Evaldo Cabral de Mello
|Evaldo Cabral de Mello|
January 20, 1936 |
|Subject||17th Century Colonial Brazil|
|Notable works||O negócio do Brasil: Portugal, os Países Baixos e o Nordeste, 1641-1669|
|Notable awards||National Order of Scientific Merit|
|Spouse||Maria Luiza Cabral de Mello|
|Relatives||João Cabral de Melo Neto (brother)
Gilberto Freyre (cousin)
Evaldo Cabral de Mello (Recife, January 20, 1936) is a Brazilian historian, history writer and former diplomat, considered to be one of the most important Brazilian historians of the twentieth century.
Evaldo Cabral de Mello was born in Recife on January 20, 1936 to Luís Antônio Cabral de Melo and Carmem Carneiro Leão Cabral de Melo. He is the younger brother of poet João Cabral de Melo Neto (1920–1999) and the cousin of sociologist Gilberto Freyre (1900–1987).
Cabral de Mello studied the philosophy of history in Madrid and London. Upon returning to Brazil he entered the diplomatic training institution Rio Branco Institute in 1960. Afterwards, Cabral de Mello worked as a diplomat for the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 1962 until his retirement.
In 1975, Cabral de Mello released his first book, Olinda restaurada: guerra e açúcar no Nordeste, 1630-1654. Since then he has written several books, including O negócio do Brasil: Portugal, os Países Baixos e o Nordeste, 1641-1669. In this book he showed that the Portuguese reconquest of Brazil from the Dutch was no military victory, but that a large sum of money was paid by Portugal to the Dutch Republic in exchange for Dutch Brazil.
- Editora Senac - Short biography (in Portuguese)
- Brazilian Embassy - Washington D.C. - Brazilian Diplomacy Archived 2009-02-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Leite, Paulo Moreira (November 11, 1998). "A compra do Nordeste" [The purchase of Northeast Brazil]. Veja (in Brazilian Portuguese). São Paulo: Editora Abril.
- Zwaap, René (May 20, 2000). "Hoe duur was de suiker?" [How Expensive Was the Sugar?]. De Groene Amsterdammer (in Dutch). Amsterdam: NV Weekblad De Groene Amsterdammer.
- Evaldo Cabral de Mello - Membros da ONMC
- ABL elege o historiador Evaldo Cabral de Mello para a sucessão do Acadêmico João Ubaldo Ribeiro
|This biographical article about a Brazilian historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Brazilian diplomat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|