Mendes at the 66th Venice International Film Festival
March 5, 1974 |
Miami, Florida, United States
|Occupation||Actress, model, singer, designer|
|Partner(s)||Ryan Gosling (2011–Present)|
Eva Mendes (born March 5, 1974) is an American actress, model, singer and designer. She began acting in the late 1990s, and after a series of roles in B movies such as Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror (1998) and Urban Legends: Final Cut (2000), she made a career changing appearance in Training Day (2001). Since then she has co-starred in movies including 2 Fast 2 Furious, Ghost Rider, We Own the Night, Stuck on You, Hitch and The Other Guys.
She has appeared in several music videos and sung with CeeLo Green. Mendes has been a model and ambassador of Cocio chocolate milk, Magnum ice cream, Revlon, Calvin Klein, Cartier, Thierry Mugler perfume, Reebok, Campari apéritif, Pantene shampoo, Morgan and Peek & Cloppenburg clothes. She designed a fashion collection for New York & Company in 2013.
Mendes was born in Miami, Florida, to Cuban parents and raised by her mother in the Los Angeles suburb of Glendale after her parents' divorce. Mendes was raised a Roman Catholic and at one time even considered becoming a Catholic Nun. Her mother worked at Mann's Chinese Theatre and later for an aerospace company; her father ran a meat distribution business. She attended Hoover High School in Glendale and later attended California State University, Northridge, to study Marketing but left college to study Acting under Ivana Chubbuck.
Mendes began her acting career after a talent manager saw her photo in a friend's portfolio. Her first film appearance was in the direct-to-video Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror. Mendes was disappointed in her performance and she hired an acting coach. She then appeared in the films A Night at the Roxbury, Mortal Kombat: Conquest, My Brother the Pig, The Disciples, Urban Legends: Final Cut and Exit Wounds.
Mendes' breakthrough role came when she appeared in Training Day and led to roles in All About the Benjamins, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Once Upon a Time in Mexico (which earned her a nomination at the Teen Choice Awards), Out of Time and Stuck on You. She was the female lead in the 2005 comedy Hitch and was one of the first minority actors to play the lead in a hit romantic comedy. She starred in The Wendell Baker Story, Guilty Hearts, Trust the Man, Ghost Rider, We Own the Night, Live! and Cleaner.
In 2008, she was nominated for a Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actress for her performance in The Women. She appeared in The Spirit, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, The Other Guys, Last Night, Fast Five and the spoof video, Funny or Die. In 2012, Eva Mendes visited Sierra Leone and was featured in the PBS documentary Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide. She starred in the 2013 movie The Place Beyond the Pines Entertainment Weekly described her performance as "quietly heartbreaking."
As model and spokesperson
Mendes appeared in Will Smith's video "Miami" and the Pet Shop Boys' music video for "Se a vida é (That's the way life is)" in 1996 and Aerosmith's video "Hole in My Soul" in 1997. She also appeared in the video for "The End Has No End" by The Strokes in 2004. Mendes was employed by Revlon Cosmetics as an international spokeswoman and participant in Revlon's campaign to raise funds for breast cancer research. Mendes appeared nude in a print ad for Calvin Klein's Secret Obsession perfume; the ad was banned in the United States. In December 2007, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) used a nude photo of Mendes for their anti-fur campaign. She modelled in a Morgan campaign. Mendes was a spokesmodel for the 2008 Campari calendar. Mendes was announced as the international face of Australia's 30 Days of Fashion & Beauty event in July 2008. She made guest appearances in that country at the month-long festival in September. Mendes has been a spokesperson for Calvin Klein, Magnum, and the chocolate milk brand Cocio. She also promoted Thierry Mugler's Angel fragrance. Reebok shoes and Pantene shampoo. She appeared in a Peek & Cloppenburg clothing catalog in 2011.
Mendes has a line of bed linens and dinnerware that is sold at Macy's. In 2010, Mendes sang on "Pimps Don't Cry", a song featured in The Other Guys, and performed a duet with CeeLo Green on "Pimps Don't Cry". In 2011, she recorded a version of "The Windmills of Your Mind".
In the media
Mendes was voted number four in the 2008 edition, and number one in the 2009 edition, of AskMen.com's Top 99 Most Desirable Women. Maxim ranked Mendes number seven in its 2007 Hot 100 issue. She appeared on the cover of Maxim for the second time in November 2007. Maxim ranked Mendes #11 in its 2010 Hot 100 issue. People named her one of 2012 Most Beautiful at Every Age.
Mendes dated George Augusto from 2002 to 2010. In September 2011, she began dating her The Place Beyond the Pines co-star Ryan Gosling. On September 12, 2014, she gave birth to their daughter, Esmeralda Amada. She is a vegetarian for both ethical and health reasons.
Mendes spent several weeks at the Cirque Lodge addiction facility in 2008 to address "personal issues". She continues to maintain her privacy regarding the details of her condition. Mendes practices Transcendental Meditation.
|1998||Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror||Kir|
|1998||A Night at the Roxbury||Bridesmaid|
|1998||Mortal Kombat: Konquest||Hanna||Guest star, one episode|
|1999||My Brother the Pig||Matilda|
|2000||The Disciples||Maria Serranco|
|2000||Urban Legends: Final Cut||Vanessa Valdeon|
|2001||Training Day||Sara Harris|
|2002||All About the Benjamins||Gina|
|2003||2 Fast 2 Furious||Monica Fuentes|
|2003||Once Upon a Time in Mexico||Ajedrez Barillo|
|2003||Out of Time||Alex Díaz Whitlock|
|2003||Stuck on You||April|
|2005||The Wendell Baker Story||Doreen|
|2006||Trust the Man||Faith|
|2007||Ghost Rider||Roxanne Simpson|
|2007||We Own the Night||Amada Juarez|
|2008||The Women||Crystal Allen|
|2008||The Spirit||Sand Saref|
|2009||The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans||Frankie Donnenfeld|
|2010||The Other Guys||Sheila Gamble|
|2011||Fast Five||Monica Fuentes||Uncredited|
|2012||Holy Motors||Kay M|
|2012||Girl in Progress||Grace|
|2012||The Place Beyond the Pines||Romina|
- "Monitor". Entertainment Weekly (1249). Mar 8, 2013. p. 20.
