Evan A. Davis
|Evan A. Davis|
|Born||Greenwich, Connecticut, U.S.|
Harvard University (AB)|
Columbia Law School (JD)
|Known for||Expert on public law|
Davis was raised in Greenwich, Connecticut and educated at Phillips Exeter Academy, class of 1962. He obtained his A.B. from Harvard College in 1966, and his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from Columbia Law School in 1969. While at Columbia, he was Editor-in-Chief of the Columbia Law Review. After graduation, he clerked for Judge Harold Leventhal of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, and subsequently for Justice Potter Stewart of the United States Supreme Court.
Davis joined Cleary Gottlieb in 1975 and became a partner in 1978, working in litigation and international and domestic dispute resolution. From 1985 to 1991, he served as counsel to New York State Governor Mario Cuomo. He rejoined the firm in 1991.
Recent clients Davis has represented include Bank of America, Barclays Bank, Lloyd's of London, Goldman Sachs, the American Museum of Natural History, the Guggenheim Foundation, and the Museum of Modern Art.
Civic involvement and awards
In addition to his service under Mario Cuomo, Davis was a candidate for New York State Attorney General in 1998. From 2000 to 2002 he served as president of the New York City Bar Association. In 2008, he was recommended for appointment as the Chief Judge of the New York Court of Appeals by the state Commission on Judicial Nomination.
Among the honors he has received, in 2016 the New York State Bar Association bestowed on Davis its Gold Medal Award. Previously, Davis was awarded the Medal for Excellence by Columbia University in 1987, the Emory Buckner Award for Distinguished Public Service by the Federal Bar Council in 1990, an environmental award by the Wildlife Conservation Society in 1995, and the Milton Gould Award for Outstanding Appellate Advocacy by the Office of the Appellate Defender in 1996. He also received the William J. Brennan Jr. Award for Outstanding Contribution to Public Discourse by the Brennan Center in 1999, the Law and Society Award by New York Lawyers for the Public Interest in 2000, and the Whitney North Seymour Award by the Federal Bar Council in 2002.
- "Alumni Reunion 2014-Meeting the Challenge of Political Corruption". Columbia Law School. June 7, 2014. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "Masthead-Editorial Staff" (PDF). Columbia Law Review. February 1968. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Hoffmann, Jan (May 24, 2000). "Public Lives; Lawyer With a Special Feeling for Injustice". New York Times. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- Lovett, Ken (November 22, 2013). "Mario Cuomo's Counsel Warned That Moreland Commissions Can't Investigate The Legislature". New York Daily News. Retrieved September 15, 2018.
- "Schoeps v. Museum of Modern Art". United States District Court, S.D. New York. January 27, 2009. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Davis, Evan A. (January 7, 2017). "Opinion: The people's chance to improve Albany". Watertown Daily Times. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Davis, Evan A. (March 28, 2017). "Constitutional Convention is our chance for reform". Rochester Democrat & Chronicle. USA Today. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Conley, Kristan (May 31, 2018). "Top Mario Cuomo aide wants to abolish state ethics panel". New York Post. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "Capitol Press Room-interview with Evan Davis". WQXR.org. May 30, 2018. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- Davis, Evan A. (March 30, 2001). "Statement of Evan A. Davis, President, The Association of the Bar of the City of New York Before the ABA Commission on Multi-jurisdictional Practice - Center for Professional Responsibility". American Bar Association. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Choo, Kristin. "A Day of Days: ABA Members Recall How 9/11 Changed Their Lives and Their Work". American Bar Association Journal. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Precious, Tom (December 1, 2008). "Paterson critical of judicial finalists". The Buffalo News. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Virtanen, Michael (December 3, 2008). "Paterson not happy with picks for Chief Judge". Troy Record. Retrieved September 15, 2018.
- "Attorney Evan A. Davis to be Honored with Gold Medal Award by the New York State Bar Association". New York State Bar Association. January 26, 2016. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "Weddings: Mary C. Rothwell and Evan A. Davis". New York Times. February 26, 1995. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "Remarks of Evan A. Davis at Episcopal Charities Tribute Dinner, November 19, 2014". The Episcopal Church of Heavenly Rest. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Davis, Evan A. (June 2003). "The Meaning of Professional Independence". Columbia Law Review. 103 (5): 1281–1292. doi:10.2307/1123837.