|Federal spokesperson of the Austrian Green Party|
October 3, 2008
|Preceded by||Alexander van der Bellen|
February 28, 1969 |
|Political party||Austrian Green Party|
|Alma mater||University of Graz|
Born in Villach, Carinthia, Glawischnig attended gymnasium in Spittal an der Drau and took her Matura exams there. She then studied law at the University of Graz, Styria, graduating in 1993 (Magistra) and 1999 (doctorate) respectively.
Glawischnig worked as a legal adviser for Global 2000 from 1992 until 1996. In that year she embarked on a career in regional politics for the Green Party of Vienna, later moving on to the federal level. She has been a member of the National Council of Austria (Nationalrat) since 1999 and became vice-chairperson of the Austrian Green Party in 2002. Glawischnig has been a persistent critic of the Austrian government headed by Wolfgang Schüssel. On October 30, 2006 she became Third Speaker of the Austrian Parliament, as the first representative of the Greens in this office.
Notes and references
- "Biographie" (in German). Die Grünen. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- "Ausführlicher Artikel über Eva Glawischnig" (PDF) (in German). Salzburger Nachrichten. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- "Parliament: swearing-in of new Members of Parliament". Austrian Federal Chancellery. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- ORF: "Van der Bellen sichtlich bewegt" (in German)
- Media related to Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about an Austrian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|