European School of Management and Technology
|Type||Private business school|
|Chancellor||Prof. Jörg Rocholl, PhD (President) |
|37 members from 19 nations (as of December 2016) |
|Address||Schlossplatz 1, 10178 Berlin, Germany, Berlin, Germany|
ESMT Berlin is an international non-profit business school based in Berlin with an additional location in Schloss Gracht near Cologne. The school was founded by 25 global companies and institutions including Bosch, KPMG, Siemens and T-Mobile among others. ESMT Berlin offers a Master´s in Management, a Full-time MBA, an Executive MBA as well as executive education in the form of open enrollment and customized programs.
ESMT Berlin is one of four business schools in Germany having the coveted Triple accreditation.
- 1 Programs
- 2 Accreditations
- 3 Rankings
- 4 Campus Locations
- 5 Organisational Structure
- 6 References
- 7 External links
ESMT Berlin offers a Master's in Management, a Full-time MBA, an Executive MBA, and executive education.
Master's in Management (MIM)
In September 2014 the new international Master's in Management program was launched at ESMT Berlin. The program targets young graduates with advanced quantitative skills who want to develop their knowledge of business and the management of technology. The 2-year consecutive program will focus on analytics, general management, and innovation in an international environment. It includes an internship, foreign language courses, career services and a 2-month Social Impact Project. The tuition for the entire program, taught in English, is 25,000 Euro. ESMT Berlin offers a number of merit-based scholarships.
Full-time MBA (MBA)
The ESMT Berlin Full-time MBA program is a one-year program starting in January each year. The ESMT Berlin Full-time MBA Class of 2017 is made up of 64 participants representing 32 nationalities.
ESMT Berlin offers a number of merit-based scholarships.
The one-year Full-time MBA consists of two phases. During the first seven months, the focus lies on management competences, while leadership challenges are tackled during the following five months. Classes are held exclusively in English. The partner companies are actively involved in the know-how exchange, and real-life projects enrich the MBA program. Each student has a company mentor who supports the student’s personal development. The tuition for the 2018 program is 43,500 Euro.
Executive MBA (EMBA)
The ESMT Berlin Executive MBA started in autumn 2007. The part-time, modular program runs for 18 months, and graduates are awarded the degree of Master of Business Administration. The program is held in English. It focuses on international management and technology & innovation.
The EMBA is made up of residential modules and web-enabled study. During the entire program, participants meet at one of the ESMT Berlin Campuses and at other locations. The program also includes one international field seminar. The tuition for the entire program is 57,500 Euro.
Admission requirements for all programs include an undergraduate degree, several years of practical work experience for the MBA as well as management experience for the EMBA There is no previous work experience required for the MIM program. Depending on the degree and the applicant’s background, a GMAT result has to be submitted. The final step of the admissions process is an interview online or in person.
Executive Development Programs (EDP)
ESMT Berlin currently offers numerous executive development programs in English and in German. The portfolio ranges from short programs taking 2–5 days and longer programs which are held in several modules. The programs cover topics such as strategy, managing technology, finance, decision making, negotiations, leadership, and change management.
Customized Solutions (CS)
ESMT Berlin CS offers tailor-made programs to companies. Program modules are prepared in advance together with company representatives. Lecturers are specialized on various industries: Consumer Goods and Retail, Financial Services, Information and Communications Technologies, Technology Based Industries, and Telecommunications, Transport and Utilities.
Postgraduate Diploma in Management (PGD)
The Postgraduate Diploma in Management is a new university-level certificate offered by ESMT Berlin to participants of both the Executive Development and Customized Programs. To acquire this diploma, candidates must enroll for a minimum of three program weeks (18 days) spread over a period of 30 months.
ESMT Berlin is accredited by Association of MBAs (AMBA), Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) and Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation (FIBAA). It is the one of two business schools in Germany having the coveted Triple accreditation.
In December 2013 ESMT Berlin received the right to award PhDs from Berlin for the length of five years. At the same time, Berlin has extended the international business school’s status as a state recognized institution of higher education in Germany for another ten years, the longest possible period.
The school's headquarters and main campus is located in the former GDR Staatsratsgebäude in Berlin next to the Federal Foreign Office and opposite of the UNESCO world cultural heritage Museum Island. Constructed in 1960s’ socialist architectural style to host the Staatsrat (National Council) of the GDR, it represented the supreme institution of the East German state governance.
