|Born||December 18, 1981|
Eugene, Oregon, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||70 kg (154 lb; 11 st 0 lb)|
|Reach||70 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Team||Xtreme Couture Dunham Jiu Jitsu|
|Rank||1st degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Wellington "Megaton" Dias and Robert Drysdale|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||University of Oregon|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Evan Neil Dunham (born December 18, 1981) is an American retired professional mixed martial artist formerly competing in the lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, where he was the #13 contender in official UFC rankings.
Dunham, born and raised in Eugene, Oregon, began wrestling in middle school and continued at Winston Churchill High School. Dunham later attended the University of Oregon, and in 2000 he began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. He graduated with a degree in sociology, and worked in various jobs before becoming a fighter full-time.
Mixed martial arts career
In an amateur bout in 2006 (a year before his professional debut), Dunham fought fellow future UFC lightweight Gray Maynard. Dunham lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Dunham made his professional debut in 2007; he had five fights total that year. After winning six straight, Dunham was invited to fight for Palace Fighting Championship, a mid-size organization. He won his fight over Team Alpha Male's Dustin Akbari via rear-naked choke submission and remained undefeated.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Dunham had his second fight in the UFC when he defeated returning veteran Marcus Aurélio via split decision at UFC 102. He showed quick and accurate striking skills and displayed some excellent submission defense against the seasoned grappler.
Dunham's third fight was against The Ultimate Fighter 8 winner, Efrain Escudero on January 11, 2010 at UFC Fight Night 20 where the fight was the co-main event. Dunham rallied from a rough first round, taking the second and finally finishing with an armbar in the third round, nearly breaking Escudero's arm. The submission earned him an extra $30,000 for winning Submission of the Night honors.
Dunham faced Xtreme Couture standout and ex-training partner Tyson Griffin, on June 12, 2010 at UFC 115. Dunham was dominant in all three rounds, taking Griffin's back on numerous occasions and effectively countering strikes. He won the fight via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28).
Dunham faced former UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk on September 25, 2010 at UFC 119. He received the first loss of his MMA career via controversial split decision. Sherk utilized his wrestling during round 1, opening up a large cut above Dunham's right eye and boxing well in the early part of round 2, while Dunham utilized submissions and effective striking throughout the latter parts of rounds 2 and 3. UFC president Dana White later said that he felt Dunham was 'robbed'. The bout was awarded Fight of the Night honors.
Dunham was expected to face Kenny Florian at UFC 126, but the bout instead was moved to headline UFC Fight Night 23 on January 22, 2011. Dunham confirmed the fight on his personal Facebook page. However, on December 6, Florian pulled out of the bout due to injury. Instead, Melvin Guillard, who had been set to fight Yves Edwards on the preliminary card, took on Dunham in the main event. Dunham lost via TKO in the first round after getting continuously hit by combinations from the much faster Guillard.
Dunham was expected to face Paul Sass on January 28, 2012 at UFC on Fox 2. However, Sass was dropped from the bout because of an injury and replaced by Nik Lentz. Dunham defeated Lentz via TKO (doctor stoppage) at the conclusion of the second round. The back and forth action earned both fighters Fight of the Night honors for their performance.
Dunham was expected to face Mark Bocek on April 16, 2014 at The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale. However, Dunham pulled out of the bout in the week leading up to the event with an undisclosed injury.
Dunham was expected to face Leonardo Santos on June 4, 2016 at UFC 199. However, Santos pulled out on April 29 due to an undisclosed injury and was replaced by James Vick. In turn, Dunham pulled out of that pairing on May 5 for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by Beneil Dariush.
Dunham was scheduled to face Abel Trujillo on September 17, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 94. However, Trujillo pulled out of the fight on September 5, citing an undisclosed injury and was replaced by former WSOF Featherweight Champion and promotional newcomer Rick Glenn. He won the fight via unanimous decision. Both participants were awarded Fight of the Night for their performance.
The bout with Trujillo was rescheduled and was expected to take place on February 4, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 104. However, on January 19, Dunham pulled out of the fight with an injury and was replaced by James Vick.
Dunham was expected to face Mairbek Taisumov on April 7, 2018 at UFC 223. However, Taisumov was removed from the fight on March 9 for alleged visa issues, restricting his travel. Dunham instead faced Olivier Aubin-Mercier at the event. He lost the fight by TKO in the first round.
