European Young Conservatives
|European Young Conservatives|
|Deputy Chairman||Radosław Fogiel|
|Vice-Chairman|| Osman Dervish
Giovanni Contini Demaria
Kim Risbjerg Madsen
|Secretary General||Alexander Redpath|
|Split from||Democrat Youth Community of Europe|
|Headquarters||4 Matthew Parker Street London, SW1H 9HQ
|International affiliation||International Young Democrat Union|
As of 2014, the group has a membership of 26 political youth organisations from 22 different countries and territories, in addition to four associated members. The EYC is independent and not affiliated with any European political party, but maintains a non-exclusive relationship with the Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe (formerly known as the European Conservatives and Reformists).
The EYC was founded in August 1993 by the youth wings of the British Conservative Party, Danish Conservative People's Party, and Icelandic Independence Party, under the leadership of Andrew Rosindell, then-chairman of the UK's Young Conservatives.
It emerged from a split in the centre-right Democrat Youth Community of Europe (DEMYC), which separated into two factions: the larger part, following a broadly Christian democratic philosophy; and the smaller part, led by Rosindell, following a broadly conservative philosophy. Two crucial points of disagreement were the scope of economic liberalisation and the desirability of a federal Europe.
The EYC held congresses in Warsaw, Poland (2012), Istanbul, Turkey (2014) and Prague, Czech Republic (2012 and 2015). Furthermore, it organized Freedom Summits in Cambridge, United Kingdom (2014 and 2015) and Porto, Portugal (2016), as well as political Summer Camps in Stockholm, Sweden (2014) and Tbilisi, Georgia (2016).
The EYC has twenty-six member organisations:
- Associate members
- Mercer, Paul (1994). Directory of British Political Organisations. London: Longman. p. 133. ISBN 978-0-582-23729-2.
- "Andrew Rosindell". Parliament. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- "After the Campaign Rush". BBC News. 7 June 2001.
- "Europejscy Młodzi Konserwatyści na kongresie w Warszawie". Gazeta Wyborcza (in Polish). 20 May 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2012.[dead link]
- "EYC Congress gathered in Prague". European Young Conservatives. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Members". European Young Conservatives. Retrieved May 21, 2012.