European Union Military Committee
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The European Union Military Committee (EUMC) is a department of military officials under the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and the Political and Security Committee (PSC) of the European Union's Common Foreign and Security Policy. The EUMC gives military advice to the PSC and the High Representative. It also oversees the European Union Military Staff.
The EUMC was formally established in December 2000 by the European Council of Nice, and is one of several defence and security-related bodies established as a result of the Helsinki Headline Goal, which was decided in December 1999. EUMC is composed of the Chiefs of Defence of the EU Member States who are represented on a regular basis by their permanent military representatives in Brussels, who often are two- or three-star flag officers. A similar committee also exists within NATO, and those countries which are members of both EU and NATO have in most cases chosen to use the same person as permanent military representative to both organisations.
The EUMC is chaired by a General Officer, Admiral, or Air Officer of four-star level (i.e. NATO OF-9 equivalent) who is selected by the Chiefs of Defence and appointed by the Council of the European Union. For a term of three years the Chairman is the spokesperson for the EUMC, he participates in PSC meetings as appropriate, he is the military adviser to the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy (HR) who heads the EEAS European External Action Service, he represents the primary point of contact with the Operation Commanders of the EU's military operations and he attends Council meetings with defence and security implications.
The previous chairman was General Patrick de Rousiers, who was appointed for a term lasting until November 6, 2015. On 14 November 2014, General Michail Kostarakos, Chief of the Hellenic National Defence General Staff since 2011, was elected to succeed Gen. de Rousiers in November 2015.
List of chairmen
- 2001-9 April 2004: General Gustav Hägglund, Finland
- 9 April 2004 – 6 November 2006: General Rolando Mosca Moschini, Italy
- 6 November 2006 – 6 November 2009: General Henri Bentégeat, France
- 6 November 2009 – 6 November 2012: General Håkan Syrén, Sweden
- 6 November 2012 – 6 November 2015: General Patrick de Rousiers, France
- 6 November 2015 – Present: General Michail Kostarakos, Greece
- Common Security and Defence Policy
- European External Action Service
- Military of the European Union
- Political and Security Committee
- European Union Military Staff
- "General Kostarakos elected president of the EU Military Committee". To Vima. 14 November 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- CSDP structure, instruments, and agencies, EEAS website
- Mai'a K. Davis Cross: "The Military Dimension of European Security: An Epistemic Community Approach." (2013) Millennium Journal of International Studies, 42(1): 45-64.