European Gravitational Observatory
The European Gravitational Observatory or EGO is located in the countryside near Pisa, in the hamlet of Santo Stefano a Macerata in the comune of Cascina. In order to ensure the long term scientific exploitation of the Virgo interferometric antenna for gravitational waves detection as well as to foster European collaboration in this upcoming field, the Virgo funding institutions (CNRS for France and INFN for Italy) have created a consortium called EGO (European Gravitational Observatory).
Virgo is a 3 kilometer interferometer built through an Italian-French collaboration, later extended to include the Netherlands, Poland, Hungary and Spain. The collaboration involves 11 laboratories in the member countries and more than 150 scientists.
EGO is established under Italian law. Its governing body is the Council composed of six members nominated by the funding institutions. The Council appoints a Director who is the legal representative and chief executive of EGO. The Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee advises the Council on scientific and technical activities carried out by the Consortium. It is composed of up to ten scientific personalities.
EGO pursues these main objectives:
- ensure the commissioning of the antenna for gravitational waves Virgo, its operation, maintenance and upgrades;
- create and run a computing center for the analysis of data;
- ensure the maintenance of the site and the related infrastructures;
- promote R&D useful for the detection of gravitational waves;
- carry out any other research in the field of gravitation of common interest to the Members;
- promote co-operation in the field of the experimental and theoretical gravitational waves research in Europe;
- promote contacts among scientists and engineers, the dissemination of information and the advanced training of young researchers.
- Annali di geofisica - Volume 51, Issues 4-6 - Page 877 2008 The EGO site houses the VIRGO interferometric antenna for gravitational waves detection. The microgravity survey aims ... VIRGO is located within the site of consortium EGO, European Gravitational Observatory
|This article about a specific observatory, telescope or astronomical instrument is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|