European Patent Register
The European Patent Register, also known as the Register of European Patents, is a public register kept by the European Patent Office (EPO). It contains legal information relating to published European patent applications and European patents granted under the European Patent Convention (EPC). The register notably provides the current legal status of European patent applications and patents, such as for instance "whether a patent application has been published, whether a patent has been granted, what the outcome of opposition proceedings was or whether a patent has been revoked".
The register does not, however, contain information regarding what happens to a European patent at the national level (especially after grant, when the European patent becomes effectively a bundle of national patents in the member states of the European Patent Organisation). Since October 2011 however, its records include deep links to the corresponding records of the European patents' "national parts" in about twenty national registers (as of December 2012). The so-called Global Dossier is also available via the European Patent Register.
The European Patent Office is the only body that can perform legally effective publication and registration of European patent applications and patents. It regularly issues warnings about scams by firms and individuals that invite applicants to register patents in unofficial registers or publications. Such registration services are a well known scam in intellectual property.
- Article 127 EPC 1973
- "Status identifiers: what are they and what purpose do they serve?" (PDF). Patent Information News. European Patent Office. 2016 (2): 8. June 2016. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- Welcome to the club, Germany!, Patent Information News issue 4/2012, December 2012, p. 2.
- "Global dossier available in Espacenet". EPO. 24 October 2014. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- EPO web site, Warning: Beware of approaches and requests for payment from firms purporting to register European patents Archived July 25, 2008, at the Wayback Machine., 29 June 2006
- European Patent Register at the European Patent Office
- Legal basis
|This article relating to the law of Europe or of a European country is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|