Evan J. Crane
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Evan J. Crane
|Born||February 14, 1889|
|Died||December 30, 1966 (aged 77)|
|Known for||editor of Chemical Abstracts|
In 1958, at the 134th national meeting of the American Chemical Society, Crane was presented with a commemorative scroll from the ACS Division of Chemical Literature, worded as follows:
For Outstanding Contributions to Chemical Literature:
- 1: His superlative long-time editing of the world's outstanding abstracts journal, Chemical Abstracts;
- 2: His senior authorship of the classic book, A Guide to the Literature of Chemistry;
- 3: His many contributions to the development of chemical nomenclature;
- 4: His pioneering contributions during formation of the Division of Chemical Literature, culminating in his service as the Division's first elected Chairman.
- A Guide to the Literature of Chemistry, by E. J. Crane and Austin M. Patterson (Wiley, 1927) (2nd edition: 1957, with Eleanor B. Marr)
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current (database on-line). Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
- Thurlow, K. J. (1998). Chemical Nomenclature. Springer. p. 69. ISBN 9780751404753. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- Raber, Linda (7 April 2008). "1951: Evan J. Crane (1889–1966)". C&EN. 86 (14). Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "University Awards & Recognition: Honorary Degrees Awarded". Ohio State University. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "The Patterson-Crane Award (co-sponsored with the Dayton Section)". Columbus Section of the American Chemical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Scroll of Appreciation". Chemical Literature. 10 (4): 1. Winter 1958. Retrieved 14 January 2015.