Mendes at the 66th Venice International Film Festival
|Born||Eva de la Caridad Méndez|
March 5, 1974
Miami, Florida, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress, model, businesswoman|
|Home town||Glendale, California, U.S.|
|Partner(s)||Ryan Gosling (2011–present)|
Eva de la Caridad Méndez (born March 5, 1974), known professionally as Eva Mendes (//), is an American actress, model and businesswoman. She began acting in the late 1990s. After a series of roles in B movies such as Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror (1998) and Urban Legends: Final Cut (2000), she made a career-changing appearance in Training Day (2001). Since then, Mendes has co-starred in films such as All About the Benjamins, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Ghost Rider, We Own the Night, Stuck on You, Hitch, and The Other Guys.
She has appeared in several music videos for artists like Will Smith. Mendes has been a model and ambassador for Cocio chocolate milk, Magnum ice cream, Calvin Klein, Cartier, Thierry Mugler perfume, Reebok, Campari apéritif, Pantene shampoo, Morgan, and Peek & Cloppenburg. She designs a fashion collection for New York & Company and is also the creative director of CIRCA Beauty, a makeup line sold at Walgreens.
Mendes was born in Miami, Florida, to Cuban parents Eva Pérez Suárez and Juan Carlos Méndez, and raised by her mother in the Los Angeles suburb of Glendale after her parents' divorce. Mendes was raised a Roman Catholic and at one time even considered becoming a Catholic nun. Her mother worked at Mann's Chinese Theatre and later for an aerospace company, and her father ran a meat distribution business. Mendes had one older brother, Juan Carlos Méndez, Jr. (1963–2016), who died from throat cancer. She also has an older sister, Janet, and a younger paternal half-brother, Carlos Alberto "Carlo" Méndez. She attended Hoover High School in Glendale, and later studied marketing at California State University, Northridge, but left college to pursue acting under Ivana Chubbuck.
Mendes began her acting career after a talent manager saw her photo in a friend's portfolio. Her first film appearance was in the direct-to-video Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror. Mendes was disappointed in her performance and she hired an acting coach. She then appeared in the films A Night at the Roxbury, My Brother the Pig, Urban Legends: Final Cut, and Exit Wounds.
Mendes' breakthrough role came when she appeared in Antoine Fuqua's crime thriller Training Day. This then led to roles in All About the Benjamins, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Once Upon a Time in Mexico (which earned her a nomination at the Teen Choice Awards), Out of Time, and Stuck on You. She was the female lead in the 2005 film Hitch, making her one of the first minority actors to play the lead in a hit romantic comedy. Mendes subsequently starred in The Wendell Baker Story, Guilty Hearts, Trust the Man, Ghost Rider, We Own the Night, Live!, and Cleaner.
In 2008, she was nominated for the Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actress for her performance in the all-female comedy film The Women. Mendes then appeared in The Spirit, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, The Other Guys, Last Night, Fast Five, and a spoof short film for Funny or Die. In 2012, Mendes visited Sierra Leone and was featured in the PBS documentary Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide. In 2012, she starred in the crime drama film The Place Beyond the Pines, with Entertainment Weekly describing her performance as "quietly heartbreaking". The following year, she appeared in the HBO comedy film Clear History.
Mendes appeared in the Pet Shop Boys' music video for "Se a vida é (That's the Way Life Is)" in 1996, Aerosmith's music video for "Hole in My Soul" in 1997, and Will Smith's music video for "Miami" in 1998. She also appeared in the music video for The Strokes' "The End Has No End" in 2004.
Mendes was employed by Revlon as an international spokesperson, and participated in their campaign to raise funds for breast cancer research. She appeared nude in a print advertisement for Calvin Klein's Secret Obsession perfume, an ad which was banned in the United States. In December 2007, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) used a nude photo of Mendes for their anti-fur campaign. She also modelled in a Morgan campaign. Mendes was a spokesmodel for the 2008 Campari calendar. In July 2008, she was announced as the international face of Australia's 30 Days of Fashion & Beauty event. She made guest appearances in that country at the month-long festival in September. Mendes has been a spokesperson for Calvin Klein, Magnum, and the chocolate milk brand Cocio. She also promoted Thierry Mugler's Angel fragrance, Reebok shoes, and Pantene shampoo. In 2011, Mendes appeared in a Peek & Cloppenburg clothing catalog.
Mendes has a line of bed linens and dinnerware that is sold at Macy's. In 2010, Mendes sang on "Pimps Don't Cry," a song featured in The Other Guys, and performed a duet with CeeLo Green on "Pimps Don't Cry." In 2011, she recorded a version of "The Windmills of Your Mind." She is also the creative director of the makeup brand CIRCA Beauty, which launched exclusively at Walgreens in 2015.
