European Graduate School
|This article is currently protected from editing due to vandalism.
This protection is not an endorsement of the current version. See the protection policy and protection log for more details. Please discuss any changes on the talk page; you may to ask an administrator to make an edit if it is uncontroversial or supported by consensus. You may also request that this page be unprotected.
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: This article provides very little encyclopedia-quality information about the institution described or the programs offered to students. Portions of the article also read like promotional literature for the school (October 2015)|
|Type||Graduate School; Private; Non-for-profit|
|Founder||Paolo J. Knill, Wolfgang Schirmacher|
|President||Hubertus von Amelunxen|
|Dean||Margo Fuchs Knill (AHS), Stephen K. Levine (AHS), Christopher Fynsk (PACT)|
|Location||Leuk-Stadt, Switzerland (Administrative Office); Saas-Fee, Switzerland; Valletta, Malta|
The European Graduate School / EGS is a cross-disciplinary institution of higher education awarding Masters and Doctoral degrees within its two divisions: Arts, Health and Society (AHS), and Philosophy, Art and Critical Thought (PACT).
The Arts, Health, and Society Division was established in Saas-Fee, Switzerland in 1994. EGS has been compared to Black Mountain College, and referred to as the "White Mountain Graduate School", in the past.
In 2015, the Media and Communications division was renamed the division of Philosophy, Art and Critical Thought (PACT).
The European Graduate School is a privately funded international graduate school founded by the non-profit European Foundation of Interdisciplinary Studies. It is governed by a presidential board that includes a representative of the Swiss Canton du Valais (FR) / Kanton Wallis (DE).
Accreditation in the United States
The EGS lacks academic accreditation from an accrediting agency that is recognized by the U.S. Council for Higher Education Accreditation. As a result, degrees from the EGS are not currently recognized by many state education authorities in the United States. The State of Texas currently includes the university on its published list of institutions that issue "fraudulent or substandard degrees" and notes that it is illegal to use an EGS degree to "obtain employment" within the state. The State of Maine includes the EGS on its list of "Non-Accredited Colleges and Degree Mills."  The State of Michigan Civil Service Commission states that degrees from the EGS "will not be accepted...to satisfy educational requirements indicated on job specifications."
Division of Philosophy, Art & Critical Thought
The division of Philosophy, Art & Critical Thought focuses on socio-political, philosophical, and artistic inquiry. Faculty and guest lecturers give three- to six-day courses during four-week summer seminars. Visiting faculty have included Giorgio Agamben, Chantal Akerman, and Pierre Alféri.
Studies involve two years of coursework, including rigorous online writing requirements based on a structured reading list, and two three-week summer seminars in Switzerland, during which students are evaluated for their active participation in nine hours of seminars and lectures each day with visiting professors, philosophers, filmmakers, and artists and spend their final three years writing a thesis or dissertation, followed by a traditional oral defense.
EGS has established curricular cooperation with:
- Beit Berl Academic College. Doar Beit Berl, (Israel)
- Clemson University, College of Architecture, Arts, Humanities. Clemson, South Carolina.
- 17, Instituto de Estudios Críticos. Mexico
- Internationale Hochschule für künstlerische Therapien und Kreativpädagogik, Calw, Germany.
Notable faculty members and lecturers
- Jean Baudrillard, French Philosopher.
- Philippe Beck, French Poet and Theorist.
- Benjamin H. Bratton, American Theorist.
- Judith Butler, American Philosopher.
- Simon Critchley, American Philosopher and Writer.
- Bracha L. Ettinger, Israeli Artist & Theorist.
- Peter Greenaway, British Filmmaker.
- Boris Groys, German Philosopher.
- Werner Hamacher, German Literary Critic.
- Michael Hardt, American Philosopher.
- Sylvère Lotringer, French Cultural Theorist & Philosopher.
- Catherine Malabou, French Philosopher.
- Carl Mitcham, American Philosopher.
- Jean-Luc Nancy, French Philosopher.
- Volker Schlöndorff, German Filmmaker.
- Paul Virilio, French Cultural Theorist.
- Siegfried Zielinski, German Media Theorist & Philosopher.
- Slavoj Zizek, Slovenian Writer and Philosopher.
Notes and references
- Atkins, Sally (2005). "Artists in Community: The Black Mountain College and the White Mountain Graduate School.". POIESES: A Journal of the Arts and Communications 7: 108–124.
