European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party Group
|Group of the European Liberal, Democrat and Reform Party|
|European Parliament group|
|Name||European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party|
|English abbr.||ELDR (1994–2004)|
|Formal name||Group of the European Liberal, Democrat and Reform Party |
(19 July 1994 to 20 July 2004)
Liberal and Democratic Reformist Group (13 December 1985 to 18 July 1994)
Liberal and Democratic Group
(1976 to 12 December 1985)
Liberals and Allies Group
(23 June 1953 to 1976)
|European parties||European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party|
|From||23 June 1953|
|To||20 July 2004|
|Preceded by||new establishment|
|Succeeded by||Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe|
The Group of the European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party (French: Groupe du parti européen des libéraux, démocrates et réformateurs, ELDR) was a liberal political group in the European Parliament between 1976 and 2004. The group comprised the European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party and its constituent national-level parties, variously of liberal, centrist and agrarian orientation.
Its predecessors have existed since 23 June 1953, then under the name of Liberals and Allies Group. In 1976, the name was changed to Liberal and Democratic Group (LD), and on 13 December 1985 to Liberal and Democratic Reformist Group (LDR). The addition of "Reformist" was a concession to the Social Democratic Party of Portugal, which did not identify as a liberal party.
The ELDR group partnered with the European People's Party – European Democrats (EPP-ED) to form the majority-forming coalition for the 5th Parliament, during which time it elected its sole President of the European Parliament, Pat Cox during the second half of the term.
- 1979-1984: Martin Bangemann, Germany (FDP)
- 1984-1989: Simone Veil, France (UDF)
- 1989-1991: Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, France (UDF-PR)
- 1992-1994: Yves Galland, France (UDF-Rad)
- 1994-1998: Gijs de Vries, Netherlands (VVD)
- 1998-2002: Pat Cox, Ireland (independent)
- 2001-2004: Graham Watson, United Kingdom (LibDem)
Presidents of the European Parliament from the Liberal Groups
- 1962-1964: Gaetano Martino, Italy (PLI)
- 1973-1975: Cornelis Berkhouwer, Netherlands (VVD)
- 1979-1981: Simone Veil, France (UDF)
- 2002-2004: Pat Cox, Ireland (independent)
- Lori Thorlakson (2013). "Federalism and the European party system". In Alexander H. Trechsel (ed.). Towards a Federal Europe. Taylor & Francis. p. 72. ISBN 978-1-317-99818-1.
- Matthew Gabel; Simon Hix (2004). "Defining the EU political space: an empirical study of European election manifestos 1979–1999". In Gary Marks; Marco R. Steenbergen (eds.). European Integration and Political Conflict. Cambridge University Press. p. 96. ISBN 978-0-521-53505-2.
- Michael Steed; Peter Humphreys (1988), "Identifying liberal parties", Liberal Parties in Western Europe, Cambridge University Press, p. 432
- Jean-Pierre Hombach. The Secret About Acta. Lulu.com. p. 217. ISBN 978-1-4716-3083-5.
- Tapio Raunio (2017). "European parties: a powerful caucus in the European Parliament and beyond". In John Peterson; Dermot Hodson (eds.). Institutions of the European Union 4th ed. Oxford University Press. p. 360. ISBN 978-0-19-873741-4.