Evangelical Lutheran Church in Oldenburg
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Oldenburg (German: Evangelisch-Lutherische Kirche in Oldenburg) is a Lutheran church in the German state of Lower Saxony. The seat of the church leaders is in Oldenburg, as is the preaching venue of its bishop at St. Lamberti Church.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Oldenburg is a regional church (German: Landeskirche) and a full member of the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD). As one of just two regional churches in the EKD, the church is only a guest member of the United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Germany (VELKD) and the Union of Evangelical Churches (UEK). The church is also a full member of the Community of Protestant Churches in Europe and the Lutheran World Federation.
The Lutheran Reformation came to the County of Oldenburg beginning in 1527. Until the German Revolution in 1918, the church was a state church and the monarch was the acting bishop (summus episcopus, or supreme governor) of the church. In 1922 the Church in Oldenburg counted 291,000 parishioners.
Leadership of the church
The synod is the highest leading authority in the Church. The election of the 60 members (two-thirds laypersons and one-third clerics) of the synod is for six years.
Leading persons and bishops in history
- 1893–1904: Martin Bernhard Schomann, president
- 1904–1920: Eugen von Finckh, president
- 1920–1934: Heinrich Tilemann, president
- 1934–1944: Johannes Volkers, bishop
- 1945–1952: Wilhelm Stählin, bishop
- 1952−1953: bishop crisis: Wilhelm Hahn was elected, but not inaugurated.
- 1954–1967: Gerhard Jacobi, bishop
- 1967–1985: Hans-Heinrich Harms, bishop
- 1985–1998: Wilhelm Sievers, bishop
- 1998–2008: Peter Krug, bishop
- 2008−today: Jan Janssen, bishop
- http://www.kirche-oldenburg.de (Evangelical Lutheran Church in Oldenburg)
- The Lutheran World Federation – 2013 Membership Figures Lutheran World
- Cnf. Hermann Hamelmann, Oldenburgisch Chronicon, Oldenburg 1599, p. 363.
- Sebastian Müller-Rolli in collaboration with Reiner Anselm, Evangelische Schulpolitik in Deutschland 1918–1958: Dokumente und Darstellung, Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1999, (=Eine Veröffentlichung des Comenius-Instituts Münster), p. 30. ISBN 3-525-61362-8.
- Cnf. DER SPIEGEL No. 08/1953, issue from 18 Feb 1953, p. 12 (German)