Eva Maria Noblezada
March 18, 1996
San Diego, California, U.S.
Leo Roberts (m. 2017)
Eva Maria Noblezada (born March 18, 1996) is an American actress and singer.
Noblezada portrayed the lead role of Kim in the 2014 West End and 2017 Broadway revivals of Miss Saigon, performances for which she won a 2015 WhatsOnStage Award and received a 2017 Tony Award nomination. Noblezada originated the role of Eurydice in Hadestown on Broadway, a performance for which she received her second Tony nomination in 2019.
Early life and education
Eva Maria Noblezada was born on March 18, 1996 in San Diego, California to Filipino father, Jon, and a Mexican American mother, Angie Noblezada. She and her family moved to Charlotte, North Carolina, where she attended the Northwest School of the Arts until she was 17. Her aunt is Annette Calud, who played Celina on Sesame Street.
On July 1, 2013, Noblezada became one of five finalists for the 2013 National High School Musical Theatre Awards, also known as the Jimmy Awards. Her performance of the song "With You" from Ghost during the awards ceremony at the Minskoff Theatre in New York City was noted by casting director Tara Rubin, who arranged an audition for Noblezada, then 17, before producer Cameron Mackintosh for the forthcoming West End revival of Miss Saigon. Noblezada was cast in the lead role of Kim.
In the spring of 2014, Noblezada left the Northwest School of the Arts in Charlotte to star in Miss Saigon in London. For her performance as Kim, Noblezada won the 2015 WhatsOnStage Award for Best Actress in a Musical. She performed "I'd Give My Life for You" at the 2015 Laurence Olivier Awards ceremony.
Noblezada reprised her performance as Kim in the first Broadway revival of Miss Saigon, which opened at the Broadway Theatre on March 23, 2017 for a limited run through January 14, 2018. For her performance, Noblezada was nominated for the 2017 Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical.
In November 2018 Noblezada opened in the lead role of Eurydice in the Royal National Theatre's production of the musical, Hadestown. She continued in the role of Eurydice when the production transferred to Broadway's Walter Kerr Theatre in April 2019. She received a Tony Award nomination for her role and won the Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards Favorite Leading Actress in a Musical category.
Noblezada married longtime boyfriend and actor, Leo Roberts, on November 4, 2017.
|2014–16||Miss Saigon||Kim||Prince Edward Theatre||Laurence Connor|
|2016||Les Misérables||Éponine||Queen's Theatre|
|2017–18||Miss Saigon||Kim||Broadway Theatre||Laurence Connor|
|2018–19||Hadestown||Eurydice||Royal National Theatre||Rachel Chavkin|
|2019–present||Walter Kerr Theatre|
|2019||Yellow Rose||Rose Garcia|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Jimmy Award||Best Performance by an Actress||
|2015||WhatsOnStage Award||Best Actress in a Musical||Miss Saigon||Won|
|2017||Tony Award||Best Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|Drama League Award||Distinguished Performance||Nominated|
|Broadway.com Audience Choice Award||Favorite Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|Theatre World Award||Honoree|
|2019||Tony Award||Best Actress in a Musical||Hadestown||Nominated|
|Broadway.com Audience Choice Award||Favorite Leading Actress in a Musical||Won|
|Favorite Onstage Pair (with Reeve Carney)||Nominated|
- Kelley, Seth (2017-05-02). "Tony Nominations Announced: Full List of 2017 Nominees". Variety. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- "London Miss Saigon Star Eva Noblezada on her Chipotle Ordering Skills, Meeting Lea Salonga & 'B to the S' Rumors". Theatre. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- Salonga, Lea. "The girl who would be Kim". Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Eva Noblezada and Annette Calud". wmagazine. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Eva Noblezada's Journey from the Jimmy Awards to Broadway Leading Lady | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Ellis-Petersen, Hannah (2015-02-15). "Miss Saigon dominates WhatsOnStage awards". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Emma Lzbth (2015-04-13), Miss Saigon Olivier Awards 2015 - "I'd Give My Life For You", retrieved 2017-11-05
- Desk, BWW News. "Photo Flash: Eva Noblezada Joins the Barricade as 'Eponine' in West End's LES MISERABLES". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "The New York Pops 33rd Birthday Gala". www.carnegiehall.org. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Barnard, Christopher. "Meet Eva Noblezada, the 21-Year-Old Competing for a Tony Award Against Veterans Bette Midler and Patti LuPone". W Magazine. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Hadestown: National Theatre". National Theatre.
- "Full Cast Announced for HADESTOWN on Broadway; Rehearsals Begin Today!". Broadway World. February 11, 2019.
- "Full List of the 2019 Tony Award Nominees". The New York Times. 2019-04-30. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- "Be More Chill Leads Broadway.com Audience Choice Award Winners; Pretty Woman, Mockingbird Also Take Top Prizes". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- McPhee, Ryan (November 5, 2017). "Miss Saigon's Eva Noblezada Marries U.K. Actor Leo Roberts". Playbill.
- "17-Year-Old Eva Noblezada to Star in MISS SAIGON in the West End". Broadway World. November 21, 2013.
- James, Théoden (May 2, 2017). "Former Northwest School of the Arts student is now up against Bette Midler for a Tony Award". The Charlotte Observer.
- McPhee, Ryan (2019-04-30). "2019 Tony Award Nominations: Hadestown and Ain't Too Proud Lead the Pack". Playbill. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- Wontorek, Paul (May 7, 2019). "Fan-Picked 2019 Broadway.com Audience Choice Award Nominations Announced; Be More Chill Leads With 12". Broadway.com.
- "Be More Chill Leads Broadway.com Audience Choice Award Winners; Pretty Woman, Mockingbird Also Take Top Prizes". Broadway.com. May 16, 2019.