Dunham faced Francisco Trinaldo on September 22, 2018 at UFC Fight Night 137. He lost the fight via knockout in the second round due to a knee to the body. He announced his retirement after the fight.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|27 matches||18 wins||8 losses|
|Loss||18–8–1||Francisco Trinaldo||TKO (knee to the body)||UFC Fight Night: Santos vs. Anders||September 22, 2018||2||4:10||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Loss||18–7–1||Olivier Aubin-Mercier||TKO (knees to the body and punches)||UFC 223||April 7, 2018||1||0:53||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
|Draw||18–6–1||Beneil Dariush||Draw (majority)||UFC 216||October 7, 2017||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||18–6||Rick Glenn||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Johnson||September 17, 2016||3||5:00||Hidalgo, Texas, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||17–6||Joe Lauzon||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber Finale||December 11, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||16–6||Ross Pearson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Bisping vs. Leites||July 18, 2015||3||5:00||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Win||15–6||Rodrigo Damm||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 182||January 3, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–6||Edson Barboza||TKO (body kick and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs. Miller||July 16, 2014||1||3:06||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||14–5||Donald Cerrone||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||2||3:49||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–4||Rafael dos Anjos||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||3||5:00||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Win||14–3||Gleison Tibau||Decision (split)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||13–3||TJ Grant||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 152||September 22, 2012||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||13–2||Nik Lentz||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis||January 28, 2012||2||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–2||Shamar Bailey||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Shields vs. Ellenberger||September 17, 2011||3||5:00||New Orleans, Louisiana, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Melvin Guillard||TKO (knees)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 2||January 22, 2011||1||2:58||Fort Hood, Texas, United States|
|Loss||11–1||Sean Sherk||Decision (split)||UFC 119||September 25, 2010||3||5:00||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||11–0||Tyson Griffin||Decision (split)||UFC 115||June 12, 2010||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||10–0||Efrain Escudero||Submission (armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||3||1:59||Fairfax, Virginia, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||9–0||Marcus Aurélio||Decision (split)||UFC 102||August 29, 2009||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||8–0||Per Eklund||KO (punches)||UFC 95||February 21, 2009||1||2:13||London, England|
|Win||7–0||Dustin Akbari||Submission (rear-naked choke)||PFC 12: High Stakes||January 22, 2009||3||0:40||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Eben Kaneshiro||TKO (punches)||RFC: Bragging Rights II||September 13, 2008||2||3:05||Eugene, Oregon, United States|
|Win||5–0||Cleber Luciano||Submission (guillotine choke)||PFP: Ring of Fire||December 9, 2007||3||N/A||Quezon City, Philippines|
|Win||4–0||Talon Hoffman||Submission (guillotine choke)||DesertBrawl||September 28, 2007||1||0:38||Bend, Oregon, United States|
|Win||3–0||Mark Daoust||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Elite Warriors Championship||June 2, 2007||1||3:46||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||2–0||Nassor Lewis||Submission (armbar)||Rise FC 2: Hawaii vs. Mainland||April 28, 2007||1||1:16||Eugene, Oregon, United States|
|Win||1–0||Gabriel Martinez||Decision (unanimous)||GC 62: Sprawl or Brawl||April 14, 2007||2||5:00||Lakeport, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Bisping vs. Leites". UFC.com. Retrieved July 19, 2015.
- "Evan Dunham - Official UFC® Fighter Profile". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Evan Dunham". Tapology. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- Chris Nelson (March 8, 2010). "Unbeaten UFC lightweight Evan Dunham (10-0) was awarded his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt last..." bloodyelbow.com.
- Steven Marrocco (March 8, 2010). "UFC lightweight Evan Dunham on BJJ black belt and UFC 115 training for Tyson Griffin". MMAjunkie.com.
- "Evan Dunham - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved September 17, 2016.
- "- UFC 102: EVAN DUNHAM HELPS KEEP DAD IN BUSINESS - MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more". 2009-08-27. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- UFC Fighter Rankings Archived May 26, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- "– UFC 102: EVAN DUNHAM HELPS KEEP DAD IN BUSINESS - MMAWeekly.com". cdn.mmaweekly.com.
- "UFC 102: EVAN DUNHAM HELPS KEEP DAD IN BUSINESS". MMAWEEKLY.com. 2009-08-24. Archived from the original on August 27, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
- Morgan, John. "Marcus Aurelio replaces injured Matt Veach and fights Evan Dunham on UFC 102 prelims". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2009-08-13. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Efrain Escudero Set to Face Evan Dunham, Not Nik Lentz, at UFN 20". mma.fanhouse.com. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- Dan Stupp. "UFC Fight Night 20, co-headliners officially announced for Jan. 11 in Fairfax, Va". MMAJunkie.
- Jesse Holland. "UFC Fight Night 20 bonuses and awards for 'Maynard vs Diaz' Spike TV fights". MMAMania.com.
- "UFC 115: Tyson Griffin vs Evan Dunham on tap for June 12". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Evan Dunham and Sean Sherk targeted for lightweight matchup at UFC 119". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "FLORIAN VS. DUNHAM AGREED FOR SUPER BOWL CARD". mmaweekly.com. 2010-10-08.
- "Florian vs. Dunham To Main Event Fight For The Troops 2". heavy.com. November 2, 2010.
- "Evan Dunham Confirms UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Bout Against Kenny Florian". MMAWeekly.com. November 3, 2010.
- "Kenny Florian Injured, Melvin Guillard To Face Evan Dunham". Heavy.com. December 6, 2010.
