European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party (European Parliament group)
|Group of the European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party|
|European parliamentary group|
|Name||European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party|
|English abbr.||ELDR (1994-2004)
|Formal name||Group of the European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party
(19 July 1994 to 20 July 2004)
Liberal and Democratic Reformist Group (13 December 1985 to 18 July 1994)
Liberal and Democratic Group
(1976 to 12 December 1985)
Liberals and Allies Group
(23 June 1953 to 1976)
|European parties||European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party|
|From||23 June 1953|
|To||20 July 2004|
|Preceded by||new establishment|
|Succeeded by||Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe|
The Group of the European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party (French: Groupe du parti européen des libéraux, démocrates et réformateurs, ELDR) was a liberal political group in the European Parliament between 1976 and 2004. The group comprised the European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party and its constituent national-level parties.
Its predecessors have existed since 23 June 1953, then under the name of Liberals and Allies Group. In 1976, the name was changed to Liberal and Democratic Group (LD), and on 13 December 1985 to Liberal and Democratic Reformist Group (LDR). The addition of "Reformist" was a concession to the Social Democratic Party of Portugal, which did not identify itself as a liberal party.
The ELDR group partnered with the European People's Party – European Democrats (EPP-ED) to form the majority-forming coalition for the 5th Parliament, during which time it elected its sole President of the European Parliament, Pat Cox during the second half of the term.
- 1979-1984: Martin Bangemann, Germany (FDP)
- 1984-1989: Simone Veil, France (UDF)
- 1989-1991: Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, France (UDF-PR)
- 1992-1994: Yves Galland, France (UDF-Rad)
- 1994-1998: Gijs de Vries, Netherlands (VVD)
- 1998-2002: Pat Cox, Ireland (independent)
- 2001-2004: Graham Watson, United Kingdom (Lib Dem)
Presidents of the European Parliament from the Liberal Groups
- 1962-1964: Gaetano Martino, Italy (PLI)
- 1973-1975: Cornelis Berkhouwer, Netherlands (VVD)
- 1979-1981: Simone Veil, France (UDF)
- 2002-2004: Pat Cox, Ireland (independent)
- Alexander H. Trechsel (2013). Towards a Federal Europe. Taylor & Francis. p. 72. ISBN 978-1-317-99818-1.
- Steed, Michael; Humphreys, Peter (1988), "Identifying liberal parties", Liberal Parties in Western Europe, Cambridge University Press, p. 432
- Jean-Pierre Hombach. The Secret About Acta. Lulu.com. p. 217. ISBN 978-1-4716-3083-5.
- David Phinnemore; Lee McGowan (2013). A Dictionary of the European Union. Routledge. p. 278. ISBN 978-1-135-08127-0. Retrieved 7 August 2013.