European League of Stuttering Associations
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The European League of Stuttering Associations (ELSA) was set up in 1990 by organisations in 12 countries to promote a greater knowledge and understanding of stuttering and to bring together, as a top umbrella organisation, the national stuttering self-help organisations of Europe.
ELSA is a trans-national, cross-cultural organisation. It seeks resources only open to multi-national groups, extends the exchange-of-information network, and lobbies for stutterers at a prominent international level.
Its main roles are:
- to link together and further the co-operation of Europe's national organisations.
- to provide a forum for exchange of concepts and experiences in stuttering therapy and self-help.
- to help represent the interests of stutterers to European and international bodies.
- to put stuttering onto the European agenda to ensure that the needs and challenges faced by people who stutter are considered in a European context.
ELSA's work has been recognised by the International Labour Office in Geneva, the World Health Organisation in Geneva and the United Nations Office in Vienna. ELSA is also a founding member of the European Disability Forum, an umbrella disability organisation based in Brussels.
International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD)
Together with the International Fluency Association and the International Stuttering Association, the International Stuttering Association celebrates, every 22 October, International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD) which includes an online conference on stuttering and a media campaign.
- "Honours for England: The North East". BBC News. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- Edwin Farr (1 August 2003). "International and European Disability Policy relating to Stuttering - What People who Stutter need to know and why". Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "About ELSA". European League of Stuttering Associations. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "One Voice" (PDF). One Voice. International Stuttering Association (32). August 2012.
- "One Voice Newsletter". International Stuttering Association. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "UWE academic takes part in online stuttering conference". University of the West of England, Bristol. 25 September 2007. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Nosením zelenej stužky sa dá vyjadriť pochopenie pre koktavých ("Wearing green ribbons can express sympathy for stuttering")". Topky. Bratislava. 20 October 2012. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD): October 22". International Stuttering Association. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- British Stammering Association
- The Indian Stammering Association
- International Stuttering Association
- Israel Stuttering Association (AMBI)
|This linguistics article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|