- Canton Du Valais |Kanton Wallis Department of Education. Listing of universities and research institutions Accessed: May 5, 2010.
- Art & Education Summer residencies 2015 Accessed: September 22, 2015
- Gregory, Derek. "The black flag: Guantánamo Bay and the space of exception": Geografiska Annaler. Series B: Human Geography. December 2006, Vol. 88 Issue 4, Pages: 405–427
- Kuhn, Albert. Interview mit einem schnellen Brüter. Die Weltwoche. No. 45/05, 2005
- (Press release) e-flux. Think Media: The Black Mountain College is back - in Switzerland! Gregory Ulmer. e-flux. International network of Visual Art Professionals. 2002
- Fedianina, Olga. 6. Juni 1950: Chantal Akerman. Jüdische Zeitung. Unabhängige Monatszeitung für zeitgenössisches Judentum. June 2006
- Haber, John. Chantal Akerman: Bordering on Fiction. Haber Arts.
- University of Buffalo.Bilingual reading by Pierre Alféri Accessed: August 4th, 2011
- Filmmaker Magazine Blog, The European Graduate School, by Scott Macaulay, March 2004
- Beit Berl College. The School of Multi-Disciplinary Studies at Beit Berl College and EGS. Beit Berl College. Accessed: 30 October 2007.
- Victor J. Vitanza. Ph.D. in Rhetorics, Communication, and Information Design. Program Handbook (2007–08) Study Abroad. Clemson University. College of Architecture, Arts, Humanities. 2007/2008
- Maestría en Teoría Crítica. 17, Instituto de Estudios Críticos.
- Internationale Hochschule Calw. Staatlich anerkannte Fachhochschule für Kreativpädagogik und künstlerische Therapien. Kooperationspartner Juli 4, 2007
- Redhead, Steve. We Have Never Been Post-Modern: Edinburgh University Press, 2011.
- Centre Atlantique de Philosophie Philippe Beck à l’European Graduate School Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- MIT Press About the Author: Benjamin H. Bratton Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- University of St. Andrews Judith Butler: Maxine Elliot Professor of Comparative Literature, UC Berkeley: Author, feminist, philosopher Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- The New School for Social Research PSWIP Colloquium with Judith Butler Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Pulse Press Release from Free Kashmiri Political Prisoners Campaign Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- The New School for Social Research News Critchley, professor at the European Graduate School Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- University of Gothenburg: Parse Journal Simon Critchley, professor at the European Graduate School Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Verso Books London Review Bookshop Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Los Angeles Review of Books About the author: Simon Critchley Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Birkbeck University Studies in the Maternal Accessed: 22 September 2015
- Film Stockholm Festival Greenaway Receives Stockholm Visionary Award 2013: Peter Greenaway, Professor in Film Studies at The European Graduate School in Switzerland Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- Artists Space This Is Cosmos - Anton Vidokle, with Boris Groys: Screening & Conversation Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- From Kapital to Capital: An Event of the Final Decade of Yugoslavia About the participants: Boris Groys Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Harvard University Book Series, Prizes, and Awards Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- New York University: Comparative Literature  Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Mack Lecture: Sylvère Lotringer on Antonin Artaud About the Speaker: Sylvère Lotringer Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- The Bodies in Movement Seminar Series: Catherine Malabou The Bodies in Movement: Catherine Malabou Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Princeton University Press Contributers: Catherine Malabou Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Center for Science & Technology Policy Research About Carl Mitcham: Adjunct Professor, European Graduate School, Saas Fee, Switzerland Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- AcademHack Nancy’s Response to the SUNY Albany Affair Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- Brown University Jean-Luc Nancy, Professor of Political Philosophy and Media Aesthetics at the European Graduate School Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- Society of Audiovisual Authors Board of Patrons: Volker Schlöndorff teaches film and literature at the European Graduate School in Switzerland. Accessed: 1 October 2015.
- International Short Film Festival Oberhausen About: Siegfried Zielinski Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Columbia University Press About the Author Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- The Guardian Q&A with Slavoj Žižek, professor and writer Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Slavoj Zizek, professor at the European Graduate School Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Adbusters Philosophy at Zero Point Accessed: 22 September 2015.
- Columbia University Press About the Author: Slavoj Žižek, professor at the European Graduate School Accessed: 1 October 2015.