The transformation of the Staatsratgebäude into a modern learning institution started in 2004 and was completed at the end of 2005. The renovation was supervised by the German architect HG Merz. The main foyer is accessible to the public, and ESMT Berlin offers guided tours on the last Friday of each month.
The school's Cologne campus Schloss Gracht is a historic site where the Metternich family lived for centuries. Since 1968 the USW Netzwerk offers executive education in the castle of Gracht and its adjacent guest house. In 2004 the USW Netzwerk was integrated into the ESMT Berlin. Actually on the Campus are the German programs of ESMT Berlin.
ESMT Foundation Board of Trustees
- Chairman: Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management, Daimler
- Vice Chairman: Jürgen Fitschen, Senior Advisor (Former CEO), Deutsche Bank AG
Additional members of Board of Trustees:
- Franz Fehrenbach, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Robert Bosch GmbH
- Dr. Heinrich Hiesinger, Chairman of the Board of Management, thyssenkrupp AG
- Joe Kaeser, President and Chief Executive Officer, Siemens AG
- Peter Terium, Chief Executive Officer of the Executive Board, RWE AG
Executive Management Committee
- Chairman: Prof. Jörg Rocholl, PhD, President and Managing Director, ESMT Berlin
- Prof. Zoltán Antal-Mokos, PhD, Dean of Degree Programs, ESMT Berlin
- Nick Barniville, Associate Dean, Degree Programs, ESMT Berlin
- Christoph Burger, Senior Associate Dean of Executive Education, ESMT Berlin
- Georg Garlichs, Chief Financial Officer and Managing Director, ESMT Berlin
- Prof. Dr. Olaf Plötner, Dean of Executive Education, ESMT Berlin
- Prof. Catalina Stefanescu-Cuntze, PhD, Dean of Faculty, ESMT Berlin
- Valentina Werner, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, ESMT Berlin
Supervisory Board of ESMT GmbH
- Chairman: Dr. Werner Zedelius, Member of the Board of Management, Allianz SE 
- Milagros Caiña-Andree, Member of the Board of Management, BMW AG
- Lutz Diederichs, Member of Management Board, HypoVereinsbank – UniCredit Bank AG
- Dr. Andreas Dombret, Board Member, Deutsche Bundesbank
- Dr. Joachim Faber, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Deutsche Börse AG
- Melanie Kreis, Board Member for Human Resources and Labor Director, Deutsche Post DHL Group
- Wilfried Porth, Member of the Board of Management, Daimler AG
- Airbus Group
- Allianz SE
- Axel Springer AG
- Bayer AG
- Bayerische Hypo- und Vereinsbank AG
- Bayerische Motoren Werke AG
- Confederation of German Employers' Associations (Bundesvereinigung der Deutschen Arbeitgeberverbände, BDA) e.V.
- Daimler AG
- Deutsche Bank AG
- Deutsche Lufthansa AG
- Deutsche Post AG
- Deutsche Telekom AG
- E.ON AG
- Federation of German Industries (Bundesverband der Deutschen Industrie, BDI) e.V.
- GAZPROM Germania GmbH
- KPMG AG Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaft
- MAN SE
- McKinsey & Company, Inc.
- Münchener Rückversicherungs-Gesellschaft AG
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- RWE AG
- SAP SE
- Siemens AG
- The Boston Consulting Group
- thyssenkrupp AG
- "ESMT: International Business School with Strong Corporate Support". ESMT.
- "Jorg Rocholl". Bruegel.
- "ESMT Berlin". Mastersportal.
- "European School of Management and Technology". The complete university guide.
- "ESMT Berlin Mastersportal". Masters portal.
- Association of MBAs (2013-11-24). "AMBA - Association of MBAs". Mbaworld.com. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- "eNEWSLINE | Business Schools Earn and Maintain AACSB Accreditation". Aacsb.edu. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- "Startseite - Fibaa - The Quality Seal In Higher Education". FIBAA. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- "European School of Management and Technology seminarmarkt". Seminar Markt.
- European School of Management and Technology. "Governing bodies". ESMT Berlin. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- Dr. Werner Zedelius succeeds Prof. Clemens Börsig as chairman of the ESMT Berlin Supervisory Board
- "ESMT Berlin - Master´s in Management". Mim-compass.
Media related to European School of Management and Technology at Wikimedia Commons