|Motto: Small town with a BIG town Heart|
Location of Eustace, Texas
|• Total||1.7 sq mi (4.5 km2)|
|• Land||1.7 sq mi (4.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||423 ft (129 m)|
|• Density||463.9/sq mi (179.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||430, 903|
|GNIS feature ID||1373681|
Eustace is located at (32.308801, -96.009098).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.4 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 798 people, 309 households, and 204 families residing in the city. The population density was 463.9 people per square mile (179.1/km²). There were 339 housing units at an average density of 197.1 per square mile (76.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.87% White, 0.13% Native American, 0.13% Asian, 1.38% from other races, and 0.50% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.39% of the population.
There were 309 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.5% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.7% were non-families. 29.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the city, the population was spread out with 29.8% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 15.5% from 45 to 64, and 15.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 90.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,045, and the median income for a family was $42,411. Males had a median income of $37,500 versus $21,435 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,419. About 6.6% of families and 10.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.9% of those under age 18 and 6.7% of those age 65 or over.
'Fire From Below'
In November 2007, film crews led by actor/producer Andrew Stevens, came to Eustace to film a movie called 'Fire From Below'. The cast included Kevin Sorbo (Hercules) and Burton Gilliam (Blazing Saddles). Many Eustace locations were used, including a restaurant and gazebo on the town square, and a nearby private lake (dubbed 'Lost Lake' in the film). Several Eustace residents were used as extras. According to the script, 'Eustace' was retained as the name of the town setting depicted in the scenes shot in Eustace. 'Fire From Below' was released in 2009.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Fire From Below at the Internet Movie Database
- Janice Arnsdorff (November 21, 2007). "Hollywood Comes to Eustace". Cedar Creek Pilot (Newspaper). Cedar Creek Pilot.