In the media
Mendes was voted number four in the 2008 edition, and number one in the 2009 edition, of AskMen.com's Top 99 Most Desirable Women. Maxim ranked Mendes number seven in its 2007 Hot 100 issue. She appeared on the cover of Maxim for the second time in November 2007. Maxim ranked Mendes number 11 in its 2010 Hot 100 issue. People named her one of 2012's Most Beautiful at Every Age.
|Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror||Kir|
|A Night at the Roxbury||Bridesmaid|
|1998||Mortal Kombat: Conquest||Hanna||Episode: "Thicker Than Blood"|
|1999||My Brother the Pig||Matilda|
|2000||The Disciples||Maria Serranco|
|Urban Legends: Final Cut||Vanessa Valdeon|
|2002||All About the Benjamins||Gina|
|2003||2 Fast 2 Furious||Monica Fuentes|
|Once Upon a Time in Mexico||Ajedrez Barillo|
|Out of Time||Alex Díaz Whitlock|
|Stuck on You||April Mercedes|
|The Wendell Baker Story||Doreen|
|2006||Trust the Man||Faith Faison|
|2007||Ghost Rider||Roxanne Simpson|
|Knocked Up||Herself||Uncredited Cameo|
|We Own the Night||Amada Juarez|
|Live!||Katy Courbet||Executive producer|
|2008||The Women||Crystal Allen|
|The Spirit||Sand Saref|
|2009||The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans||Frankie Donnenfeld|
|2010||The Other Guys||Dr. Sheila Gamble|
|Last Night||Laura Nunez|
|2011||Fast Five||Monica Fuentes||Uncredited Cameo|
|2012||Holy Motors||Kay M.|
|Girl in Progress||Grace Gutierrez|
|The Place Beyond the Pines||Romina Gutierrez|
|2013||Clear History||Jennifer||Television film|
Awards and nominations
|2002||ALMA Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture||Training Day||Nominated|
|2004||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie: Female Breakout Star||N/A||Nominated|
|2005||Capri Hollywood Awards||Capri Global Award||N/A||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie: Love Scene||Hitch||Nominated|
|2006||ALMA Awards||Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture||Nominated|
|2007||ALMA Awards||Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture||Trust the Man||Nominated|
|Imagen Foundation Awards||Best Actress – Feature Film||Ghost Rider||Nominated|
|2009||ALMA Awards||Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture||The Women and The Spirit||Nominated|
|Giffoni Film Festival||Giffoni Award||N/A||Won|
|2011||ALMA Awards||Favorite Movie Actress – Comedy/Musical||The Other Guys||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actress – Comedy||Nominated|
|2012||Imagen Foundation Awards||Best Actress – Feature Film||Girl in Progress||Nominated|
|ALMA Awards||Favorite Movie Actress – Drama/Adventure||Nominated|
|2013||Imagen Foundation Awards||Best Actress – Feature Film||The Place Beyond the Pines||Nominated|
|2016||Premios Juventud||Actriz Que Se Roba La Pantalla||N/A||Nominated|
- "Their little princess! Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling give baby daughter a Disney inspired name". Daily Mail. October 10, 2014.
- Morgan, Sal (February 19, 2007). "Viva Eva – one gutsy, cool gal". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved February 18, 2007.
- Crowley, Evelyn (November 2014). "EVA MENDES". Violet Grey. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- Barlow, Helen (February 18, 2008). "Latina Bonita". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Boone, John (April 28, 2016). "Eva Mendes and Family Remember 'Amazing' Brother Juan Carlos After He Dies of Throat Cancer at 53". Entertainment Tonight.
- Paylor, Juliet (March 21, 2014). "Three generations! Eva Mendes is joined by her father, sister and niece as she marks the launch of her new clothing line". Daily Mail.
- "Hoover High School has its share of notable graduates". Glendale News Press. May 15, 2004.
- "Eva Mendes studied acting under Ivana Chubbuck". TV.com. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Eva Mendes Biography". People. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Eva Mendes Interview: Hitch is a rising star". Bahcecik.ipower.com. Archived from the original on April 14, 2012. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Eva Mendes". Biography.com. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- "2009 Razzies: Golden Raspberry Awards list of nominees". Die Welt. January 22, 2009. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- Siegel, Tatiana (June 15, 2008). "Eva Mendes eyes 'Bad Lieutenant'". Variety.
- Hewitt, Chris (September 14, 2009). "Mendes And Keaton Join The Other Guys". Empire.
