This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||United Kingdom and Ireland|
Evans is a women's clothing retailer located in the United Kingdom and around the world. They have over 300 stores around the UK selling plus-size clothing, lingerie, wide fitting shoes, swimwear and accessories.
- Evans was founded in 1930 by the manufacturer Jack Green.
- After 40 years as a limited company, the Burton Group (now Arcadia Group) acquired Evans and it became a public company.
- Mail order purchases were introduced in 1972, just after Evans had expanded to over 77 branches nationwide and in 1988 became the market leader for women's wear above a UK size 14.
- In 1994, the first Evans brochure featured in Good Housekeeping and Prima Magazine, consisting of just 12 pages.
- In 1997, Evans launched SeVen, a more fashion-led label for the younger customers and also became the first Arcadia brand to start selling online.
- In 1998, Helen Teague and her comedian partner Dawn French launched the 1647 range, exclusively designed for Evans.
- In 2007, Crystal Renn became the official face of Evans, featuring in the first TV advertising campaign and all in-store merchandising.
- In 2009, Beth Ditto of the indie rock band the Gossip launched the Beth Ditto at Evans collection, also exclusive to the retailer.
- In 2011, launched In USA and started providing delivery services to over 100 countries.
Designers at Evans
Beth Ditto, in collaboration with head of design Lisa Marie Peacock, launched her first plus-size clothing collection for Evans on 9 July 2009. Ditto provided sketches and drew inspiration from her favourite vintage and charity shop clothes as well as bands like Blondie, The Slits and Grace Jones, and Art Deco movements. Some of the most popular items in the first collection included a domino-print dress and leggings, a stained glass-effect printed dress and a royal blue jumpsuit, as well as a biker jacket, denim pencil skirt and more. Her second collection for Evans launched in 2010 with just over 20 individual items. Marianne Kirby, writing in The Guardian, said the "collection struck a nerve with its iconic pieces" and that it was an "international success".
In 2012, British couture label Clements Ribeiro introduced the Swan range for Evans. The range has proved popular – Adele wore a dress at a gig in Canada and was reported to have bought the whole range. Raquel. Garcia.
- Alexander, Hilary (6 July 2009). "Beth Ditto's collection for Evans". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Kirby, Marianne (21 September 2010). "Beth Ditto collection reveals gap in the fat fashion market". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Pithers, Ellie (26 March 2012). "First look at Clements Ribeiro for Evans". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- London, Bianca (10 September 2012). "First look: Adele's favourite design duo Clements Ribeiro unveil their latest collection for plus size chain Evans". Daily Mail. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
|This article about a retailer in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|