- Morgan, Sal (2007-02-19). "Viva Eva – one gutsy, cool gal". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2007-02-18.
- Crowley, Evelyn (November 2014). "EVA MENDES". Violet Grey. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Fresh out of rehab, Eva Mendes talks to Helen Barlow about being beautiful, seeing a shrink and why no one believes she has a boyfriend.". smh. February 18, 2008. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "Eva Mendes studied acting under Ivana Chubbuck". tv.com. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- Eva Mendes Biography. People.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Eva Mendes Interview: Hitch is a rising star. Bahcecik.ipower.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Eva Mendes Biography. People.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- "2009 Razzies: Golden Raspberry Awards list of nominees". Die Welt. 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Eva Mendes Sex Tape, Funny or Die Night Vision Promo". National Ledger. August 4, 2010. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "Mendes visits Sierra Leone" October 24, 2011, Toronto Sun
- "Eva Mendes: All About The Place Beyond The Pines" March 28, 2013, Finance Foodie Media
- Nashawaty, Chris. "The Place Beyond the Pines". Entertainment Weekly.
- "In Step With: Eva Mendes". Parade Magazine. January 30, 2005.
- "Eva Mendes Naked In Banned Calvin Klein Ad". The Huffington Post. August 4, 2008.
- "Sultry Eva Mendes Strips for PETA". The Daily Telegraph. December 7, 2007.
- "More sexy Eva Mendes ads" The Huffington Post
- "Calendar Pictures". Biosstars-mx.com. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- "Eva Mendes 30 Days International Guest". ACP Magazines. 2008-08-19. Archived from the original on 2009-02-26. Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- "Seductive Comfort". Calvin Klein.
- Eva Mendes Is Magnum's Pleasure Ambassador. Starpulse.com (2009-03-18). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- " Eva Mendes skal selge sjokomelk i Norge" 21 February 2010, E24 (in Norwegian)
- "Eva Mendes Earns Her Wings as Face of Thierry Mugler’s Angel Fragrance" Style Watch News, People Magazine
- Eva Mendes is named new brand ambassador of Reebok EasyTone | Mail Online. Dailymail.co.uk (2011-01-03). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Pantene taps Eva Mendes, Naomi Watts as brand ambassadors. Drug Store News (2011-05-05). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- "Eva Mendes Stars in Peek & Cloppenburg Catalog, Campaign, and Video" April 25, 2011, Fashion etc.
- Eva Mendes Launches Home Decor Brand Exclusively at Macy's. Reuters (2008-09-11). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Dishing with Eva Mendes – LA Daily News. Dailynews.com (2010-02-19). Retrieved on 2012-03-03.
- Sowray, Bibby (February 12, 2013). "Eva Mendes turns fashion designer". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "Watch Eva Mendes' Other Guys End Credits Song". Cinema Blend. 2010-08-06. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- "Pimps Don't Cry ft. Cee-Lo Green & Eva Mendes from Eva Mendes, Cee Lo Green, Matt and Oz, Adam "Ghost Panther" McKay, Will Ferrell, Jon Brion, Antonio Scarlata, Funny Or Die, Shauna O'Toole, Josh, and Dalwolf". Funnyordie.com. 2010-08-05. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- See Eva Mendes Sing in Super-Sexy Ad. UsMagazine.com (2011-09-24). Retrieved on 2012-06-12.
- "Eva Mendes Top 99 Women 2009". AskMen.com. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- "Hot 100". Maxim. 2006. Retrieved 2007-01-11.
- "November Issue Preview". Maxim Magazine Online. November 2007. Retrieved 2006-10-13.[dead link]
- "2010 Hot 100" (in German). Maxim.com. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- Karen J. Quan (April 20, 2012). "2012 Most Beautiful at Every Age – Eva Mendes". People. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- "Eva Mendes Biography : People.com". www.people.com. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Eva Mendes: I Want To Be More Than ‘Sexy’". Access Hollywood – Celebrity News, Photos & Videos. www.accesshollywood.com. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- Celebrities: Film: Eva Mendes: Celebrities. Wmagazine.com (2011-08-01). Retrieved on 2012-01-02.
- Webber, Stephanie (September 16, 2014). "Eva Mendes Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Girl With Ryan Gosling". Us Weekly. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- Corriston, Michele; Garcia, Jennifer (reporting by) (September 16, 2014). "Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes Welcome a Daughter". People. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- Alyssa Toomey,"Eva Mendes Flaunts Insane Post-Baby Bod for Woman's Health, Talks Daughter Esmeralda, Diet and Fitness and Going to Therapy," EOnline.com, 10 March 2015.
- Eva Mendes in Rehab. People.com (2008-02-01)
- "Mendes Won't Talk About Rehab For Fear Of Upsetting Mum". Contactmusic.com. 2008-08-06. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Interview: Eva Mendes on David Lynch, Ayn Rand, and Making it in Los Angeles". August 3, 2010.
- "Lost River (2014) - Cast, Crew & Credits". Moviefone. AOL. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eva Mendes.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Eva Mendes|
- Eva Mendes at AllMovie
- Eva Mendes at the Internet Movie Database
- Eva Mendes at the Internet Broadway Database