European Graduate School
|Type||Graduate School; Private; Not-for-profit|
|Founders||Paolo Knill, Wolfgang Schirmacher|
|The European Graduate School Foundation |
|President||Hubertus von Amelunxen|
|Dean||Margo Fuchs Knill (AHS), Stephen K. Levine (AHS), Christopher Fynsk (PACT)|
|Location||Leuk, Switzerland (Administrative Office); Saas-Fee, Switzerland; Valletta, Malta|
The European Graduate School (EGS) is a cross-disciplinary institution of higher education awarding Masters and Doctoral degrees within its two divisions: Arts, Health and Society (AHS), and Philosophy, Art and Critical Thought (PACT). Founded in Switzerland, the School operates on two locations: Saas-Fee, Switzerland, and Valletta, Malta.
The EGS is a privately funded international graduate school founded by the non-profit European Foundation of Interdisciplinary Studies. EGS is not recognized by the Swiss University Conference, the main regulatory body for universities in Switzerland.
The European Graduate School was founded in 1994 in Saas-Fee, Switzerland by the Swiss scientist, artist, and therapist, Paolo Knill. The school initially offered programs in Expressive Arts Therapy, as a part of a broader initiative to develop a network of training institutes in Expressive Arts Therapy.
Arts, Health, and Society division
- Master of Arts in Expressive Arts Therapy with a Minor in Psychology
- Master of Arts in Expressive Arts Coaching and Consulting with the option of a concentration in Education or Special Education
- Master of Arts in Expressive Arts Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding
- Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (mandatory part of qualification for doctoral studies or alone as a continuing education certificate[self-published source]
- PhD in "Expressive Arts Therapy"
Philosophy, Art & Critical Thought division
- Master of Arts and PhD in Philosophy, Art, and Social Thought
- Master of Arts and PhD in Literary, Musical, and Visual Thought [self-published source]
Three to six-day courses on socio-political, philosophical, and artistic inquiry are offered during the summer on campus. Students remain in contact with the university either via the internet or through meetings in “decentralized organization of the university arranged in cities where a significant number of EGS students live".
Notable visiting faculty members
Notable alumni and attendees
EGS is licensed as a university in Malta and is recognized in the Swiss canton where it operates, but is not recognized by the Swiss University Conference, the main regulatory body for universities in Switzerland. In the US, the State of Texas includes the European Graduate School on its published list of institutions that issue "fraudulent or substandard degrees" and notes that it is illegal to use an EGS degree to obtain employment within the state.
Notes and references
- "EGS European Graduate School Foundation - Saas-Fee". Moneyhouse.ch. Retrieved 2017-07-01.
- Atkins, Sally (2005). "Artists in Community: The Black Mountain College and the White Mountain Graduate School". POIESES: A Journal of the Arts and Communications. 7: 108–124.
- "swissuniversities". Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Zurbriggen, Andreas (2015-08-19). "Universitätsstadt Saas-Fee" [University Town Saas-Fee]. Walliser Bote (in German).
- Levine, Ellen; Levine, Stephen K.; Knill, Paolo, eds. (2005). Principles and Practice of Expressive Arts Therapy. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers. p. 256. ISBN 1 84642 032 6.
- Levine, Ellen; Levine, Stephen K., eds. (1999). Foundations of Expressive Arts Therapy: Theoretical and Clinical Perspectives. London. pp. 9–10. ISBN 1 85302 463 5.
- "IEATA Educational Resources". Archived from the original on 2016-11-18.
- "AHS CAGS". Archived from the original on 2017-02-28.
- Dalli, Miriam (2015-06-22). "Swiss grad school seeks university status in Malta". Malta Today. Malta. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "EGS PACT programs". Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- Art & Education Summer residencies 2015 Accessed: September 22, 2015
- Zurbriggen, Andreas (2015-08-19). "Universitätsstadt Saas Fee" [University Town Saas Fee]. Walliser Bote (in German).
Der Kontakt wird dabei online hergestellt oder bei Fakultätstreffen in sogenannten «Hubs» – dezentralen Einrichtungen der Universität, die in Städten aufgebaut werden, wo besonders viele EGS- Studenten leben[...]
- Kuhn, Albert (2005). "Interview mit einem schellen Brüter" [Interview with a speedy Breeder]. LEARNing Landscapes (in German). 45. Archived from the original on 2017-01-21.
oder die Philosophen Giorgio Agamben, Alain Badiou und ich. Wir drei sind befreundet. Wir treffen uns dort jedes Jahr, sind engagiert für drei Wochen [...]
- Haber, John. Chantal Akerman: Bordering on Fiction. Haber Arts.
- University of Buffalo.Bilingual reading by Pierre Alféri Accessed: August 4th, 2011
- "USCS Alumni placement". Archived from the original on 2017-03-21. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- Wappler, Margaret (2013-11-26). "Fifteen suppositions from John Maus on art, music, blowing up cities on film and Ariel Pink". Archived from the original on 2017-03-21. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- Tsoler, Tekeyan (2013-11-26). "Documentary Filmmaking and Social Change". The Link. Archived from the original on 2017-03-21. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "Bruce Barber at NSCAD". Archived from the original on 2017-03-21. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "List of Licensed Institutions and Accredited Courses > Universities". Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Canton du Valais Formation et recherche universitaires Page accessed April 7, 2016
- "Institutions Whose Degrees are Illegal to Use in Texas". Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Retrieved 18 February 2016.