European Vegetarian Union
|Origins||Hilversum, The Netherlands|
|Product||Business development, standards organisation|
|200 members from 30 countries|
|Owner||Members of The European Vegetarian Union (EVU)|
|Product category||Food label|
|Legal status||Consumer recognised|
The European Vegetarian Union (EVU) is a non-profit, non-governmental umbrella organisation for vegetarian societies and groups in Europe. The union works in the areas of vegetarianism, nutrition, health, consumer protection, the campaign for animal rights, ecology, general information and against world hunger. Headquarters are in Winterthur (Switzerland), together with the Swiss organisation Swissveg.
- The EVU distribute the 1995 film Devour the Earth about the global consequences of meat consumption. The film was produced by the Vegetarian Society, written by Tony Wardle and narrated by Paul McCartney.
- In October 2011, Renato Pichler, President of the EVU, reported that the French government's Décret 2011-1227 and associated Arrêté (September 30, 2011) effectively outlaws the serving of vegan meals at any public or private school in France. Similar decrees are proposed for kindergartens, hospitals, prisons and retirement homes.
The main activities of the EVU are:
- To support and represent member societies on a European level, and to offer a platform for close cooperation;
- To raise public awareness of, and promote vegetarianism, vegetarian issues and the benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle;
- To lobby governments, European institutions and organisations for greater recognition of vegetarian issues in policy decisions; and
- To further promote the successful V-label scheme (Universal Vegetarian Symbol), in the interest of all vegetarian and vegan consumers across Europe and the rest of the world. The V-Label is a standardised European vegetarian label from the EVU with the aim of easy identification of vegetarian products and services.
- List of vegetarian organizations
- The Vegan Society (United Kingdom)
- Vegetarian Society (United Kingdom)
- Vegetarian and vegan symbolism
Animal protection movements
- Human Environment Animal Protection (Tierschutzpartei)
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
- Vegetarians' International Voice for Animals
Overview about Vegetarianism
- "CH-440.4.021.134 V-Label GmbH". Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "Devour the Earth". World Preservation Foundation. Archived from the original on 2013-01-07.
- "Devour the Earth". EVU. Archived from the original on 2013-10-14.
- Renato Pichler "The French Government Outlaws Vegetarianism in Schools" Archived October 24, 2011, at the Wayback Machine., European Vegetarian Union (EVU). *Also see "The French Government Outlaws Vegetarianism in Schools", European Vegetarian and Animal News Alliance (EVANA).