Eutrochium maculatum (spotted joe-pyeweed) is a North American species of flowering plants in the sunflower family. It is widespread through much of the United States and Canada. It is the only species of the genus found west of the Great Plains.
Eutrochium maculatum is an herbaceous perennial sometimes growing as high as 2 m (6 ft 7 in). Stems are sometimes completely purple, sometimes green with purple spots. One plant can produce numerous rose-purple flower heads in late summer, each head with 8-22 disc flowers but no ray flowers. The binomial name maculatum, meaning spotted, refers to the purple spots on the stem.
Spotted Joe-Pye weed thrives in marshes, rich fens and swamps. It also does well in man-made moist expanses such as ditches, seepage areas and wet fields. Above all else the plant flourishes in the non-shaded environments that are also abundant in wetlands.
- Eutrochium maculatum var. bruneri (A. Gray) E. E. Lamont - western Canada (British Columbia to Saskatchewan), western USA (Minnesota west to Idaho, south to Arizona + New Mexico)
- Eutrochium maculatum var. foliosum (Fernald) E. E. Lamont - eastern Canada (Newfoundland to Ontario), northern USA (Maine to Minnesota)
- Eutrochium maculatum var. maculatum - eastern Canada (Newfoundland to Ontario), eastern USA (Maine to Minnesota, south to northern Georgia)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eutrochium maculatum.|
- "Eutrochium maculatum (L.) E.E.Lamont". The Global Compositae Checklist (GCC) – via The Plant List.
- "Eutrochium maculatum". Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- Eutrochium maculatum, Natural Resources Canada
- "Eutrochium maculatum". County-level distribution map from the North American Plant Atlas (NAPA). Biota of North America Program (BONAP). 2014.
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964.
- Dickinson, T.; Metsger, D.; Bull, J.; & Dickinson, R. (2004) ROM Field Guide to Wildflowers of Ontario. Toronto:Royal Ontario Museum, p. 164.
- "Eutrochium maculatum var. maculatum". New York Flora Association. 2005. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
- Lamont, Eric E. (2006). "Eutrochium maculatum". In Flora of North America Editorial Committee. Flora of North America North of Mexico (FNA). 21. New York and Oxford – via eFloras.org, Missouri Botanical Garden, St. Louis, MO & Harvard University Herbaria, Cambridge, MA.
|This Eupatorieae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|