European Women's Handball Championship
|Number of teams||27 (Qualification)|
16 (Final Tournament)
|Current champions||France (1st title)|
|Most successful team(s)||Norway (7 titles)|
|2020 European Women's Handball Championship|
The European Women's Handball Championship is the official competition for senior women's national handball teams of Europe, and takes place every two years. In addition to crowning the European champions, the tournament also serves as a qualifying tournament for the Olympic Games and World Championship. As of December 2018, the only teams that have ever won the championship are Norway (seven times), Denmark (three times), Hungary, Montenegro and France (once).
In year 1946, the International Handball Federation was founded by eight European nations, and though non-European nations competed at the World Championships, the medals had always been taken by European nations. European Handball Federation is founded in 1991. At the same time (1995), the World Championship was changed from a quadrennial to a biannual event, and the European Handball Federation now began its own championship – which also acted as a regional qualifier for the World Championship.
|Totals (13 nations)||13||13||13||39|
|1||Denmark||4||1996, 2002, 2010, 2020|
|2||Hungary||3||2004, 2014, 2024|
- 1st – Champions
- 2nd – Runners-up
- 3rd – Third place
- 4th – Fourth place
- 5th – Fifth place
- 6th – Sixth place
- 7th – Seventh place
- 8th – Eighth place
- 9th – Ninth place
- 10th – Tenth place
- 11th – Eleventh place
- 12th – Twelfth place
- 13th to 16th – Thirteenth to sixteenth place
- Q – Qualified for upcoming tournament
- q – may still qualify for upcoming tournament
- – Did not qualify
- – Disqualified
- – Did not enter / Withdrew / Banned
- – Hosts
For each tournament, the number of teams in each finals tournament (in brackets) are shown.
|Historical national teams|
|Serbia and Montenegro1||12th||1|
- 1 FR Yugoslavia competed as such until 2003 when the FRY was reconstituted as a State Union Serbia and Montenegro. Since the dissolution of the union in 2006, national teams exist for both countries.
- History of Handball from ihf.info, retrieved 7 February 2006
- Medals Table – Ranking At Men's World Championships A 1938–1990 from ihf.info, retrieved 7 February 2006
- (in German) Handball-Bundesliga diskutiert Reduzierung auf 16 Teams, by Erik Eggers, published by Der Spiegel online, 30 January 2006
- "Championship Guide". European Handball Federation. Retrieved 1 January 2009.