- "UFC 132: Evan Dunham vs George Sotiropoulos booked for Fourth of July weekend event". MMAmania.com. March 17, 2010.
- "Rafael dos Anjos replaces Evan Dunham, meets George Sotiropoulos at UFC 132". mmajunkie.com. May 4, 2011.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Shamar Bailey set for UFC Fight Night 25". mmajunkie.com. July 17, 2011.
- ESPN staff (December 1, 2011). "Paul Sass gets Dunham test at UFC on Fox 2". espn.co.uk. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "Evan Dunham vs Nik Lentz announced for UFC on Fox 2 with Paul Sass scratched". mmamania.com. December 26, 2011.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Edson Barboza added to UFC 146 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. February 19, 2012.
- "Jamie Varner Replaces Injured Evan Dunham at UFC 146". 5thround.com. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "UFC 152 adds Evan Dunham vs. T.J. Grant". mmajunkie.com. July 19, 2012.
- "UFC 152 Bonus Winners". TopMMANews.com. September 22, 2012.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Gleison Tibau Added to UFC 156". mmaweekly.com. December 6, 2012.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Rafael dos Anjos added to UFC on FX 8". mmajunkie.com. February 26, 2013.
- Steven Marrocco (2013-05-19). "UFC on FX 8 results: Rafael dos Anjos edges Evan Dunham". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- Steven Marrocco (2013-11-16). "UFC 167 results: Relentless Donald Cerrone submits Evan Dunham in second". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Keith Grienke (2014-01-30). "Bocek to Face Dunham at TUF Finale in Quebec". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- John Morgan (2014-04-07). "Evan Dunham out at TUF Nations Finale, promotion seeks replacement for Mark Bocek". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- Tom Ngo (2014-05-06). "Edson Barboza Battles Evan Dunham at UFC Fight Night Atlantic City". 5thround.com. Retrieved 2014-05-06.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-07-16). "UFC Fight Night 45 results: Edson Barboza crumples Evan Dunham with body kick". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-10-11). "Lightweights Evan Dunham, Rodrigo Damm booked for UFC 182 in Las Vegas". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- Lee Williams (2015-05-25). "Pearson vs Dunham booked for UFC Fight Night Glasgow". mmacrazytv.com. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
- Brent Brookhouse (18 July 2015). "UFC Fight Night 72 results: Ross Pearson survives armbar, but falls to Evan Dunham". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Damon Martin (2015-08-19). "Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale confirmed, two fights added to Dec 11 card in Las Vegas". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-12-11). "TUF 22 Finale results: Evan Dunham busts up Joe Lauzon over three rounds". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-03-15). "Evan Dunham suffers 'small injury', fight with Leonardo Santos moved to UFC 199". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- Dave Meltzer (2016-04-29). "James Vick steps in to face Evan Dunham in lightweight duel at UFC 199". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Ariel Helwani (2016-05-05). "James Vick vs. Beneil Dariush targeted for UFC 199". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- Staff (2016-07-18). "UFC Fight Night 94 adds four bouts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- Matt Erickson (2016-09-08). "With Trujillo out vs. Evan Dunham next week in Texas, UFC turning to a former WSOF champion". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-09-17). "UFC Fight Night 94 results: Evan Dunham tops Rick Glenn by decision in entertaining brawl". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-09-17). "UFC Fight Night bonuses: Johnson, Dunham, Glenn, Skelly pocket $50K Awards". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- Mike Jackson (2016-12-04). "UFC announces lineup for Superbowl weekend Fight Night in Houston". mikethetruth.com. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- MMA Fighting Newswire (2017-01-19). "After injuries to original opponents, James Vick and Abel Trujillo fight in Houston". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- Mike Sloan (2017-08-02). "UFC 216 bolstered with several bouts". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-08-02.
- "UFC 216 results: Beneil Dariush strong early, but Evan Dunham rallies to force majority draw". MMAjunkie. 2017-10-08. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- Tristem Critchfield (2018-02-27). "UFC 223 update: Mairbek Taisumov vs. Evan Dunham official for Brooklyn on April 7". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- Peter Carroll (2018-03-09). "Mairbek Taisumov withdraws from UFC 223 due to visa delay". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- Alexander K. Lee (2018-03-11). "Olivier Aubin-Mercier to fight Evan Dunham at UFC 223". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- "UFC 223 results: Olivier Aubin-Mercier takes out Evan Dunham in 53 seconds". MMAjunkie. 2018-04-08. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- Guilherme Cruz and Shaun Al-Shatti (2018-07-23). "Evan Dunham vs. Francisco Trinaldo verbally agreed for UFC Sao Paulo". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "UFC Sao Paulo results: Francisco Trinaldo knee to the body flattens Evan Dunham". MMAjunkie. 2018-09-23. Retrieved 2018-09-23.
- Mike Bohn (August 20, 2018). "Evan Dunham says he's retiring with 'head held high' after UFC Fight Night 137". mmajunkie.com.