Eusko Gudariak (originally spelt Euzko Gudariak, "Basque Soldiers") was the republican anthem of the Eusko Gudarostea, the army of the Basque Autonomous Government during the Spanish Civil War. The song used to refer to the defense of the Basque country within the Republic of Spain against the nationalist Spain army.
The music is a traditional Basque tune from Araba, named Atzo Bilbon nengoan. The lyrics were composed in 1932 by José María de Gárate, an officer of the EAJ-PNV. During the war, Captain Alejandro Lizaso Eizmendi added some verses.
- 1 Irrintzi, literally "neigh", is a high-pitched scream used in celebrations and to call others at long distances.
- «Euzko gudariak», Auñamendi Basque Encyclopaedia.
- Gernikako arbola, a traditional Basque anthem
- Gora ta gora, official Basque anthem
- Oriamendi, a traditional Carlist anthem
- El Himno de Riego, the anthem of the Second Spanish Republic
- A Las Barricadas, Spanish anarchist anthem
- Marcha Real, the anthem of Francoist Spain and the Kingdom of Spain
- Cara al sol, the Falange anthem
- The Internationale, socialist anthem
- Canciones republicanas de la Guerra Civil Española. Lyrics with Spanish translation.