencies 2015 Accessed: September 22, 2015
- Gregory, Derek. "The black flag: Guantánamo Bay and the space of exception": Geografiska Annaler. Series B: Human Geography. December 2006, Vol. 88 Issue 4, Pages: 405–427
- Kuhn, Albert. Interview mit einem schnellen Brüter. Die Weltwoche. No. 45/05, 2005
- (Press release) e-flux. Think Media: The Black Mountain College is back - in Switzerland! Gregory Ulmer. e-flux. International network of Visual Art Professionals. 2002
- Fedianina, Olga. 6. Juni 1950: Chantal Akerman. Jüdische Zeitung. Unabhängige Monatszeitung für zeitgenössisches Judentum. June 2006
- Haber, John. Chantal Akerman: Bordering on Fiction. Haber Arts.
- University of Buffalo.Bilingual reading by Pierre Alféri Accessed: August 4th, 2011
- Filmmaker Magazine Blog, The European Graduate School, by Scott Macaulay, March 2004
- Die Weltwoche 45/05, "Interview mit einem schnellen Brüter", by Albert Kuhn, 2005
- The European Graduate School, Slavoj Žižek, 2006
- Beit Berl College. The School of Multi-Disciplinary Studies at Beit Berl College and EGS. Beit Berl College. Accessed: 30 October 2007.
- Victor J. Vitanza. Ph.D. in Rhetorics, Communication, and Information Design. Program Handbook (2007–08) Study Abroad. Clemson University. College of Architecture, Arts, Humanities. 2007/2008
- Maestría en Teoría Crítica. 17, Instituto de Estudios Críticos.
- Internationale Hochschule Calw. Staatlich anerkannte Fachhochschule für Kreativpädagogik und künstlerische Therapien. Kooperationspartner Juli 4, 2007
- Redhead, Steve. We Have Never Been Post-Modern: Edinburgh University Press, 2011.
- Centre Atlantique de Philosophie Philippe Beck à l’European Graduate School Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- MIT Press About the Author: Benjamin H. Bratton Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- University of St. Andrews Judith Butler: Maxine Elliot Professor of Comparative Literature, UC Berkeley: Author, feminist, philosopher Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- The New School for Social Research PSWIP Colloquium with Judith Butler Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Pulse Press Release from Free Kashmiri Political Prisoners Campaign Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Princeton University: Dept of English Eduardo Cadava: Professor Biography Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- The New School for Social Research News Critchley, professor at the European Graduate School Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- University of Gothenburg: Parse Journal Simon Critchley, professor at the European Graduate School Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Verso Books London Review Bookshop Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Los Angeles Review of Books About the author: Simon Critchley Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- New York University: Comparative Literature Poetics & Theory Lecture Series: Anne Dufourmantelle "On Fear(s)" Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Philosophie Française contemporaine Elie During, Professor, European Graduate School (EGS) since 2013 Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- Birkbeck University Studies in the Maternal Accessed: 22 September 2015
- Film Stockholm Festival Greenaway Receives Stockholm Visionary Award 2013: Peter Greenaway, Professor in Film Studies at The European Graduate School in Switzerland Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- Artists Space This Is Cosmos - Anton Vidokle, with Boris Groys: Screening & Conversation Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- From Kapital to Capital: An Event of the Final Decade of Yugoslavia About the participants: Boris Groys Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Harvard University Book Series, Prizes, and Awards Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- New York University: Comparative Literature  Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- MIT Press The MIT Press: About the Author Accessed: 22 September 2015
- Mack Lecture: Sylvère Lotringer on Antonin Artaud About the Speaker: Sylvère Lotringer Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- The Bodies in Movement Seminar Series: Catherine Malabou The Bodies in Movement: Catherine Malabou Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Princeton University Press Contributers: Catherine Malabou Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Rutgers University Knock Knock: Femininity, Fixation, Photography Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Center for Science & Technology Policy Research About Carl Mitcham: Adjunct Professor, European Graduate School, Saas Fee, Switzerland Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- AcademHack Nancy’s Response to the SUNY Albany Affair Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- Brown University Jean-Luc Nancy, Professor of Political Philosophy and Media Aesthetics at the European Graduate School Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- University of Aberdeen: Centre for Modern Thought Unpacking Derrida's Library: Secrets of the Archive Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Society of Audiovisual Authors Board of Patrons: Volker Schlöndorff teaches film and literature at the European Graduate School in Switzerland. Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- International Short Film Festival Oberhausen About: Siegfried Zielinski Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Columbia University Press About the Author Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- The Guardian Q&A with Slavoj Žižek, professor and writer Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Slavoj Zizek, professor at the European Graduate School Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Adbusters Philosophy at Zero Point Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Columbia University Press About the Author: Slavoj Žižek, professor at the European Graduate School Accessed: 1 October 2015.