Eurovision Dance Contest
|Eurovision Dance Contest|
Logo of the inaugural Eurovision Dance Contest.
|Created by||Richard Bunn|
|Presented by||Graham Norton|
|Original language(s)||English and French|
|No. of episodes||2 contests|
|Running time||2 hours|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Original release||1 September 2007 –|
6 September 2008
|Related shows||Eurovision Song Contest (1956–)|
The Eurovision Dance Contest was an international dancing competition that was held for the first time in the United Kingdom on Saturday 1 September 2007.
The contest was similar in format to the long-running Eurovision Song Contest and was organized by both the Eurovision association and the International DanceSport Federation (IDSF). The IDSF credits the existence of the contest to Richard Bunn of rbi network, Geneva, former EBU controller of sport, who convinced the EBU to create the programme.
Format and general information
The competition consisted of pairs of dancers from each participating country, each pair performing one dance, a freestyle dance in which the cultures of the individual countries could be showcased to the rest of Europe. In addition to being evaluated by a panel of dance experts, the routines were judged by European audiences who cast their vote for their favourite couple via telephone or text messaging to determine winner of the competition. The BBC was "host broadcaster" for the first two contests in 2007 and 2008, the only contests to date.
Eurovision Dance Contest 2007 was hosted in London. In EDC 2007 each couple has performed two 1 minute 30 seconds dances: the first dance was a ballroom or Latin dance while the second was a freestyle dance. Professional dance couples were allowed to enter the competition. Finland won the competition.
Several changes were introduced for Eurovision Dance Contest 2008 which was hosted in Glasgow. Professional dance couples were no longer allowed, all pairs had to include one professional and one celebrity dancer. Only one, 2 minute dance, was performed by each couple. A professional jury was introduced to the competition having approximate weight of 20% of the outcome, while the remaining 80% came from televoting. Poland won the competition.
The competition was to have been held for a third year, hosted this time in Azerbaijan, but was cancelled with the EBU citing "a serious lack of interest" in the contest. The competition has not been held since.
Sixteen countries; Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine and the host country the United Kingdom all début in the very first Eurovision Dance Contest in 2007. Germany, Spain and Switzerland did not return for the 2008 contest due to lack of interest. Azerbaijan also joined that year.
Belarus intended on competing for the first time in 2009 but the contest was cancelled. Although the 2009 contest never happened Austria, Finland, Lithuania, Sweden and the Netherlands had confirmed they would not compete in the third contest.
|Year||Country making its début entry|
Most of the expense of the contest is covered by commercial sponsors and contributions from the other participating nations. The contest is considered to be a unique opportunity for promoting the host country as a tourist destination. The table below shows a list of cities and venues that have hosted Eurovision Dance Contest, one or more times.
|2||United Kingdom||London||BBC Television Centre||2007|
|Glasgow||Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre||2008|
The contest differs from the Eurovision Song Contest in that the winning country does not automatically become host for the next contest. The Eurovision Dance Contest followed the same host selection process as the Junior Eurovision Song Contest.
|Year||Date||Host city||Winner||Dancers||Dance style||Points||Margin||Runner-up|
|2007||1 September||London||Finland||Katja Koukkula and Jussi Väänänen||Rumba and Paso Doble||132||11||Ukraine|
|2008||6 September||Glasgow||Poland||Edyta Herbuś and Marcin Mroczek||Rumba, Cha-cha-cha and Jazz Dance||154||33||Russia|
Top three placings
- ABU Song Festivals
- Bundesvision Song Contest
- Cân i Gymru
- Caribbean Song Festival
- Eurovision Choir
- Eurovision Magic Circus Show
- Eurovision Song Contest
- Eurovision Young Dancers
- Eurovision Young Musicians
- Intervision Song Contest
- Junior Eurovision Song Contest
- OGAE Second Chance Contest
- OGAE Video Contest
- Sopot International Song Festival
- Turkvision Song Contest
- IDSF Presidium announcement
- rbi network, Richard Bunn, Genève - easyMonitoring
- IDSF President Address of the occasion of IDSF’s 50th Anniversary
- Eurovision Dance Contest EBU (Bottom of page) Archived 2007-01-12 at the Wayback Machine
- Eurovision Dance Contest 2008 Glasgow Танцевальное Евровидение 2008 Глазго
- "FAQ Eurovision Dance Contest - Glasgow 2008". Retrieved 2008-09-20.