- Elser, Daniela; Pike, Julie (August 4, 2010). "Eva Mendes Sex Tape, Funny or Die Night Vision Promo". National Ledger. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "Mendes visits Sierra Leone". Toronto Sun. October 24, 2011.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (June 14, 2011). "Eva Mendes, Greta Gerwig In Talks For 'The Place Beyond The Pines'". Deadline Hollywood.
- Nashawaty, Chris (April 3, 2013). "The Place Beyond the Pines". Entertainment Weekly.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 13, 2012). "Larry David Assembles All-Star Cast For HBO Movie: Jon Hamm, Kate Hudson, Danny McBride, Eva Mendes, Amy Ryan, Bill Hader". Deadline Hollywood.
- "In Step With: Eva Mendes". Parade. January 30, 2005.
- "Eva Mendes Naked In Banned Calvin Klein Ad". The Huffington Post. August 4, 2008.
- "Sultry Eva Mendes Strips for PETA". The Daily Telegraph. December 7, 2007.
- "More sexy Eva Mendes ads". The Huffington Post.
- "Calendar Pictures". Biosstars-mx.com. Archived from the original on November 4, 2010. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "Eva Mendes 30 Days International Guest". ACP Magazines. August 19, 2008. Archived from the original on February 26, 2009. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "Seductive Comfort". Calvin Klein.
- "Eva Mendes Is Magnum's Pleasure Ambassador". Starpulse.com. March 18, 2009. Archived from the original on January 13, 2013. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Eva Mendes skal selge sjokomelk i Norge". E24 (in Norwegian). February 21, 2010.
- "Eva Mendes Earns Her Wings as Face of Thierry Mugler's Angel Fragrance". People. March 17, 2011.
- "Eva Mendes is named new brand ambassador of Reebok EasyTone". Daily Mail. January 3, 2011. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Pantene taps Eva Mendes, Naomi Watts as brand ambassadors". Drug Store News. May 5, 2011. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Eva Mendes Stars in Peek & Cloppenburg Catalog, Campaign, and Video". Fashion Etc. April 25, 2011.
- "Eva Mendes Launches Home Decor Brand Exclusively at Macy's". Reuters. September 11, 2008. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Dishing with Eva Mendes". LA Daily News. February 19, 2010. Archived from the original on February 24, 2010. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- "Watch Eva Mendes' Other Guys End Credits Song". Cinema Blend. August 6, 2010. Retrieved August 10, 2010.
- "Pimps Don't Cry ft. Cee-Lo Green & Eva Mendes from Eva Mendes, Cee Lo Green, Matt and Oz, Adam "Ghost Panther" McKay, Will Ferrell, Jon Brion, Antonio Scarlata, Funny Or Die, Shauna O'Toole, Josh, and Dalwolf". Funny or Die. August 5, 2010. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- "See Eva Mendes Sing in Super-Sexy Ad". Us Weekly. September 24, 2011. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Dawson Hoff, Victoria (March 18, 2015). "Eva Mendes Launches a $15 Makeup Range Worth Hoarding by the Handful". Elle. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- King, Sarah (June 21, 2016). "Exclusive: Why Eva Mendes Loves Walgreens and Doesn't Care About Being Thin". Byrdie.com. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- "Walgreens and Maesa Launch Exclusive Masstige Color Cosmetics Line, CIRCA, In Collaboration with Eva Mendes". PR Newswire. February 6, 2015. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- Webber, Stephanie (September 16, 2014). "Eva Mendes Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Girl With Ryan Gosling". Us Weekly. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- Corriston, Michele; Garcia, Jennifer (September 16, 2014). "Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes Welcome a Daughter". People. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- "Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes Welcome Daughter Amada Lee". People. May 9, 2016.
- Toomey, Alyssa (March 10, 2015). "Eva Mendes Flaunts Insane Post-Baby Bod for Woman's Health, Talks Daughter Esmeralda, Diet and Fitness and Going to Therapy". E! Online.
- "Interview: Eva Mendes on David Lynch, Ayn Rand, and Making it in Los Angeles". Film.com. August 3, 2010.
- "Eva Mendes Top 99 Women 2009". AskMen.com. Archived from the original on January 2, 2011. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "Hot 100". Maxim. 2006. Retrieved January 11, 2007.
- "November Issue Preview". Maxim. November 2007. Archived from the original on November 23, 2007. Retrieved October 13, 2006.
- "2010 Hot 100". Maxim (in German). Archived from the original on August 13, 2010. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- Quan, Karen J. (April 20, 2012). "2012 Most Beautiful at Every Age – Eva Mendes". People. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- Koehler, Robert (April 21, 2011). "Fast Five". Variety. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
...spiced with an uncredited cameo by Eva Mendes...
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eva Mendes.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Eva Mendes|